Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anglo Trial - Read Mod Warning in First post

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Jumboman wrote: »
    I never said I believed in the "law" but I do believe in justice.

The law is (supposedly) a representation of of the democratic will of the people. As such, any judgement based on the law is justice based on what the majority perceive justice to be. Obviously it isn't a perfect manifestation, but I don't know of any superior mechanism for deciding on what justice is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

This picture really sums it up

10152461_708193525899194_1686048023592933552_n.jpg

Not really. It just sums up how brain dead some people are to believe in this crap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

The law is (supposedly) a representation of of the democratic will of the people. As such, any judgement based on the law is justice based on what the majority perceive justice to be. Obviously it isn't a perfect manifestation, but I don't know of any superior mechanism for deciding on what justice is?

If the law really was the democratic will of the people the banksters would all be hung from the nearest lamppost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

If the law really was the democratic will of the people the banksters would all be hung from nearest lamppost.

You think the majority of people want "the banksters" hung from a lampost?

Not everyone is a keyboard warrior holding that idiotic view

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

You think the majority of people want "the banksters" hung from a lampost?

Not everyone is a keyboard warrior holding that idiotic view

How about a poll on it so ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

So ... what happens if you don't pay the TV Licence then ?

These people have to pay for what they've done - but in Oireland - if you are Rich and part of The Peeple who Matter - that does not happen.

Ask the wrong question - and, you don't get the right answer.
    Then - they go Free on their merry way.
    Smoke n Mirrors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

EX-ANGLO IRISH EXECUTIVES TO BE SENTENCED AT 3:45 PM

My prediction - 1 year suspended sentence for each.

No really, that is my prediction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Groundsource

EX-ANGLO IRISH EXECUTIVES TO BE SENTENCED AT 3:45 PM

My prediction - 1 year suspended sentence for each.

No really, that is my prediction.
    Any idea what odds Paddy Power is given?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

they will get a year

a few nights in the Joy and then transferred out to Shelton Abbey for a few months to help out with the farm animals:rolleyes:

How many years did the garlic man get?

• Advertisement

Brian O'Donovan ‏@BrianODTV3
    #AngloTrial sentence due in the next 10 minutes - courtroom number 19 is filling up. #TV3News

The howls of derision are imminent I think.

Lending to Maple 10 was a "blatant affront to s60" no matter what the motivation was, says Judge Nolan.

+ pinning copious blame on our non existent regulator.

"I find it incredible that red lights did not go off somewhere in the Regulator's office," says #Anglo trial judge #Anglotrial

Erm

The "red" lights did not go off because the "regulator" was an ejjit.

Sentences in Anglo trial will NOT be custodial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Non Custodial, I'm ducking for cover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Sentences in Anglo trial will NOT be custodial.

For f*ck's sake.
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

According to Newstalk the sentences will be non custodial.

Shouldn't be shocked by this but its making my blood:mad: boil.

Judge said the state led them in to illegality. He has a point in fairness.

Dearbhail McDonald ‏@DearbhailDibs 1m
    Why did #anglotrial duo avoid prison? The Financial Regulator has played a key role, it seems #anglo

Judge says he is examining whether or not to give the men community service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Chances of a DPP appeal on leniency grounds?
    This is the man who delivered the Garlic tax sentence. It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

so all the treacherous b@stards that caused this have walked off into the sunset

rotten corrupt kip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Why am I not surprised :mad: - From BreakingNews:
    Former Anglo executives Willie McAteer and Pat Whelan will not be going to prison for issuing illegal loans to the Maple Ten.
    Judge Martin Nolan has ordered a probation report to assess their suitability for community service.
    He said it would be ‘unjust’ to jail the two former bankers when a state agency, namely the financial regulator, caused them to go into error.

Anyone who still thinks that this country is fit to govern itself is deluded!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Glad to see they have correctly not been given jail time.

That would have been ridiculous. It would have been the equivalent of the Gardai telling you you can drive at 130km down the main road and then arresting you and giving you jail time for doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

He said it would be ‘unjust’ to jail the two former bankers when a state agency, namely the financial regulator, caused them to go into error.
    They were found fcuking guilty of committing a crime.. how in the name of jesus would serving them justice be unjust? :mad:

What an absolute joke. I hope that idiot judge gets hit by a double decker bus.. he's the same lad that sentenced the garlic fella to 6 years in jail.

Also - http://www.herald.ie/news/courts/judge-who-jailed-garlic-cheat-frees-sex-attacker-28849442.html

• Advertisement

I believe the appropriate phrase is "let them eat cake!"

Irish Justice eh? But what can ye expect when those in charge in politics, judiciary and business are all related or inter-married and thus joined at the hip :rolleyes:

Love reading the responses of the posters that clearly don't have a clue about the case. Going mad over a correct decision. A decision made in a court of law at that just to back it up even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

That would have been ridiculous. It would have been the equivalent of the Gardai telling you you can drive at 130km down the main road and then arresting you and giving you jail time for doing it.

But will the regulator be charged? He will in his hole.

Love reading the responses of the posters that clearly don't have a clue about the case. Going mad over a correct decision. A decision made in a court of law at that just to back it up even more.

"He made me do it"/"the Regulator didn't catch me out" isn't an adequate defence for the deliberate and systematic fraud carried out in Anglo if for no other reason than these guys knew full well that what they were doing was wrong - or have you forgotten the Anglo Tapes

As for the judgements of Irish Courts.. this latest one just proves how unfit for purpose they are!

You're a fcuking clown if you think they don't deserve a custodial sentence. They were found guilty by a jury.. the culpability of any other party shouldn't even come into it.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    But will the regulator be charged? He will in his hole.

What does that have to do with this case?

The 2 bankers should be put in jail because the people who's actual fault it was won't be? Now that would be injustice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭Daith

So you report the Gardai not break the law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

What does that have to do with this case?

That it illustrates the failure of the state to tackle abuses of power, cronyism and the well known ills which have dogged it since its foundations.

You're a fcuking clown if you think they don't deserve a custodial sentence. They were found guilty by a jury.. the culpability of any other party shouldn't even come into it.

I'm a fcuking clown yeah?

Keep it classy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭flutered

yes people do have a clue, neary has also now been pardoned by the judgement, his legal people can say the due to this judgement he cannot get a fair trial, we do understand the intricitys of things, just the same as investigations into x y and z the guidelines set down govern what can be investigated, as my late granny used to say, the whitewash brush was out again.

Nodin wrote: »
    That it illustrates the failure of the state to tackle abuses of power, cronyism and the well known ills which have dogged it since its foundations.

So you are saying these 2 bankers should be put in jail because somebody else didn't do their job?

So you are saying these 2 bankers should be put in jail because somebody else didn't do their job?

So they were innocent of the crime? Or found guilty?

I'm a fcuking clown yeah?

Keep it classy.

If you feel they were in no way responsible then you are an utter clown, yes.

Ignorance of the law is no defence when you break it, and neither is the culpability of any other party who may also have broken the law.

They were found guilty of committing specific crimes by a jury.. for the judge to say that it would be unjust to hold them responsible is a miscarriage of justice. Why bother with such trials if a judge can simply disregard the findings of a jury and the evidence compiled by gardai and the prosecution?

Only serious criminal offences should have jail time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

You'd really have to wonder... WHY did the DPP even bother taking the case? Was it worth all the millions spent on this for them to get a conviction yet not imprison anybody...

And I dont agree with the judge's opinion that "They had nothing to gain personally by making this deal"... As if Whelan and McAteer were patriots, doing this for the sake of the country... Their huge wages, and no doubt a lot of their investments (and loans) were dependent on the success or failure of Anglo, and I'm sure this was foremost in their illegal actions...

What were they found guilty of?

Not paying their TV license or something?

If you feel they were in no way responsible then you are an utter clown, yes.

Ignorance of the law is no defence when you break it, and neither is the culpability of any other party who may also have broken the law.

They were found guilty of committing specific crimes by a jury.. for the judge to say that it would be unjust to hold them responsible is a miscarriage of justice. Why bother with such trials if a judge can simply disregard the findings of a jury and the evidence compiled by gardai and the prosecution?

Surely calling me a fcuking clown is against forum rules

Daith wrote: »
    What were they found guilty of?

If you don't know then why are you posting in the thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭baldbear

Greed is good. Great auld country. One rule for the rich and one for the poor.

Surely calling me a fcuking clown is against forum rules

Go ahead and report it then

This post is certainly a fcuking clown

If you don't know then why are you posting in the thread?

I was asking you? Was it a serious crime or not?

The insults are flying this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Found not guilty. Ridiculous outcome. No justice.

Found guilty- suspended sentence. See above.

Found guilty- community service. Walking off into the sunset.

Found guily- 2 years gaol. Garlic man got 6 years. Ridiculous judge.

Whingers always going to whinge.

Boards is going to break. I just know it.

Advertisement