Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big scary DIY list

• 16-04-2014 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

My 02 Mille is the bike I planned to practise my mechanical skills on and it seems the Universe has provided!!

The list is as follows

- Service: oil, plugs, filter, the usual
    - Headstock bearings (never done this before) and it's completely pooped. I'm surprised the bike is handling as well as it is.
    - Begin electrical improvements- fit suitable uprated battery, research uprated starter solenoid (stuck on yesterday :/ ) but stator and reg/ rec appear solid at this stage but I might do the wiring mod anyway.
    - Replace fork seals (never done this before)
    - I have to fit a couple of rear crash mushrooms. This will involve removing the castellated lock nut thingies. I'm trying to find out if the tool required is in any way common.

The scary job is to sort out a stripped plug. It seems the safest way is to remove the head and have my local engine guy do his magic. This involves removing the head and the barrel and replacing the head and base gaskets, the rocker cover gaskets and an exhaust gasket. Round this off with a valve clearance check.

So there's a pretty big tear down in my future (you can probably read 'tear' in either pronunciation!!). All wisdom, encouragement and lending of tools appreciated :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

scary list alright :p I probably wouldnt have gone for an italian litre twin to cut my teeth on lol

barrel has to come off to sort the plug issue? shouldnt need to imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Wossack wrote: »
    scary list alright :p I probably wouldnt have gone for an italian litre twin to cut my teeth on lol

True enough :pac:

In fairness, the vast majority of the list could and does go wrong with most bikes. I've been working my way through the list of common Aprilia electrical bugs for the most part, the bike's been solid. If I caught the donkey that stripped the plug, I'd point out his shortcomings I tells you!!
    barrel has to come off to sort the plug issue? shouldnt need to imo

I was surprised to find this out too but it's a trait of the rotax twins, it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

Yuck..! New piston rings I'd have thought then too?

Any sprag clutch issues? Seems to pop up any time I read bout rsv's (I'm a fan of em!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Yuck..! New piston rings I'd have thought then too?

Seemingly not.
    Any sprag clutch issues? Seems to pop up any time I read bout rsv's (I'm a fan of em!)

Thankfully not and keeping it that way is something I plan on investing in.

I've ordered my fork seals, headstock bearings, tools, Haynes and VTR side stand.

Hopefully I'll have the other bits ordered by Monday.

Poop just got real

Advertisement