Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday bars/nightclubs

Options
  • 16-04-2014 4:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of any nightclubs/bars open after 12 on Good friday night?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Anyone know of any nightclubs/bars open after 12 on Good friday night?

Millions, not in Ireland though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Millions, not in Ireland though.

No probs, thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

According to a thread in the Beer & Wine & Spirits forum pubs / nightclubs are not allowed to open at midnight on Good Friday. Some places may have flouted the law in the past.

Pubs can open on Good Friday but only sell soft drinks and food.

Thanks, does any one know of the pubs that will be open on Good friday so & until what time? They dont have to serve drink or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thanks, does any one know of the pubs that will be open on Good friday so & until what time? They dont have to serve drink or anything

OP, no pub in ireland opens so it can sell lemonade!

They will be closed.

It's only one day, get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Ballabriggs14

OP, no pub in ireland opens so it can sell lemonade! They will be closed.
    Several pubs may be open until the early evening to sell food.
    Strange attitude to have. If everyone was banned from walking their dog or cycling a bike would it be grand because "it's only one day"?

Hear the same nonsense defending Good Friday every year. "It's just one day, can't you do without?!" Not everyone goes on the batter all week, some people just want a few pints after work on a Friday.

Forcing religious laws on a nation in 2014 is an embarrassment. That new Pope should have a word, when he's finished backtracking on everything else the Vatican has dreamt up.

They will be closed.

It never ceases to surprises me how some posters feel the need to post on a thread even though they have absolutely nothing constructive to add to it.

Thanks for some of the helpful replies guys, if anyone hears of anywhere opened later in the evening, it would be appreciated if you could post in this thread. Cheers

They will be closed.

Actually there are pubs in Dublin opening good friday to sell food and non alcoholic drinks. I don't know why there's a need for the hostility toward the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

In previous years, the Skeff, Cellar and others with a good food trade opened until evening time serving food.

I have just checked the Skeff's Facebook page and they have an ad saying "We are open all day Good Friday for food".

I'd imagine all those with good food trade will be open until evening.

Strange attitude to have. If everyone was banned from walking their dog or cycling a bike would it be grand because "it's only one day"?

Everyone is not barred from doing anything.

Publicans and retailers are barred from selling alcohol, that is all.

Many of them are glad of the customer-free day to do work on their premises.

The Quays posted on Facebook yesterday that they are closed.
    The Cellar's Facebook says nothing about Friday.
    The Front Door say they open normal restaurant hours only, and no alcohol will be served.
    Busker Brownes don't say either way on their Facebook.

There you go OP, at least two restaurants where you can go for a meal. Hope that's what you were really looking for.

Anyone who thinks "It's one day, get over it" is hostile needs to get out more.

• Advertisement

The galway greyhound stadium guys, I've heard rumours that this is open. Anyone know what the story with it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

...There you go OP, at least two restaurants where you can go for a meal. Hope that's what you were really looking for.

Anyone who thinks "It's one day, get over it" is hostile needs to get out more.

The OP was looking for nightclubs or bars opening after midnight. I doubt food was on their mind. :)

I must get out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gerobrien25

McHughs on Tuam rd open for food only from 12 to 3

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

The galway greyhound stadium guys, I've heard rumours that this is open. Anyone know what the story with it is?

Yes it's true. Says the bar is open!
    http://www.igb.ie/Great-Night-Out/Good-Friday/

I must get out more.

Just not on good friday ;)
    ned14 wrote: »
    Yes it's true. Says the bar is open!
    http://www.igb.ie/Great-Night-Out/Good-Friday/

Doesn't say anything about serving alcohol though, I wonder if that's a deliberate ommission!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

Doesn't say anything about serving alcohol though, I wonder if that's a deliberate ommission!

They can definitely serve alcohol on Good Friday, but I think they only start 30mins before the first race. They have an exemption under the Intoxicating Liquor Act.

Ah I see! Good to know, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,461 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The Dail is open for food only till 9.
    If there is a show on the bar in the Town Hall can open. The bar in the railway station can serve you if you are travelling.

Ah I'll be travelling south on a train Friday (it's part of my new resolution to get out more) sure I might have a pint :P

http://www.joe.ie/joe-life/life-features/5-ways-to-get-around-the-good-friday-alcohol-prohibition/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

If you just want food the best bet is any restaurant that operates as part of a hotel though you should probably call beforehand to check. Some of the restaurants will serve their patrons a glass of wine with their meal. I'm not sure how legal this is but I have worked in more than on premises that used this rule on Good Friday

If you want to purchase a drink on Good Friday the following are your choices:
    Hotels are allowed to serve alcohol to anybody staying in the hotel
    Trains/train stations are allowed to serve alcohol to persons who have purchased a train ticket (no matter how short the journey)
    Airports are allowed to server patrons of the airport.
    A theatre is allowed to serve alcohol to patrons attending a show or other event (I believe this is similar to the licence that allows greyhound tracks to serve though I could be wrong)
    EDIT
    Ah I'll be travelling south on a train Friday (it's part of my new resolution to get out more) sure I might have a pint :P

http://www.joe.ie/joe-life/life-features/5-ways-to-get-around-the-good-friday-alcohol-prohibition/
    As this whooppsa link points out a boat is also an option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

b.gud wrote: »
    Some of the restaurants will serve their patrons a glass of wine with their meal. I'm not sure how legal this is but I have worked in more than on premises that used this rule on Good Friday

Mary Fahy refused to record convictions for this a few years back.

The Dail is open for food only till 9.
    If there is a show on the bar in the Town Hall can open. The bar in the railway station can serve you if you are travelling.

However I believe they cracked down, and will only serve you 15 minutes before your actual train leaves.

So your single ticket to Oranmore just amounts to only one very expensive beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

However I believe they cracked down, and will only serve you 15 minutes before your actual train leaves.

So your single ticket to Oranmore just amounts to only one very expensive beer.

Im sure they will serve you on the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

I only just realised that Good Friday is TOMORROW!

*immediately leaves work; goes to off licence; buys enough alcohol to poison Shane McGowan*

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Music4life

Greyhound track is selling booze. Wheres open at 12 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Tom Sheridans on the Clybaun Road are open serving food according to their Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

3 mins left ladies and gents before the offie closes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

mikehunts wrote: »
    3 mins left ladies and gents before the offie closes.

Just made it before ten, the 5 minute warning sounded and there was a mad rush to the tills, a few people with only food in there trolleys had the good heart to leave people with alcohol ahead.

Guards visited at least one pub shortly after midnight last night. Looked crestfallen when they realised all glasses were gone, and we were already putting our coats on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Guards visited at least one pub shortly after midnight last night. Looked crestfallen when they realised all glasses were gone, and we were already putting our coats on.

Time to remove this silly law in my opinion.

Advertisement