Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did Damien Duff fulfill his potential?

• 16-04-2014 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/16/fulham-damien-duff-abroad-rat-race

He seems to want to take his £14m and escape the 'rat race', not that I'm jealous of the bollix ! :mad:

What's your verdict on his career?, I think both in his and Robbie Keane's cases they could have hit higher heights with a bit more luck and maybe choosing different transfer options.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

He's had a pretty good career. Think he made a mistake with the Newcastle move though after he left Chelsea.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

He's planning to come to LOI at age 36/37? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I cant fault the Duffy whenever he put on a Green Jersey.

He was normally above average every single time and had some outstanding games.

His performances in 2002 WC were the best I have seen of any Irish play in Major Tournament.

He maybe could of stayed at a Chelsea or similar for longer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

I remember being at the Liverpool v Blackburn game where he ran rings around everyone and looked on a different level. Everyone expected him to sign for Liverpool, but he ended up going to Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He played at the highest level and has won a few trophies he wont be disappointed.
    However in terms of a career elsewhere, doesn't in spend more time on the treatment table than pitch?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

dfx- wrote: »
    He's planning to come to LOI at age 36/37? :eek:

If he doesn't head for LOI after this season I can't see him ever going to play there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

He's had a pretty good career. Think he made a mistake with the Newcastle move though after he left Chelsea.

TBF he was in serious decline at Chelsea before he joined NUFC. Joined them to rebuild his career but the stagnation continued.

Given his amazing form at Blackburn and early on at Chelsea I would struggle to say he fulfilled his potential considering what has followed. However, he did look to be a world class player for a couple of seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

He was brilliant for us for 2 seasons, after Robbens signing i thought we had 2 wingers capable of taking on and beating anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,801 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Well he made a darn site more money in a couple of decades than 99% of the population of the planet - so he did pretty well from that point of view.
    2 PL medeal, 2 league cups and a few bits more to go with it, which again is probably more silverware than 95% of professional footballers.......

Ultimately he could have done a lot more/better had he not had some serious injury issues at key times in his career in my opinion. Theres not much he could have done about that.

I'd be delighted to be in his shoes tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

His performance against Spain in Saipan was amazing and will always stand out to me.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

was always overrated here because he was Irish imo. He couldnt stay at chelsea at the time, Robben and Cole were starting instead. I always felt he was very predictable as a winger, take it wide, touch in, cross. like Robben now, you know what hes going to do, but can you stop him? in Duffs case, yes, quite easily.

he was a good player and great servant and Ive cheered for him his whole career, but objectively speaking, he needed more strings to his bow. hard work and going wide every time isnt going to cut it at the highest level and you can see that when he left chelsea (almost 10 years ago! :o ) he meandered at average enough top flight clubs. I wish he had fulfilled on his promise but it wasn't to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Made a great start to life at Chelsea under Ranieri. He was magic on the wing and one of the most exciting Irish players i've seen at that level. Proper out and out winger used to love watching him play. Unfortunately he got stifled under Mourinho and his negative style shackled Duff who seemed to be afraid to lose the ball anymore, instead made the 5 yard "safe" pass too much. Got caught up in a contest for his place with Joe Cole as Mourinho only needed one out and out attacker - who was then Robben.

Not a great move to Newcastle, but he made the most of it as such.

Always gave 100% for Ireland and that cannot be knocked. Big game player who never looked out of place. All the best to him wherever he moves to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Didn't he make a pretty penny from investments over the years also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

GavRedKing wrote: »
    He was brilliant for us for 2 seasons, after Robbens signing i thought we had 2 wingers capable of taking on and beating anyone.

How would you view his time overall at Chelsea. Were you disappointed when he left?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

BMMachine wrote: »
    was always overrated here because he was Irish imo. He couldnt stay at chelsea at the time, Robben and Cole were starting instead. I always felt he was very predictable as a winger, take it wide, touch in, cross. like Robben now, you know what hes going to do, but can you stop him? in Duffs case, yes, quite easily.

he was a good player and great servant and Ive cheered for him his whole career, but objectively speaking, he needed more strings to his bow. hard work and going wide every time isnt going to cut it at the highest level and you can see that when he left chelsea (almost 10 years ago! :o ) he meandered at average enough top flight clubs. I wish he had fulfilled on his promise but it wasn't to be.

Downing/Jarvis/Valencia/Young/Nani/McGeady are the same type of winger as Duff. You know? A winger? Back in them days that type of player was more common,even Robben used to cross it more but he's adapted his game now. Chelsea had Drogba and he used to score quite a few from these "Crosses". Man United used to have a guy ... that could cross the ball ... they scored from it at times too, won a couple of leagues.

... Take it wide, touch in, cross ... seems so easy its almost like anyone could do it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

as an earlier poster mentioned under Ranieri at Chelsea he blossomed but with the arrival of Mourinho and his narrow defence minded style, Duff struggled to a certain extent, time in newcastle was ok - suffered injury after injury and with Fulham he's suffered with injuries. Overall he's probably happy, could maybe have won a few more medals but he's got his health and wealth...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

How would you view his time overall at Chelsea. Were you disappointed when he left?

I thought he was good for us, he was always a good option to have in the 4-3-3, he was shifted mainly to the right wing to cut in, pretty much what Robbens doing now.

Not really disappointed because at the time it was suggested he wanted out because he didnt want to fight for his place with Cole, Robben.

He averaged 27 leageue games for us a season in his 3 years and only managed 14 goals in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

I don't think he did fulfill his potential, though not really through any fault of his own. He was born in the wrong era to be an Ireland player. Unlike Robbie Keane or Dunne for example imho Duff could have easily started under Charlton and achieved much more glory as an international player.

At club level he spent three full seasons not even playing in the premier league. Whether through loyalty or just bad business, I think it's unfortunate. I'd have to guess that he's one of the best players to have spent that amount of time of his best years playing in England's 2nd tier, which seems like a waste to me.

To balance that though Duff did get to at least spend some time playing at a very high level and win two Premier League medals. I just think he could have probably done even more things been different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

dd972 wrote: »
    What's your verdict on his career?, I think both in his and Robbie Keane's cases they could have hit higher heights with a bit more luck and maybe choosing different transfer options.
    I think given their respective ability both players over achieved and earned a lot more than you would expect a player of that ability to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

He was going to United until the Ronaldo deal happened.

He never achieved what his talent deserved, even for Ireland. He should have scored more goals in the green jersey which is a shame. He always seemed to lack he energy to be a really top winger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I'd put him in the top 5 Irish players I've seen in my relatively short life time. He was truly world class from the period of probably his last season and a half at Blackburn right through his first 2 seasons at Chelsea. Such a great dribbler and often the only way to stop him seemed to be to foul him.

He was decent at Newcastle and Fulham between the injuries which were regular enough. Always played well for Ireland too, was a great attacking outlet for us through his dribbling ability.

Maybe had he moved to Liverpool that time instead of Chelsea he'd probably have stayed there a lot longer and thus would have stayed at a higher level longer but then again he'd have no league medals had he done that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I LOL'd when he referred to his lifestyle, i.e. multi-millionaire footballer, as a rat race.

Great player though, comfortably one of the best in the Premier League for a few years when at Chelsea.
    He'd probably also be in an all-time Ireland XI.

I guess given his quick explosive style, he was never going to be a top player into his 30s. Though I suppose Newcastle wasn't a good move for anybody.

He doesn't think much of the LoI if he thinks he can do a few years in US or Oz before lowering himself to that level!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

I'm the same age as Duff and I remember a local guy I played against who was involved in Irish under age teams saying he was just on a different level to anyone else in the squad. When Robbie Keane made his breakthrough in Wolves & Coventry this guy's opinion was the Duff would be twice the player (he didn't make a senior impact until later than Robbie).

Even at the end you could tell he was operating on a much higher level than any of his Irish team mates. Like he always knew how to beat his man even if his body din't allow him to any more. He hardly ever lost the ball as well.

Thoroughly disagree with him being found out at Chelsea. I think Mourinho managed to ruin him as an attacking force, he was essentially a wing back. Poor club choice in Newcastle and injuries took their toll over the remaining years.

I think the biggest regret he could have would be the amount of time he spent at Blackburn, a couple of seasons too long, and choosing Newcastle after Chelsea.

Watch the Youtube highlights of the performance against Spain to see him in his untarnished form. The "get-it-up get-it-up get-it-up to Duff..." chant happened for a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

He shouldn't have went to Newcastle, a club that offers big wages but never comes near winning anything. Did he have other options at that time but went there for better money?

He's had a good career but there is the feeling that he could have done more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

His performances in 2002 WC were the best I have seen of any Irish play in Major Tournament.

Paul McGrath says hi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

kevpants wrote: »
    The "get-it-up get-it-up get-it-up to Duff..." chant happened for a reason.

I wouldn't read too much into the chant, sure this one was on the go around that time as well :pac:
    We all dream of a team of Garry Breen's, a team of Garry Breen's, a team of Garry Breen's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Scored a nice goal vs Barcelona in the CL for Chelsea, great professional good luck to him

Downing/Jarvis/Valencia/Young/Nani/McGeady are the same type of winger as Duff. You know? A winger? Back in them days that type of player was more common,even Robben used to cross it more but he's adapted his game now. Chelsea had Drogba and he used to score quite a few from these "Crosses". Man United used to have a guy ... that could cross the ball ... they scored from it at times too, won a couple of leagues.

... Take it wide, touch in, cross ... seems so easy its almost like anyone could do it :rolleyes:

yup you are right. wasn't one of things Moyes has been criticised for recently being that his team crossed too much and was easy to snuff out? i forget which game but it was something like 40 crosses with absolutely no sniff of a goal.

of course Im not saying anyone could do it, don't be so pedantic. What I am saying is that players, great players, are able to do more. They are able to adapt (Ryan Giggs... a winger) and they are able to keep up with the opposition. Never once was I worried about a team I follow going up against Duff, not since the early 2000's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

People always seem to be lured to Newcastle and end up suffering for it, I understand the fascination, cause of the stadium and fans
    I think Duff could have become slightly better but he still was a world class player for 3/4 seasons.

• Advertisement

Good player but not a great player to quote a certain journo

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

He doesn't think much of the LoI if he thinks he can do a few years in US or Oz before lowering himself to that level!

From a LOI fan, he's dead right. A couple of years in Oz or the States would be a huge payday. He'd then come back to the LOI and play as a deep lying playmaker and comfortably be the best player in the league.

He'll only be 37, sure Joey Ndo is still doing it and he's 104.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    I remember being at the Liverpool v Blackburn game where he ran rings around everyone and looked on a different level. Everyone expected him to sign for Liverpool, but he ended up going to Chelsea.

And it was the correct move for him. Had he gone to Liverpool he never would have got a league winners medal. I was surprised when he left Chelsea for Newcastle. It was a very bad move for him but his move to Fulham was a good one for him and Fulham.

Never met Duff but he comes across as a very likable chap. I know a good few London based Chelsea fans and they all think the world of him. He still gets a standing ovation when he goes back to play there, which is unusual in this day and age.

COYW wrote: »
    And it was the correct move for him. Had he gone to Liverpool he never would have got a league winners medal. .

Is one league winners medal followed by a career of mid table mediocrity actually better than challenging at the top end and playing Champions League (would have won it if he'd moved to Liverpool)??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

COYW wrote: »
    And it was the correct move for him. Had he gone to Liverpool he never would have got a league winners medal. I was surprised when he left Chelsea for Newcastle. It was a very bad move for him but his move to Fulham was a good one for him and Fulham.

In an alternative world where he went to Liverpool you could say that had he gone to Chelsea he never would have got a Champions League winners medal. As already stated in the thread, he did well under Ranieri but wasn't suited to Mourinho's style, especially with Robben also in the squad.

Could have gone on to better things with different transfers and better luck with injuries, but by all means he has had a good career.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

srfc19 wrote: »
    He'd then come back to the LOI and play as a deep lying playmaker and comfortably be the best player in the league.

Like Keith Gillespie did? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think he fulfilled his potential alright. Unfortunately his peak performance time was a short one, before he started moving down the other side. Shame he had so many injury problems - would have loved to have seen the peak version for an extra few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

"BMMachine wrote: »
    I always felt he was very predictable as a winger, take it wide, touch in, cross

Disgraceful to see wingers doing that.

Like Keith Gillespie did? :P

Gillespie was 10 odd years out of the PL by the time he came to LOI and it was about 15 years since he was actually any good!

Duff will be playing because he wants to. Gillespie was playing because he needed the money (would probably have been better working in a bar or something though!!!) :D

anncoates wrote: »
    Disgraceful to see wingers doing that.

dont think. just pick a part of the post and go with it. why bother your brain with more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think injuries took a toll on him. I remember being gobsmacked at the price Chelsea let him go to Newcastle. Wasn't it something like £5m? I get the feeling Chelsea knew the player they were selling wasn't the player they had signed.

I think he did adapt his game tremendously well after his pace went and he showed that he was actually a very accomplished, intelligent, technical footballer when most of his career had been characterized by pace and tricks. I thought he did a good job at Fulham for the most part and as has been mentioned he was an outstanding servant for Ireland.

He would be a good candidate for a best ever Ireland XI and has Premier League and cup victories on his CV, as well as over a hundred caps and two major tournament appearances. I would say he fulfilled his potential and has a career he can be proud of. Best of luck to him wherever he ends up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

His time at Newcastle left a very bitter taste in my mouth.

He was not a good signing at all, his attitude was often disgraceful and in particular during the relegation season in 2009.

His time with us was a total failure. He's despised by Newcastle fans for a very good reason.

Having said that he did well at Blackburn, Chelsea and Fulham and had a lot of good days in a green shirt.

Did he have a good career? Yes. Did he reach the heights he could have reached? I'd say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

From a LOI fan, he's dead right. A couple of years in Oz or the States would be a huge payday. He'd then come back to the LOI and play as a deep lying playmaker and comfortably be the best player in the league.

He'll only be 37, sure Joey Ndo is still doing it and he's 104.
    You're just being silly now. Joey has been around the block a lot but he is, at most, 98.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Could have been one hell of a player but far too lazy by all accounts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Moneymaker wrote: »
    His time at Newcastle left a very bitter taste in my mouth.

He was not a good signing at all, his attitude was often disgraceful and in particular during the relegation season in 2009.

His time with us was a total failure. He's despised by Newcastle fans for a very good reason.

Having said that he did well at Blackburn, Chelsea and Fulham and had a lot of good days in a green shirt.

Did he have a good career? Yes. Did he reach the heights he could have reached? I'd say no.

Why do you think he put in such a poor effort at Newcastle?

He seemed to kinda resurrect himself at Fulham again for a few years after that so he definitely had some gas left in the tank at Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Is one league winners medal followed by a career of mid table mediocrity actually better than challenging at the top end and playing Champions League (would have won it if he'd moved to Liverpool)??

Ask Stevie G that question! Chelsea were going places at the time...Liverpool were still in 'this is our season' mode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I cant fault the Duffy whenever he put on a Green Jersey.

He was normally above average every single time and had some outstanding games.

He maybe could of stayed at a Chelsea or similar for longer though.

agree with most , he was excellent in 2002 , but for me, not a patch on Paul McGrath at '90 & '94

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm a Blackburn fan for those that don't know it.

He started out with us as a promising young player and blossomed into a world class winger, albeit a bit injury prone, and got sold for big money to a big club where he won two Premier League titles. He played for his country, and almost always played very well, 100 times.

I think its fair to say that he achieved his potential.

Maybe the move to Newcastle didn't work out so well but he already had two league cup wins along with his Premier league medals at that stage and to be fair Newcastle looked like a team on the up at that time. Its not his fault what happened shortly after his arrival with Newcastle being sold being a huge thing along with other stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Has Duff fulfilled his potential? Have any of us?

I disagree.

Anything in particular you disagree with?? He'd still be head and shoulders above most in the league especially if he just sits and plays rather than trying to play as a winger.

• Advertisement
Advertisement