Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday in Cork

Options
  • 16-04-2014 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Myself and the wife and 2 kids(2 1/2 and 10 months at time of holiday) are playing on taking a 3 day midweek break in the 1st or 2nd week in September. We are looking at 2 possibilities.
    1. Self-catering in Photo wild life resort.
    2. Self-catering in trabolgan.

Both are within driving distance of each other for a days outing.
    Has anyone got any experience with either or both places.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Moved from Parenting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Hi,

Myself and the wife and 2 kids(2 1/2 and 10 months at time of holiday) are playing on taking a 3 day midweek break in the 1st or 2nd week in September. We are looking at 2 possibilities.
    1. Self-catering in Photo wild life resort.
    2. Self-catering in trabolgan.

Both are within driving distance of each other for a days outing.
    Has anyone got any experience with either or both places.

Thanks

Okay lets get the pedantic part out of the way first. It's Fota wildlife park :)
    To be honest I didn't think there was any self catering there, unless it's part of the hotel.
    Anyway, Trabolgan is grand but I don't think there would be much there for your kids as they are pretty young. In Fota there are opportunities for nice walks in the gardes as wwllas through the park itself. It might also be a better base for going to towns in the area like Cobh and Midleton and you could get the train to Cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Id say go to trabolgan. We went a few years ago when our lad was almost 3 and he loved it. Plenty to do during the day for him but all he wanted was the pool and the slide. The houses were ok, nothing special but clean and comfy. They have been done up since tho. Fota is close enough too to go for the day and well worth a trip.
    A tip if you go to trabolgan, bring a few blankets for the windows, the curtains were almost see thru. We had a large house so took duvets off spare beds to keep the light out in the morningz. The tvs in the houses didnt have too much on them so we brought a dvd player to use as the child was wrecked early from all the running round and was falling asleep about 8 each night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

What about the Quality Hotel in Youghal? It has suites, hoyses and apartments, is right on the beach, playground, pool - very family friendly. Or if you have a few bob more, Castlemartyr Resort - hotel rooms are gorgeous and they also have houses. Both are close to Fota Wildlife Park and Trabolgan. Personally, I wouldn't stay in Trabolgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Scotborn76

Good suggestions. The only think I would say about Trabolgan is that depending where you go, somethings are slightly a bit more dearer but then I suppose that could be said about anywhere so it might not be a valid point at all.
    I like Trabolgan. I'm not from Cork but moved here (my name gives that away I guess) but it was one of the first places I went to and like it so I have to give it a plug.
    I like Ireland in general as you all make me feel home from home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Buying things in trabolgan is a little more expensive than elsewhere but not by as much as youd expect. We had breakfast in the house in the morning. We made rolls for our lunch and had a picnic by the golf course. We ate in the restaurant each night for dinner. The food was ok, not brilliant fine dining but you wouldnt really expect that in a family holiday resort.
    Theres a good spar shop in whitegate thats about a 2min drive from trabolgan. We bought our stuff there and got the rolls fresh in the resort each day.
    The chipper food in there was a complete rip off tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sweetsugar

Trabolgan would be fine. Went there when my kids were young and we did enjoyed staying there. Tip for you, if you are going there, try to get a bunaglow type otherwise if staying in the house and you get the downstair, you will end up with a family staying upstair, there will be very noisy as the floor could be timbered floor. That happened to us and it was impossible to go to sleep every night with the noise. We could hear them walking, talking etc. So tell them you don't want anyone upstair as you have 2 young children or get a bunaglow type. And cover the windows with blankets too.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

What about the Quality Hotel in Youghal? It has suites, hoyses and apartments, is right on the beach, playground, pool - very family friendly. Or if you have a few bob more, Castlemartyr Resort - hotel rooms are gorgeous and they also have houses. Both are close to Fota Wildlife Park and Trabolgan. Personally, I wouldn't stay in Trabolgan.

The apartments in the Quality hotel are nice (have never stayed in the houses but they look good). You are right by the beach, have access to the pool, hotel babysitter etc but be aware, you are a good 5-10 min drive outside Youghal (on the Cork side)

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

oakshade wrote: »
    The apartments in the Quality hotel are nice (have never stayed in the houses but they look good). You are right by the beach, have access to the pool, hotel babysitter etc but be aware, you are a good 5-10 min drive outside Youghal (on the Cork side)

I'd stay in Youghal and it's still very easy to go to Fota on a day trip or for an afternoon.

Advertisement