Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats it like to live in Kilmeage

Options
  • 16-04-2014 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

Whats it like to live in Kilmeage, Co. Kildare? We are thinking of renting there but don't know the area too well.

Thanks
    Aoife

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

What are you looking for?

It's....rural. Quite nice of an area, but not exactly a bustling metropolis.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AoifeTurner

somewhere nice I dont mind rural. We are moving from London so I will welcome that :)
    I have a 23 month old son - is there activities for kids in the area or would you have to go to clane, naas?
    I will be looking to commute to dublin at some point for work is it a nightmare? lol
    what is in the village itself?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I drive through it sometimes to get to Newbridge. It wouldn't be my cup of tea, personally.

It seems quite remote and there's not much in the village. There's one pub which looks very small and run down. A lot of the shops look to be closed for business.

I'm sure others will say differently but that's just my opinion on it. I wouldn't like to live there.

Clane, Newbridge, Naas, Sallins would be better locations.. but probably a bit dearer.

Thanks for your reply Xzanti

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

xzanti wrote: »
    I drive through it sometimes to get to Newbridge. It wouldn't be my cup of tea, personally.

It seems quite remote and there's not much in the village. There's one pub which looks very small and run down. A lot of the shops look to be closed for business.

I'm sure others will say differently but that's just my opinion on it. I wouldn't like to live there.

Clane, Newbridge, Naas, Sallins would be better locations.. but probably a bit dearer.

I will second everything here. The post office is gone now too. Hairdresser, chipper, shop, pub, butcher. 2 creches. You're going to be renting, so I'd pick sallins, clane or Naas tbh. Set yourself up where there are an abundance of schools, otherwise you will be on the road permanently.

• Advertisement

we were only thinking of a year lease until we get settled and start to know the areas
    I dont need to worry about schools for a bit as my son is only 23 months old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Kilcullen would be ideal for you Aoife in my opinion. I would call it half way between a town and a village. While Newbridge or Naas might be to big or expensive for you Kilmeage is the polar opposite. It has nothing and what you save in rent you'll spend on petrol/diesel. Kilcullen would be a step above that. Has some nice amenities and decent shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭lilydonoghue

Is it kilmeague village or the 'hinterland'. I commute from kilmeague to Dublin 4 days a week and its okay. the surrounding area (hinterland) is very nice and safe. I live about 15 mins drive from the village and shop in naas or newbridge

Killcullen sounds lovely :) something to think about

The house in Kilmeage we were looking at was in the village

So commute is not too bad then

Don't want my son in childcare 12 hours a day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MotorMike

Kilmeague-Absolute no no.

Naas,Sallins,Clane is where would be ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Commute into dublin driving, you're talking 45-50 minutes. With a small kid I'd go for clane or sallins as other posters say.

Thanks for all the helpful replies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭2011abc

Would aggree with all previous posters .

There isn't much on daft.ie at the moment any other avenues for finding a place to rent?

Falcondale do lettings in the Newbridge,naas,Kildare,Kilcullen area. http://www.falcondale.com/
    Myhome is another one http://www.myhome.ie/

Thanks Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

"Kill me, age". It wasn't meant to be a place name, it was someone from there begging to be put out of their misery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Clane or Sallins would be better. No much in Kilmeague. The pubs are rough in it. Decent chippers but crap shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

Drive through it all the time and for such a nothing of a place gives me a bad vibe for no particular reason.

Remember also recently seeing a comment from a poster on here about the absurd level anti-social behaviour for what is only a bend in the road.

Only other experience of it was that got a lottery ticket from the local shop and again felt a weird atmosphere for no reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

jodaw wrote: »
    Drive through it all the time and for such a nothing of a place gives me a bad vibe for no particular reason.

Remember also recently seeing a comment from a poster on here about the absurd level anti-social behaviour for what is only a bend in the road.

Only other experience of it was that got a lottery ticket from the local shop and again felt a weird atmosphere for no reason.

same here..:)

• Advertisement

"Kill me, age". It wasn't meant to be a place name, it was someone from there begging to be put out of their misery.
    Brilliant :)

jodaw wrote: »

same here..:)
    Gives me a real children of the corn vibe when I have to stop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

ken wrote: »
    Gives me a real children of the corn vibe when I have to stop there.

I thought it was only me..................looked at a house there years ago and just did not get a good feeling about the place in general..........also heard at the time it was very "rough", did not really understand that either.........who exactly was being rough - there was not many people there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Wordless

Ummm is it technically in North or South Kildare, if North you will find it automatically very desirable if south...well you all know what ''they'' are like.

Nota bene: joke.

Wordless wrote: »
    Ummm is it technically in North or South Kildare, if North you will find it automatically very desirable if south...well you all know what ''they'' are like.

It's in the middle.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    It's in the middle.

Even harder to tell :)

Even harder to tell :)

Tis a mad place. The last time I went drinking there I saw a big bear of a man pull a urinal off the wall and throw it at the barman because he wouldn't serve him.

Tis a mad place. The last time I went drinking there I saw a big bear of a man pull a urinal off the wall and throw it at the barman because he wouldn't serve him.

Ha ha Eleson House?

Ha ha Eleson House?

Indeed. Fecking mad house.

• Advertisement

Indeed. Fecking mad house.

Played a gig or two there crazy indeed :)

Advertisement