Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPA3102 with UPC

Options
  • 16-04-2014 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hello guys,
    Can someone please advise if the Linksys SPA3102 will work OK on the new UPC wifi modem. I was using WRP400 with the normal UPC Thompson modem, but now UPC have supplied me with new wifi modem all in one. The reason for the SPA3102, is that I need to hook up to my blueface account.

thanks,
    Sammy

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Is this the Horizon box?

Have you spoken to UPC about it?

I know certain applications are blocked on it, although I didn't know VoIP was blocked. Try using port 5061 or 5062 instead of 5060 and try again?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sammyano

Mr. G - I have not bought the SPA3102 yet, just wanted to know if it does work before buying. Am not on Horizon, just BB & Phone sub. Will check the name of the new Wifi modem when I get home

sammyano wrote: »
    Mr. G - I have not bought the SPA3102 yet, just wanted to know if it does work before buying. Am not on Horizon, just BB & Phone sub. Will check the name of the new Wifi modem when I get home

You could just put the WRP400 into Bridge mode and use it as a switch and VoIP ATA. Would save you having to buy a new ATA also.

The SPA3102's are in end of life now.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/spa3102-voice-gateway-router/eos-eol-notice-c51-731409.html

Mr. G - thanks, the reason for considering SPA3102 is that WRP400 does not support wirleess -n network and hence unable to to see the full power of my 120mb speed. I currently use the WRP400 which has phone ports, but the new UPC in all one modem supports wireless - n network and recommends the use of device with wireless -n for optimized speed

The UPC modem must be wireless N?

The SPA3102 would do the same (if not less) than the WRP400. You could disable DHCP, firewall/NAT and wireless, and connect a LAN (not WAN) port to another LAN port on the UPC modem

The SPA3102 is just an ATA, no wireless.

• Advertisement

Yes the UPC modem is an all in one Wifi router & modem. I know that the SPA3102 is wired, just wanted to use it for my blueface VOIP and then use the UPC modem for my BB, hope you get my point now? cheers

But the WRP400 is a router and ATA combined. What's the point in buying an ATA you already have one ?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/unified-communications/wrp400-wireless-g-broadband-router-2-phone-ports/index.html

There are many people who are with UPC and use Blueface, so yes it should work.

Mr. G, I get what you mean, previously I was using a standard modem from UPC right and then using the WRP400 as both ATA and router, but now that UPC has provided me with an all in one modem, I want to use the UPC one as my router since it supports wireless - n network and then an ATA device for my Blueface

You can use the WRP400 just as an ATA and use the UPC as the router :) Disable DHCP, NAT, Firewall etc and away you go. Give it a static IP, so if your UPC router is 192.168.1.1, keep it simple and put the WRP400 on 192.168.1.2, the DHCP server is on 192.168.1.1. You also get 3 extra ethernet ports to use too!

Alternatively, setup a static route from the UPC router worst case scenario.

Cheers Mr G, so what mode should the WRP400 be in, Bridge mode or what? will give this a try once I get home and will report back

• Advertisement

Mr G - tried your suggestion and get error msg while saving change "IP address and gateway is not same subnet mask"
    do you mind if ping you [private message] with exactly what am entering etc?

Yeah no problem. Anything 192.168.X.X isn't private anyway.

Mr. G - did you check the details?

Hi Sammy,

You can download the manual here.
    1. Connect your computer to one of the free LAN ports of the WRP400.
    2. Go to the Administration portal of the WRP400 using a web browser. If you don't know the IP Address, connect a phone to a phone port of the WRP400 and dial ****. When you hear "Configuration Menu", type 110#. You will hear a series of numbers.
    3. Disable Firewall: Security > Firewall > Disable, Save Changes
    4. Set DHCP server to 192.168.0.1 (UPC)
    5. Set Static IP as 192.168.0.2, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.0.1, DNS 192.168.0.1, 8.8.8.8
    6. Set up Blueface on Line 1 as before. Shout if you need help with this.

If you mess up anywhere don't panic. Connect a phone to any one of the two ports, dial ****, type 73738 (RESET) and then #. It will reboot and you will get cut off.

The above should work, let us know how you get on.

Mr. G - cheers - however not sure I followed what you meant by "Set DHCP server to 192.168.0.1 (UPC)" - thought I should have disabled the DHCP on the WRP400 and set a static IP address.

Mr. G - cheers - however not sure I followed what you meant by "Set DHCP server to 192.168.0.1 (UPC)" - thought I should have disabled the DHCP on the WRP400 and set a static IP address.

No problem.

Because DHCP is disabled, some routers allow you to specify the DHCP server (ie the UPC router) if DHCP is disabled on the WRP400. If you connect to the WRP400 and do not need to specify a Static IP, you don't need to do anything. The only reason I'm saying this that it gives you some extra Ethernet ports to use.

I wanted to add the screen shot of the setup page, but for some reason can't find the add attachment option - I have tried what you said but cannot connect to the WRP400, I have to reset the router back to default. Below is the settings I have [WRP400]

Internet Setup -[Static IP] selected from dropdown menu
    Internet IP Address:
    Subnet mask:
    Default Gateway:
    DNS 1:
    DNS 2:
    DNS 3:

Network Setup -
    ROuter IP - Local IP Address
    Subnet mask:

DHCP Server Setting -
    DHCP SErver: Enable/Disable option
    DNS Proxy

You wouldn't be able to access it from the UPC, you would have to do it directly from the LAN port of the WRP400.

You may wish to enable DHCP for this. Set up a static IP as above and change the IP range. It's not ideal but it should do. Again, you will need to connect directly to the WRP400 and not through the UPC router. Do you follow?

Mr. G wrote: »
    You wouldn't be able to access it from the UPC, you would have to do it directly from the LAN port of the WRP400.

You may wish to enable DHCP for this. Set up a static IP as above and change the IP range. It's not ideal but it should do. Again, you will need to connect directly to the WRP400 and not through the UPC router. Do you follow?

Mr. G, I changed the settings via WRP400 and not from UPC wifi modem [TC7200]
    Can you please use the setup info I provided in my previous comment to state what goes where. PS - remember the goal is to use WRP400 as ATA and TC7200 as the wifi router.

cheers man for you time

I'm not familiar with this router but the web gui should be self explanatory.

This is all on the WRP modem. You don't need to touch the UPC one at all.

1. Reset the WRP as above
    2. Disable firewall
    3. Connect an ethernet cable from the LAN side of the UPC to the WAN port of the WRP
    4. Connect to the WRP router and configure Blueface

That should work. I hope I've answered your question right.

• Advertisement

Cheers man, pls can comment on my #18 post detailing how the arp setup GUI

Cheers man, pls can comment on my #18 post detailing how the arp setup GUI

I don't have this device so I can't post screen shots or tell you what tabs to click, though it should he self explanatory where to go.

Reset the WRP.

On the WRP:
    Connection Type: Static IP
    Static IP: 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    DNS 1: 192.168.0.1
    DNS 2: 8.8.4.4

Disable Firewall (Already enabled on UPC router).

Then configure Blueface. For the most part that should work. You will need to connect your computer to a LAN port on the WRP in order to access the web interface.

Note: You may have DHCP clashes if you connect devices to the WRP. To stop this from happening, change the DHCP IP range to something outside of the UPC DHCP range, and only needs to have about 4 because there are only 4 ports. If you are not connecting anything to the WRP, ignore this comment.

Mr.G cheers, I tried something different last night by allowing all my dhcp to go through wrp400 and disabling wireless on the upc side and add a static IP on wrp400 of which is outside the upc dhcp pool. So far so good. Just wanted to avoid changing addresses on my devices. I will be getting the asus dark knight / a gigabit IP phone and change upc to be only modem mode.

Advertisement