Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why should I 'invest' in a PS4 now?

Options
  • 16-04-2014 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

So I am on the fence on getting a PS4, I do want one, and the re-release of TLoU is kinda tempting me, even though I have played through that game about 8 times already.

But what else is coming to the PS4 this year beside's Indie games that I can get on my PS3 and Wii U? Will there be a slimmer model announced at E3 this year or is it way too soon for that?

€400 is a lot of money to drop, but it will be used for the next 6 or so years I guess.

I had a go of the one in Gamestop and the controller is very nice but the rubber was ripped off the sticks, the same with the one in HMV and Smyths, is that just kids or does the rubber on the sticks come off?

PS: I have a Vita...:D

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

whiterebel wrote: »

Yeah its the left stick that seems to wear off. Thats not great!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yeah its the left stick that seems to wear off. Thats not great!

If it happens they will replace it under warranty anyway :)

Ok thats good to know.

But can you guys advice me on what is coming over the next 12 months that can separate the PS4 from all other consoles at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Ok thats good to know.

But can you guys advice me on what is coming over the next 12 months that can separate the PS4 from all other consoles at the moment?

There is not enough to justify a purchase IMO. I'd wait until the end of the year at the very earliest to buy the console

Nobody is going to change your mind, you either want one or you dont, take a look a this list http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/03/26/ps4-games-in-2014-the-ultimate-list/

• Advertisement

That is some list!!!! Lots coming this year all going well. I will have a look into those games, but there is a lot of cross over with ps3 and vita games on the list.

Thanks for that link though!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If you get one make sure you setup the Vita for remote play with it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

HMV sale this Saturday I think it is in Grafton street branch. Reopening of sorts.

As far as I know its €100 off either the xbox1 or ps4 so that makes a ps4 €300 which imo is cheapidy cheap cheap if you can get your hands on one. I assume they'll be snapped up pretty quickly.

That said personally I still think theres no point. You'd have a lovely piece of hardware with nothing to play on it unless your a COD / Fifa fan.

I was thinking of one this xmas but as it stands right now Sony or Microsoft would both need to really show a strong line up at E3 to interest me in anyway shape or form. I know its only launch time but theres nothing on either format that interest me enough to move on from my 360 and wii U just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I disagree with most comments. I get great use out of mine. And if you plan on getting one anyway in the future get it now and playstation plus so you can get you collection of free games going. I'm playing a lot of dead nation and resogun lately over cod and battlefield 4 etc. I'm really starting to love indie games as they are bringing games back to there roots where they should be. I think games have generally become too easy these days with a few exception. Anyway back on topic just get one you won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd say there's no point having one now if you have a PS3. Get PS+ on that if you don't have it already, can get the free PS4 games then from the Sony site, and wait until the end of the year when there's a larger game catalogue available and hopefully one or two games that can only be got on PS4 that are worth getting one for.

Even if you didn't want to wait that long, at least wait until E3 in June, so you can see what Sony have planned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭s8n

Xbox FTW

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

s8n wrote: »
    Xbox FTW

If you're going to troll, at least use the xbox one or 360, not a 13 year old console.

Also, don't troll again, it will lead to a lengthy ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

jonny24ie wrote: »
    If it happens they will replace it under warranty anyway :)
    How would I avail of this btw??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

astonaidan wrote: »
    How would I avail of this btw??

EU consumer rights on electronic goods being fit for purpose. That's all you have to quote when returning it if you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭daviddunne1992

I was wondering the very same as the OP, my issue is the serious lack of games at the moment.
    I really enjoy playing Fifa 14 but apart from that and maybe Assassins Creed 4 I'm not sure I can justify spending €400 on it as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

It's not really an investment, so you shouldn't. You've plenty to keep you going for a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭skankles

Thinking about getting PS4 now mostly 'cause of Battlefield Hardline...But rumours abound of a newer PS4 (slimmer) version later in 2015. Should I hold off?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

skankles wrote: »
    Thinking about getting PS4 now mostly 'cause of Battlefield Hardline...But rumours abound of a newer PS4 (slimmer) version later in 2015. Should I hold off?

The PS4 is slim as is and hasn't really any problems with it, no need to wait other than a good bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

I waited until a good deal came around. I knew I would eventually have one but lack of games I wanted to play put me off it. Then that Argos €350 deal happened and I struck. So far though it hasn't got much use, but because the deal I got it doesn't bother me.

If there is nothing you want to play at the moment wait, you'll be kicking yourself later if it's just gathered dust and then a great bundle comes around just as games you want to play start coming out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I have one since launch and I have to say looking back now I'm a bit underwhelmed, apart from the last of us no games have blown me away, im a fifa lover and gta but apart from them games my ps4 is used for youtube mostly.
    Its not that is bad its just the games have not been wow enough for the amount of power its ment to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I've been using mine a lot. No regrets whatsoever.

lertsnim wrote: »
    I've been using mine a lot. No regrets whatsoever.

What games would you play alot of?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,047 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I was going to go for the argos deal, but since I have a PS3, PC and Wii U, I decided there weren't enough games I wanted to play to justify the purchase. Think the only game I wanted to play was Infamous Second Son

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

BloodBourne is reason enough to buy a PS4...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭lertsnim

jayo26 wrote: »

Driveclub, Wolfenstein, Resogun, Trials Fusion have had a lot of time put into them. I also spend a bit of time on PS+ games such as Valiant Hearts and Olli Olli 2

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

jayo26 wrote: »

I got one at Xmas. So far I've been playing:

The Last of Us.
    Far Cry 4.
    Shadow of Mordor.
    GTA V at the minute.

Also have Thief and Tomb Raider Definitive Edition tucked away that I picked up in a Smyths sale. Will start them when I finish GTA V.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Bloodbourne and Uncharted 4 would definitely make me consider it. Was on the fence about which console to get, as i want to get one for the next Rock Band, but the Master Chief collection is the only thing on the XOne that i can't get on the pc, so i'm definitely leaning more towards the PS4 now.

Lemlin wrote: »
    I got one at Xmas. So far I've been playing:

The Last of Us.
    Far Cry 4.
    Shadow of Mordor.
    GTA V at the minute.

Also have Thief and Tomb Raider Definitive Edition tucked away that I picked up in a Smyths sale. Will start them when I finish GTA V.

I still have to try far cry four, the last of us is my favourite so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I got completely burned out on Far Cry 4. Felt like it took way too long to open up the second half of the map. Lost interest. I think I far prefer corridor shooters like Wolfenstein/Metro than open world games.

• Advertisement

mickstupp wrote: »
    I got completely burned out on Far Cry 4. Felt like it took way too long to open up the second half of the map. Lost interest. I think I far prefer corridor shooters like Wolfenstein/Metro than open world games.

My problem is I have a limited amount of games that interest me I like sports games and simulation games I have been big into call of duty in the past but I am burnt out on that from playing same thing each year. I don't have any interest in playing horror games I like to relax and not be jumping from the couch haha.

Advertisement