Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

horse stiffness

Options
  • 16-04-2014 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

My mare 12yrs is starting to get really stiff on one side usually shes super at leg yielding on both legs but is grand on right but not on left. Same as when catering perfect on right rein and leading in wrong leg on left. Have done canter pole work sort of working but still stiff in back legs. Shes a showjumper but has been off work for month still out on borse walker everyday and being lunged plenty. Don't know if its just stiff or that she really has somethin as it was a complete battle with her today. She is stubborn and flighty. Has had her teeth and feet done recently saddle perfect so just wondering is it age catchjng up on her now. I know shes been off for a while but still gettin loads of exercise. Just wondering is there any good supplements out there. I know cortaflex but dont know if thats bit extreme to start with as she still is young
    Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Would you consider getting her checked by a physio/chiropractor? Many times, stiffness is caused by an injury that the muscles tightened around and then didn't release after the injury healed.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob1984

I would be another who would suggest a physio check-up , just to rule it out first and go from there.

After that there are plenty of supplements available - I would suggest starting with some herbal remedies if you don't want to go the Cortaflex route. Orchard equestrian usually stock a large range;

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sleepyboots

Yes i agrees with getting a back man to look her her. I have a number for one that comes highly recommend. He may have a waiting list but is well worth you while waiting for him.
    My horse in 15yr and i have him on Horse First Keep me Sound. Just one scoop a day in there feed. You can get it from Equipet Online or they have stores in Navan and Ashbourne Co Meath and Drogheda Co Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭mystika121

Just from having a read online, Global Herbs seem to do good supplements. Alphabute and Movefree look good. Has anyone used either?

I have just started my horse on Superflex as he can have a bit of stiffness sometimes too. He has had his back checked and nothing was found. Hopefully I will see an improvement. I'm a bit dubious about supplements but it's worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

mystika121 wrote: »
    Just from having a read online, Global Herbs seem to do good supplements. Alphabute and Movefree look good. Has anyone used either?

I have just started my horse on Superflex as he can have a bit of stiffness sometimes too. He has had his back checked and nothing was found. Hopefully I will see an improvement. I'm a bit dubious about supplements but it's worth a try.

I have used global herbs over the yrs the two you named i have used with great success.
    Horse was transformed.

I have used a lot of their otger herbs too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭paddi22

i gave one of my lads a break off work after the season, and when he came back in he was very stiff and slightly lame. got him checked in ucd and it turned out he had osteoarthritis in his hocks. it wasn't noticable when he was in work, but the break made it flare up more.

Advertisement