Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shorts for adventure race

Options
  • 16-04-2014 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Hi

Had a root through the forum and cant seem to find anything about shorts for adventure races. I am hoping to do Achill Roar and the Killarney adventure race this year but will be kayaking both and I am just wondering can anyone recommend decent shorts for the run/cycle.

I had a look at chain reaction and a few other sites but I haven't a clue what I should be looking out for in shorts.

Any tips or advice would be greatly welcome please.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Normal Tri shorts would do the job I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Either tri shorts with a bit of padding for the bike sections or something like the Ronhill cargo shorts with tons of storage.

http://www.ronhill.com/trail-cargo-twin-short-1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

+1 on tri shorts..less padding than bike shorts but still something, preferably with small pockets or else i suppose wear a bike jersey with pocket..

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

Thanks for the reply's.

Think I will get a pair of tri shorts and see how they go.

Anything to lookout for when buying them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Thanks for the reply's.

That they are not white or yellow or really any light colour

redshorts.jpg

Now imagine them wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭micar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

tunney wrote: »
    That they are not white or yellow or really any light colour

redshorts.jpg

Now imagine them wet.

Hot! anymore pics?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Pockets on the sides of the legs can be useful. Good fit and grip in the leg so they don't ride up. Check how much padding they have. Some have a light pad, some a chamois, some just a thicker layer of material.

Other than that, what tunney said. Some things are best left to the imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭GLC

I have the 2xu ld tri shorts and love them, comfortable on the bike and don't even notice the pad when running, have swam in them too, well worth the money!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BeBetter

Thanks for the reply's.

I have a pair of 2XU tri shorts that have small pockets on the thigh and I use the pockets to stuff in jellies (minus the wrapper) and I just graze on them as I go and that's all the solid nutrition I need for the race. It cuts out messing about with wrappers and fumbling in rear pockets etc. I find them really really handy. You could have a job finding a pair through as I think 2XU have discontinued them and the newer versions have the pockets on the hips.

Oh and btw the tri shorts are great cos the thinner pad doesn't make you feel like you're running in a nappy when your a$$ inevitably gets wet in the kayak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 glasshopper

I wear a tri suit. bit more expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Did a long AR the weekend in pair of O Neills gaa shorts not a bother. I had trained in them the past month

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Did a long AR the weekend in pair of O Neills gaa shorts not a bother. I had trained in them the past month

You should have a good race, being fit from gaa and all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

I have a couple of pairs of I Rule shorts which work great for any length of adv race.
    They are probably more durable than lycra tri shorts plus have small pockets that are useful for snacks and empty wrappers.

They are NZ made, merino wool material in part and good padding for bike, run and paddling disciplines.

No sure of stockists but mr google can probably help there :)

Advertisement