Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Politics of House Viewing

Options
  • 16-04-2014 3:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭

landlord invites people to view house at 3pm.

15 people show up, 6 of them express an interest in renting the house.

How does the landlord decide who to let the house to?

Is it a case of the first person who offers the landlord the deposit and first month's rent or is it at the landlord's discretion in terms of who they like the look of etc.?

Really confusing - what would the landlord do if 6 people approached him/her offering to pay deposit/first month's rent? How can s/he decide in the space of a 1 hour viewing who should get it?

I am mystified as to how this process works and thus am asking you clever people to enlighten me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Usually rings the successful viewer later on once everyone leaves. He/she will probably decide by the look of you after asking a few questions. Sad but true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Usually rings the successful viewer later on once everyone leaves. He/she will probably decide by the look of you after asking a few questions. Sad but true.

Seriously??!!

Wow - that is sad

Didn't realise I had to wear my Sunday best to a house viewing, maybe bring some flowers and chocolates - what a sham.

I'll try to avoid these from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭elysium321

I've never been a landlord myself but I would have thought that they will pick whoever represents the lowest risk (of non-payment, damage to the property, anti-social behaviour, noise,...) and the highest longevity so they don't have to go through the process again. All that by reviewing the references (bank, previous landlords, employer) as well as their gut feel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

elysium321 wrote: »
    I've never been a landlord myself but I would have thought that they will pick whoever represents the lowest risk (of non-payment, damage to the property, anti-social behaviour, noise,...) and the highest longevity so they don't have to go through the process again. All that by reviewing the references (bank, previous landlords, employer) as well as their gut feel.

Firstly I don't believe they have any right to request bank records nor have I ever been asked for them

Secondly in terms of judging who represents the lowesr risk of non-payment, damage to property, anti-social behaviour and noise - good luck determining that while someone walks around your house for 5 minutes asking a few questions.

The whole process strikes me as absurd and basically necessitates the landlord to be highly judgmental based on very little actual evidence.

A better way?

If I seem like a reasonably normal person, have solid references, am employed and am the first person to tell you that I'll stump up the deposit and first month's rent then bingo let's sign

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

donfers wrote: »
    Seriously??!!

Wow - that is sad

Didn't realise I had to wear my Sunday best to a house viewing, maybe bring some flowers and chocolates - what a sham.

I'll try to avoid these from now on.

I went for a house (as a student, granted) a few years ago and there was about 50 people there. The LL basically said to the room at large (mostly students) that "Sorry I won't be taking any of the students, professionals/families can stay so I can ask them a few questions". We stayed back pretending we were professionals, and there was about 10 others there, all with the deposit in hand willing to pay up. He pretty much brought us one by one into the kitchen for an interview of sorts, expecting references, proof of our profession etc.

Needless to say we didn't get it, and the house was snapped up by the next day. If you can bring references with you or make an effort to look "professional" then do it. It's very judgemental and pretty much discrimination but there's nothing we can do about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭elysium321

I was asked for bank references for my first rented property. It was basically a letter from the bank confirming that I have been their client for such and such period and I am well able to pay a monthly rent of €xxx. No other details. I agree with you that they have no right to request any bank records. On the other hand it's solely their decision whether they rent the property to you or to someone else.
    If I seem like a reasonably normal person, have solid references, am employed and am the first person to tell you that I'll stump up the deposit and first month's rent then bingo let's sign

Which is exactly what I said. That was my experience anyway.

Some landlords prefer families over a group of students. Some prefer individuals over families with children. It really depends on the landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

landlord invites people to view house at 3pm.

15 people show up, 6 of them express an interest in renting the house.

How does the landlord decide who to let the house to?

References usually decide it, a person's profession might come into it (for example, a stable job would be favourable), offering more rent sometimes helps. A variety of things can decide it.

Certainly being the first won't be the deciding factor. I went to a viewing with my BF last week, approximately 10 people there. One girl beelined for the letting agent and says "I'll take it!" Cue sharp and slightly amused glances from everyone else in the place! :pac: The agent was like "aaahhhh, put your name and number on the list if you're interested". In fairness, she wasn't Irish so maybe her English wasn't perfect and she meant "I'm interested in taking it". No idea if she got it in the end.
    elysium321 wrote: »
    All that by reviewing the references (bank, previous landlords, employer) as well as their gut feel.

If a prospective landlord wanted to see my bank balance, I'd tell them where to go. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

Has this recently started to happen again?! - Which town(s) is this common?

daelight wrote: »
    Has this recently started to happen again?! - Which town(s) is this common?

Dublin, reckon everywhere else is grand. All the jobs are here and there's an accommodation shortage. We need more high-density housing basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

Amazing - I went through all that in 2006 in Dublin, most people were taking rooms without even see them. Can't believe its rearing its ugly head again. Good luck to all of those having to go through that charade.

• Advertisement

Amazing - I went through all that in 2006 in Dublin, most people were taking rooms without even see them. Can't believe its rearing its ugly head again. Good luck to all of those having to go through that charade.

Another factor is that fewer people are buying now so staying in rentals longer. But in the six months, things have gone really crazy. My new landlord said that post 2008, it always took him a while to find new tenants but this time he was inundated with very interested parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The landlord wants a good tenant who'll pay the rent punctually, treat the property will and preferably will stay for a while. Being first across the threshold waving your chequebook is not evidence of any of these things. The landlord is no more obliged to let to the first person who offers than the tenant is obliged to rent the first property he sees.

Its not easy for a landlord reliably to identify the tenant with the desirable characteristics. Still, he's certainly going to try, rather than adopt an arbitrary rule of selecting a tenant on the basis of a frankly irrelevant criterion. Employment status, bank references, etc are not perfect, but they're better than nothing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Dublin never had an abundance of supply- and despite being the area most in demand even during the boom- had the fewest completions per head of population- of anywhere in the country. We need high density housing essentially- with proper services and amenities. Ironically- the latest amendments to planning permissions for developments in the Dublin area which were mothballed- are to lower the densities (the most visual of these is Adamstown)- while concurrently, relaxing the need to provide services and amenities to the developments.

Its a cluster****- the lack of a central planning authority being the major issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

a stable job would be favourable
    What if you've never worked in a stable?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

What if the next guy 2 minutes after you has all that and happens to be a civil servant (more or less job for life). Who would you offer the place to if you had to make the decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Another thing that's happened it's rents are gone up so much that landlords are evicting people on lower rents/ or rent allowance because they know they can get more with a new tenant. I've recently heard of people offering first months rent and deposit up front at viewings and agreeing to pay over the asking price even starting a bidding war with other perspective tenants on a rental!! It's crazy in Dublin at the mo

murphaph wrote: »
    What if the next guy 2 minutes after you has all that and happens to be a civil servant (more or less job for life). Who would you offer the place to if you had to make the decision?

Don't offer it to the civil servant- god only knows what salary he'll be on after the next budget- civil servants and social welfare recipients- need not apply, as neither have a predictable income- and both are budget targets. We're going to cut another 2 billion from the budget in October- its politically expedient to target civil servants- and social welfare recipients- to pay for small income tax adjustments for PRSI employees.

No Pants wrote: »
    What if you've never worked in a stable?

Quit horsing around.......:p

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If a prospective landlord wanted to see my bank balance, I'd tell them where to go. :eek:

Ya, and they'd then tell you where to go, and call up the next person on the list.

Ya, and they'd then tell you where to go, and call up the next person on the list.
    Yup. As the state has singly failed to deliver some protection for landlords from delinquent tenants (and yes, it has also failed to provide tenants adequate protection from delinquent landlords, but the delinquent tenant holds much stringer cards: an entire property) so landlords are using the squeeze on rentals to change the rules a bit in their favour: bank statements will be asked for as there is no credit scoring system. In Germany no LL will rent to anyone without seeing their credit rating which is a standard document available at nominal cost (free once every 12 months) with a simple percentage score on it. LLs want to see 97%+. If a newcomer to Germany has no rating yet, they generally offer their work contract and/or bank statements to prove they have the funds to actually pay for what the LL is handing to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Which they are entitled to do, and which would be mutually beneficial. I would prefer deal with a different landlord myself in that case also (ie one that wasn't demanding personal financial documents after all else has been given).
    I have been renting on and off for almost 15 years and track record should speak for itself.

BeatNikDub wrote: »
    Which they are entitled to do, and which would be mutually beneficial. I would prefer deal with a different landlord myself in that case also (ie one that wasn't demanding personal financial documents after all else has been given).
    I have been renting on and off for almost 15 years and track record should speak for itself.
    If you go for a 1k bank loan they'll ask to see this stuff. No reason a LL who is about to hand over legal control of an asset worth hundreds of thousands shouldn't see the same information really.

Rachiee wrote: »
    Another thing that's happened it's rents are gone up so much that landlords are evicting people on lower rents/ or rent allowance because they know they can get more with a new tenant. I've recently heard of people offering first months rent and deposit up front at viewings and agreeing to pay over the asking price even starting a bidding war with other perspective tenants on a rental!! It's crazy in Dublin at the mo

We pipped someone else to the post recently by offering more rent. Unfair maybe, but we needed somewhere to live.

And I'd be fine with that. Unless every single landlord starts asking for bank balance info, and so far that's nowhere near happening from my experience, even in Dublin. So, yup, telling them where to go would be what I would happily do. :cool:
    BeatNikDub wrote: »

+1

I'd have no interest in renting a property from such a person.

What would landlords do if absolutely everyone refuses to give them that documentation? Back to the drawing board, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

murphaph wrote: »
    If you go for a 1k bank loan they'll ask to see this stuff. No reason a LL who is about to hand over legal control of an asset worth hundreds of thousands shouldn't see the same information really.

Banks are bound by compliance to protect the information they receive. Its tightly controlled even within the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

People have now started turning up with more money and I imagne that appeals to LL too. :(

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    People have now started turning up with more money and I imagne that appeals to LL too. :(

Well, I guess that's the market finding its rate, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Well, I guess that's the market finding its rate, unfortunately.

Indeed. Going back to Mammy's :D (rather give money to her than LL until I can buy). Now....about the pets... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

As a LL i set up all viewing on the same day. I give every one a 15 mins slot. I show them about, as for references, talk them through what will happen next. I ask them questions about employment, what they like to do etc.. I have 15 mins to try and suss them out. (aside: I'm trying to evaluate if I can trust them with the only asset I have for the mortgage that is crippling my family.) I take notes, and move on to the next person/people.

At the end of the process, I think back to who i liked the most. I offer it to them and if they take it, I text everyone else back to say "sorry, thanks, and good luck".

It's not ideal, but thats all we have.

The last tenants I gave it to offered didn't offer me the most, and I took a risk that they mightn't be able afford it. But you know what, they seemed like lovely people. I had an instant feeling about them. I was glad to rent to them, and thankfully we get on great.

I'm sorry, but you wouldn't believe how some tenants act. Showing up really late (like an hour late), walking around with a sense of entitlement. Picking an argument about rent relief (when you've CLEARLY stated NO RENT RELIEFAllowence). Some people are mad.

Show up on time. Dress appropriately. Act appropriately. Like it or not, it's essentially an interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Zulu wrote: »
    As a LL i set up all viewing on the same day. I give every one a 15 mins slot. I show them about, as for references, talk them through what will happen next. I ask them questions about employment, what they like to do etc.. I have 15 mins to try and suss them out. (aside: I'm trying to evaluate if I can trust them with the only asset I have for the mortgage that is crippling my family.) I take notes, and move on to the next person/people.

At the end of the process, I think back to who i liked the most. I offer it to them and if they take it, I text everyone else back to say "sorry, thanks, and good luck".

It's not ideal, but thats all we have.

The last tenants I gave it to offered didn't offer me the most, and I took a risk that they mightn't be able afford it. But you know what, they seemed like lovely people. I had an instant feeling about them. I was glad to rent to them, and thankfully we get on great.

I'm sorry, but you wouldn't believe how some tenants act. Showing up really late (like an hour late), walking around with a sense of entitlement. Picking an argument about rent relief (when you've CLEARLY stated NO RENT RELIEF). Some people are mad.

Show up on time. Dress appropriately. Act appropriately. Like it or not, it's essentially an interview.

No rent relief, are you not declaring?

Advertisement