Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice...

Options
  • 15-04-2014 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I called in sick last week because I am so stressed out with work, we are so busy and understaffed. Its not so much the workload that gets to me its the pulling and dragging from so many different people looking for stuff to get done. They all want their piece out of you and they want it there and then, I explained this to the doctor and he gave me a cert for the end of the week and all of this week and he wrote on the cert stress from work, I didn't want to take that much time off work and after mulling over it for the weekend decided to go back tell the doctor to change the cert to something else. He said he would as long as I had a private word with my immediate boss, today I called my boss to a private meeting and explained my case. He told me that he hasn't been happy with my performance for the past few months and that he was sending me to the nurse, I'm not sure what to do now or what to expect, I'm worried he's trying to make it look like the issue is all with me and has nothing to do with work, appreciate advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

Hi ya. Just wondering what your boss meant when he said that he wasn't happy with your performance and now he is sending you to the nurse? not too sure what area you are working in but are you affiliated to a trade union? if so perhaps a quite word in your union reps ear for advice wouldn't hurt.

Also you boss has a duty of care to his staff to keep them safe and in a healthy working environment, start as you mean to go on and don't let him walk over you. Best of luck!

By the way, something to remember on your next visit to your GP, your GP on your instructions does not have to fill in a reason as to why you are out sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Better here I think OP.
    Can anyone who has followed this thread please ensure you have read the charter here before posting.

Thanks
    Taltos

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Do you have a H&S policy at work?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What to do now is go to the nurse, and answer the questions s/he asks.

Also, go to your union and ask for their help.

And figure out how to get your performance back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

I called in sick last week because I am so stressed out with work, we are so busy and understaffed. Its not so much the workload that gets to me its the pulling and dragging from so many different people looking for stuff to get done. They all want their piece out of you and they want it there and then, I explained this to the doctor and he gave me a cert for the end of the week and all of this week and he wrote on the cert stress from work, I didn't want to take that much time off work and after mulling over it for the weekend decided to go back tell the doctor to change the cert to something else. He said he would as long as I had a private word with my immediate boss, today I called my boss to a private meeting and explained my case. He told me that he hasn't been happy with my performance for the past few months and that he was sending me to the nurse, I'm not sure what to do now or what to expect, I'm worried he's trying to make it look like the issue is all with me and has nothing to do with work, appreciate advice

I know it's easy for me to say this, but you will need to be a little more assertive here. You can't please all the people all the time.

You need to be able to prioritise - and to manage expectations. Are you being dumped on? If so, you'll need to deal with this. Smile sweetly and say "No problem - I'll try to have that for you next Friday. I'm backed up with work for X (senior person)."

If your boss isn't happy with your performance, then he should be proactive - and not waiting for you to go to him. Ask him for a meeting. Ask him what the problem is. Explain the under-staffing and ask him what he'd like you to prioritise - then do it - to the letter. You need to manage upwards and protect your own reputation also.

It's not easy to do this - but you will need to do some of it to see an improvement. Take a deep breath and start - once you do, you'll feel much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    By the way, something to remember on your next visit to your GP, your GP on your instructions does not have to fill in a reason as to why you are out sick.

There's a chance that an absence policy might require some specifics on the sick leave though.

And if stress is an issue (which is a symptom of something else, not an illness), then trying to hide it isn't going to address the problems at work.
    He told me that he hasn't been happy with my performance for the past few months

Was this a surprise for you to hear this? It's poor management on your boss' behalf to let it go this far without letting you know.

Advertisement