Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did Damien Duff fulfill his potential?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I remember being in Newcastle in 2007, the locals despised him, he had a decent world cup but nothing to write home about personally. Considering he scored as many goals for Ireland as Kilbane says its all for me. I was at a lot of the McCarthy Era matches, he never really impressed me in the Green jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

bullvine wrote: »
    he never really impressed me in the Green jersey.
    :eek:

:eek:

Its an opinion! I'm only going on what I saw live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

A great player for Ireland and great spells at Blackburn and Chelsea however I'm not sure he got the most out of his career trophy-wise or regular Champions League football.

Did a bit of googling because I remembered Mourinho speaking highly of him at times and found this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2182832&postcount=18
    eirebhoy wrote: »
    Here's what Mourinho had to say before the Arsenal match:

“Damien is our best player, he has been for the last six weeks. He is capable of winning a game on his own and his performances in our recent matches have been fantastic.

“Since Arjen Robben came back from his injury, everyone has been talking about Robben, Robben, Robben, but people forget about Damien. He has scored some incredible goals, his movement in an attacking and defensive sense is fantastic.

“We are going to Highbury to win this game and we’re in confident mood. All our forwards are in good form but Damien is the best of the lot.”

I remember something about Mourinho recalling how he first arrived at Chelsea and had Robben as a first team player in his mind then at training sessions he was delighted at seeing how good Duff was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Aenaes wrote: »
    A great player for Ireland and great spells at Blackburn and Chelsea however I'm not sure he got the most out of his career trophy-wise or regular Champions League football.

Did a bit of googling because I remembered Mourinho speaking highly of him at times and found this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2182832&postcount=18

I remember something about Mourinho recalling how he first arrived at Chelsea and had Robben as a first team player in his mind then at training sessions he was delighted at seeing how good Duff was.

Huh, remember when Mourinho wasn't the most irritating, hateful man in football. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

If you honestly think that then you really never seen the guy live.

One of Irelands great players. The only reason his career didnt hit the height it should have was down to being injury prone. When on top form and injury free he was the most skilfull Irish player i have seen.

It will be a long time before we produce player of that ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Mourinho sucked the joy out of him, like he does everything.

If you honestly think that then you really never seen the guy live.

One of Irelands great players. The only reason his career didnt hit the height it should have was down to being injury prone. When on top form and injury free he was the most skilfull Irish player i have seen.

It will be a long time before we produce player of that ability.

I was at pretty much every home game from the mid 90's till 2005, I seen him live plenty of times.

I am not saying he was rubbish, not at all but which games exactly did he play well in for Ireland because I struggle to recall many of them. He scored a grand total of zero goals in qualifiers for 02 WC as far as I recall when he was playing up front with Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Mourinho sucked the joy out of him, like he does everything.

This sort of post will suck the joy out of reading this thread tbh.

• Advertisement

He was brilliant in the Paris match in fairness to him, that was probably his greatest game in an Irish Jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

I remember being in Newcastle in 2007, the locals despised him, he had a decent world cup but nothing to write home about personally. Considering he scored as many goals for Ireland as Kilbane says its all for me. I was at a lot of the McCarthy Era matches, he never really impressed me in the Green jersey.

As has been said, Duff's biggest mistake in his career was going to Newcastle. He must have had other options when he was leaving Chelsea, but probably got offered a good wage there. Shay Given also made a huge error staying at that club so long during the prime of his career. A club that pays good wages and now and again hits a purple patch but never comes close to winning anything and largely appears to ebb between mediocrity and chaos.

Lennonist wrote: »
    As has been said, Duff's biggest mistake in his career was going to Newcastle. He must have had other options when he was leaving Chelsea, but probably got offered a good wage there. Shay Given also made a huge error staying at that club so long during the prime of his career. A club that pays good wages and now and again hits a purple patch but never comes close to winning anything and largely appears to ebb between mediocrity and chaos.

I am pretty sure he was on his way to Spurs at the time but it was blocked by Chelsea as Spurs had just finished in the top 5 and were more of a threat to them.

A lot of Irish players seem to make bad career choices, look at Kevin Doyle he stayed at Reading too long when a lot of clubs were interested and ended up going to Wolves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Panthro wrote: »
    This sort of post will suck the joy out of reading this thread tbh.

Pipe down, you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Pipe down, you.

Pipe down youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

The man was exceptional for winning frees and giving the team breathers umpteen times. He drew fouls, corners or bet the player he faced. Pity his crossing wasn't world class and his shot was pathetic.

McGeedy has similar cons.

Is it weird that I can't remember Duff at Newcastle!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Lennonist wrote: »

He said he joined NUFC because it felt right in his 'heart'.

Saying that, never got going at Newcastle whatsoever. Injuries, poor attitude and change of managers didn't help him.
    I remember one positive thing he did during the season NUFC were relegated - playing a one two with Mark Viduka to score a 90th minute winner.

Other than that - in an Ireland shirt he couldn't really be faulted, although his style of crossing always irritated me - he never seemed to be able to whip one right in.

All in all - he never fulfilled his potential in my book. Was on the decline before he joined us, but maybe a move elsewhere might have seen him take a different route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Why do you think he put in such a poor effort at Newcastle?

He seemed to kinda resurrect himself at Fulham again for a few years after that so he definitely had some gas left in the tank at Newcastle.

Hard to say. The club was going through some dark times but it didn't excuse the complete lack of effort he put in basically the entire time he was there. He played plenty of games but you'd barely notice he was on the pitch. He seemed to hide an awful lot for whatever reason and the fans turned on him quickly.

He wasn't alone in fairness, Allardyce brought some amount of lemons to the club and he was just one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Hard to say. The club was going through some dark times but it didn't excuse the complete lack of effort he put in basically the entire time he was there. He played plenty of games but you'd barely notice he was on the pitch. He seemed to hide an awful lot for whatever reason and the fans turned on him quickly.

He wasn't alone in fairness, Allardyce brought some amount of lemons to the club and he was just one of them.

He most certainly did, but Duff arrived under Glenn Roeder surprisingly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Oh he did? Ah yes, was 2006 wasn't it.

Says it all about Duff's time there that I barely remember anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

srfc19 wrote: »
    Anything in particular you disagree with?? He'd still be head and shoulders above most in the league especially if he just sits and plays rather than trying to play as a winger.

Keith Fahey was playing for the national until very recently. He hasn't been the standout player in the league this year. Ditto with McPhail, who was playing in the Championship before Christmas.

Duff was a phenomenal player for Ireland and whatever club that signs him are going to get a serious boost in attendances for a short period. But to suggest a 37 year old injury prone player is going to dominate is absolute bull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Rumoured to be signing for Shamrock Rovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Saying a player that age is going to run rings around everybody in our league is just another way of denigrating the league.

That said, I'm sure he'll do very well here and bring a lot to the league.

I don't think Mcphail has got the chance to fully show it yet but has looked very promising when he's played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

srfc19 wrote: »
    From a LOI fan, he's dead right. A couple of years in Oz or the States would be a huge payday. He'd then come back to the LOI and play as a deep lying playmaker and comfortably be the best player in the league.

He'll only be 37, sure Joey Ndo is still doing it and he's 104.

Hes dead right - actually by now most Irish by birth internationals tend to have played in the LOI at some stage usually though in their early 20s.

A really good defensive player can go on for quite a while - look at Maldini. Although hes not in his class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

He turned down Spurs for Newcastle, Spurs probably would have been a much better move for him.

I don't think I've ever seen a player better at drawing a foul. Last few years playing for Ireland he seemed to win a foul nearly every time he got the ball.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

You can't fault his resume, but I thought he'd hold down a spot at a big club for longer. Was gutted Liverpool didn't sign him when heavily linked with him before his move to Chelsea. On a personal note, one of the soundest footballers you'll meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Fair play to Duff. Hope he enjoys his time over in Oz. Gave us some great moments as an Irish fan from youth level to senior. As mentioned he was great at drawing a foul. He was a brilliant outlet for us, give the ball to duff and you know it would stick. Had some great years at Blackburn and Chelsea...brilliant to see an irishman score aginst Barca that time. Hopefully he'll finish his career in LOI like he said he would, would be a great way to end it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

I don't think he fulfilled his potential as a professional footballer.
    On separate occasions after he left Chelsea he chose to join Newcastle and then Fulham when by his own admission he could have taken the option of fighting for his place in a more pressurized team setup.
    To be honest after Chelsea he took the easy option.

Advertisement