Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NPR Car Talk

Options
  • 16-04-2014 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭

Any Car Talk listeners around the place?

I've only started listening in the last few weks since it popped up in New and Noteworthy on iTunes, but I'm really loving it so far.

For those that've never listened, I guess I'd describe it as a bit like Top Gear on the radio. In that ostensibly they're there to talk about cars, but they seem to just have a laugh and not take things too seriously. They have callers ring in and then diagnose their various motor issues for them.

My favourite piece of advice so far?

Caller: "Hey guys, there's an awful knocking sound in my engine..."
    Hosts: "Eh, just turn the radio up or something."

:pac:

(Obviously they went and gave a serious answer after that :P)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I love it. My favourite podcast. The fact that you don't even have to be interested in cars shows how funny Click and Clack are. I have no interest or knowledge about cars but I always make sure I get the download every weekend.

Apparently they're retired now and the new shows are from leftover bits from all the stuff they recorded over the years but it's still hilarious.

I don't know if there any fans of this podcast on here but sad news today that Tom died today ay the age of 77. RIP

http://www.npr.org/2014/11/03/357428287/tom-magliozzi-popular-co-host-of-nprs-car-talk-dies-at-77

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

That's really sad news indeed.

I only got into the show a few months ago, but it has fast become one of my favourites. I know they retired a few years back, but the show is still amazingly funny and unique to this day, even if a lot of the clips are decades old.

He'll be missed. RIP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've never listened to the podcast. I take it it's the archive released in order? I used to listen to the show via WBUR on Sunday nights, 10 or 11pm Irish time. Such a connection with an audience is pretty rare, I think. Good humour and deference without the need for crassness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I've never listened to the podcast. I take it it's the archive released in order? I used to listen to the show via WBUR on Sunday nights, 10 or 11pm Irish time. Such a connection with an audience is pretty rare, I think. Good humour and deference without the need for crassness.

Couldn't tell you whether or not it's in order or not, it seems to just be a cherry picking of calls and puzzlers pieced together to form a show.

In fairness, it's very well done. When I started listening a few months a go, I actually didn't know the lads had retired until someone told me on Boards like 3 weeks in. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Couldn't tell you whether or not it's in order or not, it seems to just be a cherry picking of calls and puzzlers pieced together to form a show.

In fairness, it's very well done. When I started listening a few months a go, I actually didn't know the lads had retired until someone told me on Boards like 3 weeks in. :o

I have about 20 shows recorded on cassette tapes from KQED & KALW in the early 90s.

I think they just pick calls at random from over the years. Most are timeless though. It's only when the caller says "I have an '88 Nissan' or whatever that you realise it's an old call. Their mother who called in to give out to them quite a bit was featured in a recent episode and apparently she died in 2003.

Even though the calls are old, I think Ray must still come in to the studio and record some of the little links between calls because some of them are current and topical. For example, last week he referenced the star player from this year's baseball World Series which had only finished and he wouldn't have been relevant back when the show was live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

I love Car Talk but never realised that I was listening to fairly old shows. Very very sad news to hear of Tom Magliozzi's death. I actually would love to have met the two of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I just listened to the most recent podcast yesterday, skipping the previous one where Tom's death is announced.

I then was watching an episode of the Sopranos last night and they had Car Talk on the radio. I was explaining it to my wife and opened podcast lounge and the most recent one starts with Ray announcing Tom's death.

Such a shock after being so excited to have heard it elsewhere.

RIP Tom.

Advertisement