Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this tree dead/dying???

• 16-04-2014 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Recently purchased a few small trees for the front of the house (approx 6-8 weeks ago).

I've planted them on the day of purchase but for a reason unknown to me one of them has changed slowly into a yellowing colour.

As you can see from the second picture the tree in the background is in good health.

Can this tree be saved?

Any instructions/directions much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Symptom of yellowing leaves is if it's been left dry out or without being watered for an extended period of time. Now that it's been dry for an extended period (a week) keep an eye on it. I would put a small tray under it and make sure the soil it damp to the touch.

Whether it can recover or not I will leave to someone more experienced...

good luck with it... might need a feed too....

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

tampopo wrote: »
    Symptom of yellowing leaves is if it's been left dry out or without being watered for an extended period of time. Now that it's been dry for an extended period (a week) keep an eye on it. I would put a small tray under it and make sure the soil it damp to the touch.

Whether it can recover or not I will leave to someone more experienced...

good luck with it... might need a feed too....

I've fed it and it has been watered as much as the tree in the other pot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Really? Hmm, unless the damage was done in the garden centre. Give it time or await further advice!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

It looks like it has been recently pruned and then exposed to frost, damaging the newly exposed more tender growth. This type of effect is noticeable when a hedge is cut too early or too late in the year.

It also looks like road salt damage and/or wind damage :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭secman

Dying more so than dead........... Looks beyond saving , particularily if it's been getting the exact same treatment as the other one...........strange. Worth sending the photo's via email to the garden centre , they can hardly accuse you of looking after one and totally neglecting the other one !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

There are lots of reasons for yellowing leaves, while shortage of water is one cause, excess water is another, check the drainage in your pot.
    Also, is it more exposed than it's brother? If the plant was in a protected, sheltered area in the garden centre and is suddenly exposed to cold or salt laden winds, shock can set in.
    Did you buy them in those pots or did you transplant them, is it possible you damaged the roots? Finally I would check the pots for vine weevil, not usually associated with your plants but tend to eat anything

Advertisement