Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon has it all!

• 16-04-2014 10:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭

A new ladies fashion shop opened in town yesterday with a lovely selection at reasonable prices.
    Roscommon town has it all and main street is coming alive again.
    It's great!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭cena

Addle wrote: »
    A new ladies fashion shop opened in town yesterday with a lovely selection at reasonable prices.
    Roscommon town has it all and main street is coming alive again.
    It's great!

It doesn't have a cinema anymore. It was so handy than driving to athlone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Ya, it's a pity, but Athlone isn't a million miles away.
    I live in a city and it can take me as long to get to the cinema from where I live sometimes.

I was home this weekend.
    Coming into town from the Athlone side, huge crane in view!

Had friends with me who'd never been in Roscommon town before.
    They were so impressed with everything. And I was very proud!

We did our bit for the economy in the shops yesterday, lunch out, walk around the park. We were out last night, U21 success being celebrated, parade today and another lovely meal out.

The fab weather helped of course. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭cena

A good shopping center would be nice. I know athlone cinema is not far away but Roscommon is a 15 minutes drive to 30mins drive

There are decent ladieswear, menswear, shoe and accessory shops in town. You wouldn't be stuck having to do all your shopping in Roscommon. And then it's nice to go elsewhere for shopping trips!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Free parking too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

cena wrote: »
    A good shopping center would be nice. I know athlone cinema is not far away but Roscommon is a 15 minutes drive to 30mins drive

It would rip the heart out of the town centre, happens everywhere. Best to develop sustainably what is already there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭westmidlands

I live in North East Galway, about 25 minutes from Roscommon, always go to Roscommon over Galway, apart from the fact its nearer you don't have all the traffic and parking hassle. Have to say it's a really nice town, always get everything I need there, love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Whatever happened to the cinema lads??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭peterk675

Whatever happened to the cinema lads??

Money owed. nuff said

peterk675 wrote: »
    Money owed. nuff said

The second coming was short lived and bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Golf course, race course, hotels, rail link to Dublin, Galway etc. Handy enough run to Knock Airport, Access to motorway network, not overpopulated, good standard housing, access to third level in Athlone, Galway. Up and coming football team. There's a lot in Roscommon if you could get the right team of people to promote it. Good future then

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    There's a lot in Roscommon if you could get the right team of people to promote it. Good future then

Remind the canvassers doing the rounds of that.

peterk675 wrote: »
    Money owed. nuff said

Was it doing good business while open? The people of Ros town and surrounding areas had been crowing about a cinema for donkey's years, would be surprised if it wasn't making money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Was it doing good business while open? The people of Ros town and surrounding areas had been crowing about a cinema for donkey's years, would be surprised if it wasn't making money.

the people who opened the cinema didn't pay their bills.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    the people who opened the cinema didn't pay their bills.

Wonder was it a case of wouldn't or couldn't?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Addle wrote: »
    Remind the canvassers doing the rounds of that.

I know what you are saying but if you are going to depend on politicians you are lost. Better to get a few good community and business minded people to get the town going. The local furniture shop staff that were on the Nora Casey show lately modernising the furniture store (McNallys??) showed great initiative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

Is there some sort of old house done up off the Athlone ROad?

'Carrowroe Park' - this one - http://www.roscommonpeople.ie/itemdetail.asp?itemID=10544&menu=d10544

I heard they would be opened like Castlecoote?

rustyzip wrote: »
    Is there some sort of old house done up off the Athlone ROad?

'Carrowroe Park' - this one - http://www.roscommonpeople.ie/itemdetail.asp?itemID=10544&menu=d10544

I heard they would be opened like Castlecoote?

Only open as part of the lamb festival afaik.

http://www.roscommonlambfestival.com/

And is there a new restaurant called Rogue & co on Main Street or am I seeing things on FB?!

And is there a new restaurant called Rogue & co on Main Street or am I seeing things on FB?!

I was in it at the weekend, it's lovely.
    Talk of another restaurant opening on the circular road too.

• Advertisement

new council building going up.
    Wards building new store across from Caseys.

the town is flying!

what's wards?

what's wards?

Builders supplies, DIY etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭peterk675

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    new council building going up.
    Wards building new store across from Caseys.

the town is flying!

Was wondering what that was :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

The town is grand. We just need the majority of people who drive around the "ring" road to learn what lane they should be in when approaching and exiting all the roundabouts, fair play to the council, they did in fact paint big arrows on some of the lanes but they are constantly ignored. The roads ( rural) around the town are in a terrible state, filled every few months, usually the day before or after a massive downpour.
    There is also a lot of empty shops & offices around the town, but yet more offices are being built. the cinema was a big let down, it's a shame it closed.
    I seem to remember there was going to be regular concerts in the Hyde but that didn't happen due to some sort of safety report (?) or certificate(?). That would of been a great boost to the local economy so long as it wasn't just catered to the older community, ( country music s*ite ) there are other kinds of music.
    Better use should of been made of existing properties instead of throwing money into new builds, there is a massive block of offices never used, and probably half as many empty as occupied shops.
    The town could be great but at the moment it still leaves a lot to be desired.
    The free parking is a must, if you had to pay in Tescos or the like then people wouldn't go there.

New shoe shop looking for staff and an improved donnelans ladies wear re-opened today.
    All positive!

We even have TDs who can fight their corner

Between 3 of us at home, we bought 26 gifts in town today, as well as rig outs for ourselves.
    Parked in new carpark, for free.
    Lunched in Rogue & Co.
    So impressed.
    A really enjoyable few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭hkjohn

A lovely, friendly place. Moved back here three years ago from Hong Kong and have never regretted doing so for a minute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Never heard anyone speaking Irish in Roscommon, outside of School, (probably most counties I guess), in fairness most of the locals can just about manage English. More likely to hear Portuguese, Chinese, Urdu, Hindi, Romanian, Polish and god knows what else, Roscommon town is a dump, plain and simple. the reason there is so many places to park and it is free is because no fecker wants to go near the place. Don't know why people defending the place, they have a big stadium for the GAA but they can't use it if it rains, how embarrassing is that?,
    Hospital is only good for minor injuries, The ambulance service cannot find your house. the town is full of cafes, chemists, bookies and several charity shops, that is the picture of a dead town, look at any dead town anywhere they are all the same.

Advertisement