Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike running rough after service and carb clean

• 16-04-2014 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

I got the bike fully serviced and got the barbs cleaned and tuned also.

Was running great for a week and now it is running rough on occasions and feels like its runniong outta fuel. I switched petrol staions just to see if it was dirty fuel but no luck.

I will tick over but just idle rough. When cruising it sounds like a v-twin but when i open the throttle it cklear out only to return rough when cruisding again.

it can happen at anytime but say in the morning but be fine in the afternoon or vise versa!

Carbs blocked again? Fuel Pump? Fuel Tap?

I did replace a fuel pump relay and cleaned the tap filter before Xmas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Cant read that black writing mate its too early in the morning.....:p

Make and model of bike will help and what year is it?

Did you wash it after the big service?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Is it running rough more so in the mornings. Carb icing could be a possibility?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Cant read that black writing mate its too early in the morning.....:p

Make and model of bike will help and what year is it?

Did you wash it after the big service?

Sorry my work browser is hormonal.....98n Kwasaki P3 ZX7R Ninja

Nope not washed
    leppla wrote: »
    Is it running rough more so in the mornings. Carb icing could be a possibility?

Is it not to warm for carb icing?? Happens in the afternoon too so I doubt its carb icing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What kind of carb cleaning was done? Was it a case of spraying a bit of carb cleaner through them or a proper ultrasonic job?
    If it was the former then probably whats happened is that the varnish that accumulates inside them has come loose and is blocking one or more jets.
    Does it run better with the choke ? if it does then its probably pilot jets that are blocked.
    Strip them and get them ultrasonically cleaned, refit and balance them and you should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Is it not to warm for carb icing?? Happens in the afternoon too so I doubt its carb icing!

No apparently its not. It does not have to be freezing for carb icing to occur. It has to do with the temperature in relation to the dew point. See here

• Advertisement

leppla wrote: »
    No apparently its not. It does not have to be freezing for carb icing to occur. It has to do with the temperature in relation to the dew point. See here

Ah I see, time to sell and go injection haha
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    What kind of carb cleaning was done? Was it a case of spraying a bit of carb cleaner through them or a proper ultrasonic job?
    If it was the former then probably whats happened is that the varnish that accumulates inside them has come loose and is blocking one or more jets.
    Does it run better with the choke ? if it does then its probably pilot jets that are blocked.
    Strip them and get them ultrasonically cleaned, refit and balance them and you should be good.

They were ultrasonically cleaned, yes actually it does run better with the choke on full!!

Pulled off the tank and cleaned the tap filters...all good.

Pulled off the air-box and searched for any lose hoses etc...all good

So looks like its the carbs themselves :(

Advertisement