Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Procedure to switch to another provider

Options
  • 16-04-2014 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been enquiring today on the correct (by Eircoms rules) procedure to switch to another provider. I have been told that I need to send a letter to a certain address (given to me over the phone) stating my name, account number and phone number and that I wish to give 30 days notice to cease service from Eircom and that I am switching to another provider. I was told that this "cancellation" can take anywhere from 18 to 30 days. I was also told that the new provider cannot take over until the 30 days are up or there will be a 1 months penalty/fine to me. 

Does this mean that I could be left with no phone/broadband for up to 12 days if the "cancellation" goes through quickly? 

Will I be charged an extra months bill if I change over before that 30 days notice is up?

As I am out of contract in a few days, do I still need to provide this letter to change? I thought this was changed via a comreg decision not long ago.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

nothing wrote: »
    Hi,

I have been enquiring today on the correct (by Eircoms rules) procedure to switch to another provider. I have been told that I need to send a letter to a certain address (given to me over the phone) stating my name, account number and phone number and that I wish to give 30 days notice to cease service from Eircom and that I am switching to another provider. I was told that this "cancellation" can take anywhere from 18 to 30 days. I was also told that the new provider cannot take over until the 30 days are up or there will be a 1 months penalty/fine to me. 

Does this mean that I could be left with no phone/broadband for up to 12 days if the "cancellation" goes through quickly? 

Will I be charged an extra months bill if I change over before that 30 days notice is up?

As I am out of contract in a few days, do I still need to provide this letter to change? I thought this was changed via a comreg decision not long ago.

Thanks for any help.

Hi nothing

I can confirm you were advised correctly,

The letter will not cancel your service rather it serves of a notification of intention to move provider. Your service would exist operative up until the point the other provider takes it over however if the other provider takes your service before the 30 day notification is has run its course then one months line rental (20.96 ex vat) and one months standard broadband rental (20.65 ex vat) will be charged to your account. I'm aware of comreges position however this is still eircoms procedure.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Th
    Hi,

Thanks for any help.

Hi nothing

The letter will not cancel your service rather it serves of a notification of intention to move provider. Your service would exist operative up until the point the other provider takes it over however if the other provider takes your service before the 30 day notification is has run its course then one months line rental (20.96 ex vat) and one months standard broadband rental (20.65 ex vat) will be charged to your account. I'm aware of comreges position however this is still eircoms procedure.

Thanks
    Al

Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated. :)Want to avoid those pesky extra charges!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Th
    Hi,

Thanks for any help.

Hi nothing

Thanks
    Al

Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated. :)Want to avoid those pesky extra charges!
    No worries nothing

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bredacq

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

Hi nothing

Thanks
    Al

So Alan? As I asked you on another related post.

Eircom are aware of Comreg's rules but choose to ignore them ! Is that what you are saying???

I have lived in many countries and dealt with many companies' customer service areas, but there is not one that I have dealt with that are as appaling and outrageous as Eircom (who are in my home country of Ireland).

I am currently trying to switch away from Eircom, and not beacuse their Broadband is slow or they have they most expensive packages, no it's because of their shambles of customer service and the constant lies that I am told by their representatives.  They tell me that I am still in contract (when I know that I have never given permission to anyone from Eircom to put me into contract), then they tell me "Oh no, sorry there's a note on your account that says you got a promotion but youare not in contract.  If the other reps went further into the notes on your acct they would have seen that you are not in contract"

Then they tell me that I have to mail them written confirmation of 30 days notice of my intention to switch provider.  To an address which is  

Notifications to Cancel Service,
    Save Desk, 3rd Floor,

Telephone House,

Marlboro St.,

[font=Times New Roman", "serif]Dublin

I actually said to her, "Is this a joke? Am I being punked?"

I then find out today that they are not allowed by Comreg to ask providers to provide 30 days notice of cancellation (apparently Eircom have been 'slapped on the wrist' and fined in Jan of this year for doing this).  To make matters worst if the customer does send them 30 days cancellation notice (which they demand when you tell them that you are switching provider whether or not you are still in contract I was told by an Eircom rep) Eircom then cut off your line and Broadband and the new provider will then have to give them a brand new telephone number.

Today is Good Friday so Comreg are closed but I am getting onto them first thing Tuesday morning and making a complaint about Eircom and ask for advice about what I should do.  
    I suggest anyone else with a problem does the same.  You will find their contact details on their website askcomreg.ie  

[/font]

Advertisement