Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

error message on pc desk top

Options
  • 16-04-2014 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

MsMpeng.exe is the Microsoft Malware Protection exe/engine, did you do an update recently ?

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

uch wrote: »
    MsMpeng.exe is the Microsoft Malware Protection exe/engine, did you do an update recently ?

Having Same trouble in work with some xp machines. Mse service has stopped presumably because ms is not supporting xp.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

MSE still supports XP.. Try uninstalling and reinstalling MSE or else uninstall MSE and install another anti virus product like Avast. You may have a nasty rootkit type infection or some malware that is deliberately blocking MSE from working. I would certainly run an anti virus scan to rule out any viruses or malware as this sounds suspicious to me.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

yoyo wrote: »
    MSE still supports XP.. Try uninstalling and reinstalling MSE

MSE is still supported for XP but my understanding is that it's for definition updates only & for those that already have the Prog installed. I tried to install it yesterday on a XP machine and it was having none of it. Told me it was no longer available for XP ;)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

DOWNLOAD avast antivirus , free home version.
    www.avast.com

its better than ms se antivirus anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Update, had 10 PC hang on me today, it looks like it was a bad definition update (the cynic in me is not surprised)

Here's a copy of what I found on Tom's Hardware
    You don't have to uninstall the Microsoft Security Essentials program. It was a bad definition / scan engine update and they released a fix already this morning. Update your MSE definition files, reboot, and you should be fine. If you can't update with the MSE program itself hit the Windows Update Catalog and search on 1.171.64.0

Had this issue on a bunch of Win XP systems this morning for one of my customers. Definition update 1.171.64.0 seems to have fixed the issue for Microsoft Security Essentials running on Windows XP systems. I downloaded it via the Windows Update Catalog site and then pulled out the

X86-all-am_delta_01c5765ad7d884b780031a7c2f72fc4c30b14094.exe

to apply to my 32-bit XP systems and the error was resolved.
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2108032/windows-system-hangs-login-screen-security-essential.html

Advertisement