Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV and internet in rental houses

Options
  • 16-04-2014 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Hi,

We are about to rent out our house and were wondering what is the norm for internet and TV (both UPC) for tenants. Do we simply transfer the accounts into the new tenants name or keep things in our name and add the cost to the rent?

Many thanks,
    D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Make the tenants put everything in their name that way they're not paying for something they might not want down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Let them get their own phone/internet/TV service. That way you have no liability if they don't pay their bills.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

In their names and do not supply a TV in the house either as you are then liable for the TV licence .

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

Moonbeam wrote: »
    In their names and do not supply a TV in the house either as you are then liable for the TV licence .

It is the occupant that pays for the licence irrespective of who owns the TV. The problem with leaving a TV is that you then have a repairing / replacement liability for it. TV's do stop working and are expensive. Besides it seems a lot of tenants come equipped with their own TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

What if pay tv access is provided but no TV is provided? Who has liability for tv license in this scenario?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

What if pay tv access is provided but no TV is provided? Who has liability for tv license in this scenario?

Still the tenant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is always the occupier that is liable for TV licence.

For bills put them in the tenants name or else you remain ultimately liable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Don't supply internet and tv. Its too much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

I supply a 32" LED TV with saorview and free satellite channels. I also provide "free" UPC broadband and refuse collection to my tenants (bills in my name) at a cost of €700 p/a to me. For this I charge a premium rent and have not had a vacancy for many years.

byronbay2 wrote: »
    I also provide "free" UPC broadband and refuse collection to my tenants (bills in my name) at a cost of €700 p/a to me. For this I charge a premium rent and have not had a vacancy for many years.

Was looking at doing something like this - but without the tv (thats assuming my bid on a particular property is accepted). Wanted to supply pay tv and internet but not the TV - so that I can avoid liability for tv license. So - just for clarity - there's definitely no liability for the landlord in such circumstance?

• Advertisement

Unless the property is in a hard to rent location, why would you do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'd be concerned about providing internet. Could get messy if the tenant gets up to no good with it. I would definitely include specific clauses in the lease that indemnified me for any misbehaviour. I can see that in some markets at the higher end a property with internet etc. could add extra appeal.

beauf wrote: »
    Property would be in a extremely difficult to rent location - but would also be 6 units (apartments) - all together. Idea would be to split pay tv and internet between them - so there's synergy there - and gives competitive advantage over other landlords rentals.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭elysium321

Agree. Nothing may happen but I would see it as a risk. If the broadband is in your name and the tenant will use it for illegal downloads or other illegal activities, you could get in trouble.

As they say location, location location. I'm not sure free TV/Net is going to fix that. No matter how cheap they are to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

murphaph wrote: »
    I'd be concerned about providing internet. Could get messy if the tenant gets up to no good with it. I would definitely include specific clauses in the lease that indemnified me for any misbehaviour. I can see that in some markets at the higher end a property with internet etc. could add extra appeal.

This is a pretty big liability on behalf of the account holder alright.
    I would definitely not provide internet in my own name to the tenants no matter what the circumstances. The amount of hassle this can lead to wouldnt warrant it.

Give them some euros towards it or a reduction in rent or whatever but dont have it in your own name..

As they say location, location location. I'm not sure free TV/Net is going to fix that. No matter how cheap they are to buy.
    It's all relative but 140 euro worth of extras would have to put it well out ahead of competitors - all other things being equal. "byronbay2" earlier in this thread has given a real world example of the benefit of offering those extras.

Wouldn't be bothered about certain types of 'illegal' use - as I simply wouldn't be there. In the case of copyright theft/illegal downloading - would have to look into that - as clearly the bill payer (me) would have to take responsibility for that. Worthy of further investigation. I guess something could be stipulated in the lease but unsure if that would hold water legally...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Moonbeam wrote: »
    incorrect, its the occupants responsibility to have a licence. the tenants may ask the landlord to remove the telly.

Advertisement