Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Politics of House Viewing

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

That's why two months rent as deposit should be standard even at that its not enought when the tenant doesn't want to pay the rent.

I rather the paying for the first and last month's rent thing to paying two months deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Its not as easy as you think. Most savvy landlords can suss out the fakes while talking to them. Nobody should ever take a written reference as real anyway and should always call and have a good chat about the person.
    And good luck faking 3 of them.

My company refuses to give out any references when you finish up. It's their policy after somebody took legal action previously after they issued an incorrect reference about somebodies ability. So now they just issue a letter saying Fr Stone worked here as X from Y to Z.

Surely if that is the policy of a company I work for (a major MNC) it would be advisable that Landlords follow the same policy of refusing to write a reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

FrStone wrote: »
    My company refuses to give out any references when you finish up. It's their policy after somebody took legal action previously after they issued an incorrect reference about somebodies ability. So now they just issue a letter saying Fr Stone worked here as X from Y to Z.

Surely if that is the policy of a company I work for (a major MNC) it would be advisable that Landlords follow the same policy of refusing to write a reference.

Refusal of providing a reference is a red flag. Most multi nationals will just confirm facts like you said...dates of work and positions - no positive or negative language that may imply something or have someone interpret the reference wrong.

A landlord reference should be the same...tenant from x date, no arrears, deposit returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I rather the paying for the first and last month's rent thing to paying two months deposit.
    Of course you would! But it's pretty fu*king useless to the Landlord; that's only security for rent being paid for those months & not any damages, or other missed rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I don't even think I have contact details for my third to last landlord. I also hate the thought of bothering someone like that who isn't even getting any economic benefit from knowing me anymore. I had to get proof of residence from a former landlord to get a small grant for a postgrad and felt so bad badgering her about it. The second to last, I wouldn't mind as I'd still be fairly fresh in the memory.

Three references is a tad excessive, IMO. Many prospective employers don't even look for that many!

Many landlords wont even given written references as its extera work. They will take a call and do a reference that way. Im in my current place five years, the previous company I leased from has closed due to bankrupcy so I would need to go back over ten years for another reference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Hi all,

Am relatively new to renting - have been living in a house share for the last year and before that with my ex who did all the renting.

I'm going to view a place tonight - the price is right and it seems ok from pictures. It's in a questionable area but that doesn't bother me too much.

My question is (and please excuse the childish enquiry!) that I will be viewing with my friend that I intend on moving with. I don't get paid til Friday.

Are they going to be expecting us to turn up with a deposit on the spot? I just don't have the cash to hand at all at the moment and neither does he.

We're very interested in the apartment but having read this thread, I'm a bit worried now that they'll have no interest in us at all because we won't have a deposit on us when we turn up.

We won't be moving for another month (have to give current LL 4 weeks notice) and it might not necessarily be the place for us so I don't want to just hand over a deposit even if I had it.

Any help welcomed!!

Zulu wrote: »
    Of course you would! But it's pretty fu*king useless to the Landlord; that's only security for rent being paid for those months & not any damages, or other missed rent.

With the current system we have in Ireland, no way would I hand over more than one month's deposit. Landlords keeping huge chunks of deposit for ridiculous reasons is still rife, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Hi all,

Am relatively new to renting - have been living in a house share for the last year and before that with my ex who did all the renting.

I'm going to view a place tonight - the price is right and it seems ok from pictures. It's in a questionable area but that doesn't bother me too much.

My question is (and please excuse the childish enquiry!) that I will be viewing with my friend that I intend on moving with. I don't get paid til Friday.

Are they going to be expecting us to turn up with a deposit on the spot? I just don't have the cash to hand at all at the moment and neither does he.

We're very interested in the apartment but having read this thread, I'm a bit worried now that they'll have no interest in us at all because we won't have a deposit on us when we turn up.

We won't be moving for another month (have to give current LL 4 weeks notice) and it might not necessarily be the place for us so I don't want to just hand over a deposit even if I had it.

Any help welcomed!!

Depends on the place. I've been looking for a while too and most places seem to want you to send an email with your details / references and then will decide from everyone interested who they want.

However, I have seen / heard of places that take the deposit on the spot to rent to the first person to say yes

Generally speaking: no you don't need to rick up with the deposit. But if you decide to take it (and they decide to rent to you) you'll need to stump up the deposit fairly quickly afterwards to secure the lease.

As a LL, I only ask for the deposit when we've all come to an agreement.

Landlords keeping huge chunks of deposit for ridiculous reasons is still rife, I'm afraid.
    Has this happened to you personally?

As a tenant, this has never once happened to me. And as a LL I've yet to retain someones deposit (thankfully, & touch wood).

I'm not disputing it happens - I'm just disputing its as "rife" as people are inclined to make out. That said, as a tenant, it's always a niggle at the back of my mind - will they/wont they.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

As a tenant, this has never once happened to me. And as a LL I've yet to retain someones deposit (thankfully, & touch wood).

I'm not disputing it happens - I'm just disputing its as "rife" as people are inclined to make out. That said, as a tenant, it's always a niggle at the back of my mind - will they/wont they.

It's happened to me twice out of about 8 rentals, the first time I was a student and didn't understand my rights and the landlord got away with it. The second I took him to the PRTB and about a year later got my money back

It has also happened to a few of my friends. It's by no means every landlord but it definitely does happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

With the current system we have in Ireland, no way would I hand over more than one month's deposit. Landlords keeping huge chunks of deposit for ridiculous reasons is still rife, I'm afraid.

Well, you wouldn't have to, because of the simple fact that there is such a high demand for rental properties, the landlord doesn't have to entertain you or give you a place as there's someone else who'll take it.

It's a minefield and I suppose you have to go on your gut with people, and references are one of the only things you have to judge.

As for RA forget it, not a chance not worth the risk.

At the end of the day it's a risk assessment from the landlords point of view and doing everything to minimise the risk of someone defaulting on their rent, and not destroying the place.

Personally I prefer couples with kids, it means they're a family unit, unlikely to split up at a moments notice, and more likely to keep the place in decent order as it's their home.

When a couple show up you don't know if they've lived together before, and if they haven't, there's a high possibility of a break up as they realise they can't live together.

Two people sharing will sooner or later lead to issues with personal space etc, regardless of whether they're friends or not. In fact one way to loose a friend is to go live with them.

The above are generally what we try to take into account, granted the kids might write on the walls, but you'll repaint anyway when they move out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

The Spider wrote: »
    Well, you wouldn't have to, because of the simple fact that there is such a high demand for rental properties, the landlord doesn't have to entertain you or give you a place as there's someone else who'll take it.

It's a minefield and I suppose you have to go on your gut with people, and references are one of the only things you have to judge.

As for RA forget it, not a chance not worth the risk.

At the end of the day it's a risk assessment from the landlords point of view and doing everything to minimise the risk of someone defaulting on their rent, and not destroying the place.

Personally I prefer couples with kids, it means they're a family unit, unlikely to split up at a moments notice, and more likely to keep the place in decent order as it's their home.

When a couple show up you don't know if they've lived together before, and if they haven't, there's a high possibility of a break up as they realise they can't live together.

Two people sharing will sooner or later lead to issues with personal space etc, regardless of whether they're friends or not. In fact one way to loose a friend is to go live with them.

The above are generally what we try to take into account, granted the kids might write on the walls, but you'll repaint anyway when they move out.

lol, do you offer relationship counselling too? Fair enough its your prerogative to use whatever filtering mechanism you choose, but I really think thats one of the funniest assertions I have seen for a while :) You think that people with kids are more likely to keep a place in good order "because its their home"?? So, the childless on the brink of breaking up among us - do we not live in homes? Do I live in a pig sty because I've no kids?? Whatever you do, dont rent to two lesbians - sure do you not know they're forever breaking up - they bring delivery vans on their second dates ;)

It happened to me once and I deserved it. Aside from that, its like you said, just a niggle, especially if there has been any issues with LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    lol, do you offer relationship counselling too? Fair enough its your prerogative to use whatever filtering mechanism you choose, but I really think thats one of the funniest assertions I have seen for a while :) You think that people with kids are more likely to keep a place in good order "because its their home"?? So, the childless on the brink of breaking up among us - do we not live in homes? Do I live in a pig sty because I've no kids?? Whatever you do, dont rent to two lesbians - sure do you not know they're forever breaking up - they bring delivery vans on their second dates ;)

Ha, like I said it's a minefield and my criteria could prove to be way off, but we've found that seems to work, we'll soon find out we've just let it again.

I suppose personal experience comes into it, from all the time I rented and friends moving in with their partners, were soon breaking up, not all but enough.

All you can do is hope for the best!

Ha, like I said it's a minefield and my criteria could prove to be way off, but we've found that seems to work, we'll soon find out we've just let it again.

I suppose personal experience comes into it, from all the time I rented and friends moving in with their partners, were soon breaking up, not all but enough.

All you can do is hope for the best!

True. Sorry if my post was a little reactionary. I'm renting with the OH the past 2 years. We plan to buy somewhere soon. Suppose age comes into it too.

I just found a great place in Dublin sans ridiculous deposit requests. :confused:

Yuppers, a number of times.

Advertisement