Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grow herbs at home

• 16-04-2014 9:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

I want to grow a few herbs at home (indoors in pots on my window sill)

My living room faces south so can put them there

Was thinking of basil and rosemary and parsley

Are these herbs that will grow indoors in a pot for me ? What is the best way to get started?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,677 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Basil would be ok in a sunny window, but I have never had much luck with growing parsley indoors, and rosemary is definitely an outside shrub. It would be possible though. Since you are not likely to want enough plants to set up a nursery :-) I suggest you buy small plants from a garden centre and repot into slightly larger pots.

Keep them watered from the bottom (stand the pot in a saucer or cachepot) and look out for aphids - tiny bugs that collect on the stems of the plants and will kill them - as well as making them unappealing to eat. Don't spray with aphid (greenfly)killer, spray with water with a very tiny (like one drop) of washing up liquid. Or hold the compost down with your hand and swish the plant in a bowl of cold, slightly soapy water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

so what other herb would be suited to a window sill indoors besides basil ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Coriander would be another ideal one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I've had good luck with chives, coriander and thyme, as well as parsley & basil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cowboyjoe

I actually just bought thyme, rosemary and mint (already grown) in mini containers and repotted them with compost/soil mix and some stones down the bottom in one larger pot. My gardening consultant (my mother) advised me that they would all grow well inside facing south in one larger pot.

went to a faceless garden centre (wont say who) and didnt get much help

went to a local garden centre then and your man was so helpful. Moved the herbs to a new pot for me and filled it with compost for nothing.

Now i have mint / rosemary and parsley all nice and snug on my window sill :-)

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Mint grows like a weed. I hope you like Mojitos! :D

Heroditas wrote: »

You bet I do !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Heroditas wrote: »

looksee advised me as such and by God it's the truth. I stuck it in a pot of it's own and it's gone mental :p

I also planted Rosemary and while out side I was looking a big scrub thing and wondering what to do with it until I look at it closer as it looked familar and low and behold it was a rosemary "hedge" . I've more rosemary now than you could shake a stick at :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 reena

Hi I am planning to grow herbs as well I grew basil but it died in few weeks. Could any one please suggest what is best soil to use . I used multipurpose compost earlier but don't know what was my mistake.

Thanks

Advertisement