Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any idea how to open this?

Options
  • 16-04-2014 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I got a present of a bottle of Chinese alcohol from a co-worker. I don't know how to open it.

As you can see from the picture, it's make of clay or something like clay, and there is a key attached. My coworker said I should open it with the key, but I can't work out how.

I'm wondering if anybody has seen anything like this before and has any suggestions?

(apologies to mods for the size of the image - I don't know how to resize it. If you'd prefer, I can make it a link instead.)

10171207_10151974346716179_4648859021102726443_n.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

Does the key that is attached around the neck of the bottle not slit into the cap which seems to have 2 slits on either side?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It does, but there is plenty of room to spare.

and, maybe it isn't easy to see, but if you look inside those slits, you can see more clay. I think that what you can see inside is part of the main body of the bottle, and the lid/cap drops down over it.

Under the two slits, you can also see a thin line that goes around the neck. This is where the two parts come together, and as far as I can see, they are glued/stuck together.

If I put the key into either of those slits, all I can really do is use it as a lever to force the top up. And I'd be forcing the top up by forcing the rest of the cap down, so I can only see it cracking along the line of the slits.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

No pic there. Any chance of a link? I'm quite curious...

That's cruel... Giving an Irishman a bottle with a lock that won't open :D

Oink wrote: »
    No pic there. Any chance of a link? I'm quite curious...

I could open it easily by running a knife through the glue between the cap and the rest, or just force it open. I'd prefer to open it 'the right way', if there is one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 lucylucy608

yes,very great!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

osarusan wrote: »
    It does, but there is plenty of room to spare.

and, maybe it isn't easy to see, but if you look inside those slits, you can see more clay. I think that what you can see inside is part of the main body of the bottle, and the lid/cap drops down over it.

Under the two slits, you can also see a thin line that goes around the neck. This is where the two parts come together, and as far as I can see, they are glued/stuck together.

If I put the key into either of those slits, all I can really do is use it as a lever to force the top up. And I'd be forcing the top up by forcing the rest of the cap down, so I can only see it cracking along the line of the slits.

Is it not a case of simply rotating the lid of the bottle until you are able to use the key correctly?

Is it not a case of simply rotating the lid of the bottle until you are able to use the key correctly?

No, the lid was glued on - couldn't be rotated.

A colleague googled the chinese characters on the bottle and found it that it is indeed supposed to be levered/broken open, so I did that.

The alcohol inside is unremarkable, apart from being pretty strong at 50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Oink wrote: »

If it's Moutai inside it's even crueller to give him a bottle with a lock that will open ! .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

osarusan wrote: »
    A colleague googled the chinese characters on the bottle and found it that it is indeed supposed to be levered/broken open, so I did that.

What was the key for then ? .:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

The key is inserted in the slot and used as a lever to break the top off the ceramic. The idea is that the empty bottle cannot then be refilled and resold with fake or inferior baijiu.

Advertisement