Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon has it all!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Never heard anyone speaking Irish in Roscommon, outside of School, (probably most counties I guess), in fairness most of the locals can just about manage English. More likely to hear Portuguese, Chinese, Urdu, Hindi, Romanian, Polish and god knows what else, Roscommon town is a dump, plain and simple. the reason there is so many places to park and it is free is because no fecker wants to go near the place. Don't know why people defending the place, they have a big stadium for the GAA but they can't use it if it rains, how embarrassing is that?,
    Hospital is only good for minor injuries, The ambulance service cannot find your house. the town is full of cafes, chemists, bookies and several charity shops, that is the picture of a dead town, look at any dead town anywhere they are all the same.

Sorry to read such a negative post.

For its size and position Roscommon is not doing too badly

It is hard for any small town to counteract the draw of larger centres such as Galway, Athone etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Never heard anyone speaking Irish in Roscommon, outside of School, (probably most counties I guess), in fairness most of the locals can just about manage English. More likely to hear Portuguese, Chinese, Urdu, Hindi, Romanian, Polish and god knows what else, Roscommon town is a dump, plain and simple. the reason there is so many places to park and it is free is because no fecker wants to go near the place. Don't know why people defending the place, they have a big stadium for the GAA but they can't use it if it rains, how embarrassing is that?,
    Hospital is only good for minor injuries, The ambulance service cannot find your house. the town is full of cafes, chemists, bookies and several charity shops, that is the picture of a dead town, look at any dead town anywhere they are all the same.

Here, have some lemons to go with your bitterness.

I was going to reply to some of your points above, but why bother feeding a troll

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

nuac wrote: »
    Sorry to read such a negative post.

yeah, me too.
    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Here, have some lemons to go with your bitterness.

I was going to reply to some of your points above, but why bother feeding a troll

I'm not bitter about anything, just pointing out some facts. Fail to see how that makes me a troll.

yeah, me too.

I'm not bitter about anything, just pointing out some facts. Fail to see how that makes me a troll.

A lot of people go to Roscommon to shop or grub because parking is free
    Just ask anyone in Longford direction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    A lot of people go to Roscommon to shop or grub because parking is free
    Just ask anyone in Longford direction

Without a doubt, the free parking attracts people in from surrounding counties. Without that (free parking) I would say even more places would close.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Roscommon is a nice town with some decent shops, but more could be done in terms of attracting Business. I was in the Civic Centre earlier this year and it's a lovely building, especially with the old Steam Locomotive in the lobby. Now if money like that could be pumped back into the town, it would be great.

With respect to speaking Irish in the town, why not set up a social group for people of all levels to speak or learn to speak the language?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

3rd tidiest town in the country.
    Congratulations to the tidy towns committee for reaching the final.

Another excellent Christmas break in Roscommon.
    All my shopping bought between 3 winderful shops.
    Great nights out with lovely food in busy restaurants and drinks with friends in ambient pubs.

I know it doesn't compare to the rest of the year, but it still really is a great spot.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Yeah it's a grand auld spot alright. A bit of tidying up and some road resurfacing here and there, but other than that, I like Roscommon. Don't drink, but if I did, it wouldn't be to the nightclubs and the likes, given I'm 32 and all.

I haven't seen it, but I heard the nite club was recently renovated and is a decent spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    Yeah it's a grand auld spot alright. A bit of tidying up and some road resurfacing here and there, but other than that, I like Roscommon. Don't drink, but if I did, it wouldn't be to the nightclubs and the likes, given I'm 32 and all.

Majority of the roads around the town are scheduled to be resurfaced this year iirc. They haven't been done so far because of other works with sewerage. Was told when that was completed then roads would be done to avoid possible digging up of new surfaces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

My road got resurfaced recently tis grand job done lads.
    I just wish they would do something with the sun blind factory on the racecourse road.

There's probably a few spots and sites around Roscommon, just like Athlone, that could be tidied up and or knocked.

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    There's probably a few spots and sites around Roscommon, just like Athlone, that could be tidied up and or knocked.
    There is but then again every town in Ireland has that.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

very true in every place

that factory has a lot of potential for any expanding business but if the re was a little investment someone might go in maybe in an ida grant etc say a small company that can prove the numbers and need to expand to survive get a 3 year lease at a reduced rent and then move on.

jobs and economy for small investment but sure what would I know about business lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Did Sports Direct open a new store in Roscommon?

Did Sports Direct open a new store in Roscommon?

heatons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Is there a bookshop in Roscommon?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭morphman

Newsround on the square

Lots of second hand books around in the charity shops.
    Newsround will order anything they don't have in stock.
    The library is a great service too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

All it lacks is progressive thinking, have the ignominy of being the only town to vote no to same sex marriage.

• Advertisement

Newsround on the square

Great thanks. I'm moving later in the year. Delighted with the cinema and theatre being so close by. I haven't noticed Newsround yet. Is it the shop that's sort of across the road from Time Pieces?

L.Jenkins wrote:
    With respect to speaking Irish in the town, why not set up a social group for people of all levels to speak or learn to speak the language?

Great thanks. I'm moving later in the year. Delighted with the cinema and theatre being so close by. I haven't noticed Newsround yet. Is it the shop that's sort of across the road from Time Pieces?

That's ETL or eight till late. Newsround is beside Ulster bank

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    All it lacks is progressive thinking, have the ignominy of being the only town to vote no to same sex marriage.

A county with a low and ageing population.
    Roscommon South Leitrim had an eligible voting population of 62,031, of which only 18,645 voted against the referendum.
    734,300 voted no nationally.
    It is not a Roscommon thing.
    Get over it.

morphman wrote: »
    That's ETL or eight till late. Newsround is beside Ulster bank

Thanks I'll take a wander around soon

Great thanks. I'm moving later in the year. Delighted with the cinema and theatre being so close by.
    Best wishes for a successful move.
    There's lots of opportunities for involvement around the town.

Addle wrote: »
    Best wishes for a successful move.
    There's lots of opportunities for involvement around the town.

Thanks Addle. I'm really looking forward to it. After years of having to drive everywhere I'm looking forward to being within walking distance of everything. Any recommendations for a cosy pub for someone who wants to have a quiet drink after work with a book?

Thanks Addle. I'm really looking forward to it. After years of having to drive everywhere I'm looking forward to being within walking distance of everything. Any recommendations for a cosy pub for someone who wants to have a quiet drink after work with a book?

I think all the pubs will be very quiet after work to be honest.
    JJs is probably your best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Alpha_zero wrote: »

and we are mighty proud of it, **** off coming in here lecturing to us

• Advertisement

JJs is probably your best bet. It won't be busy in the week day evenings and is fairly big so be plenty of quiet corners to read in without anyone annoying you.

Advertisement