Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VISA

Options
  • 16-04-2014 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hello im waiting on my two year work Visa to the USA, I was thinking of going on Holidays to the Usa for 3months while I wait but was told if I go and I cannot return to the USA for another six months!!! Is this true??? And if so is there a way around it???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No, that is not true. There is no set rule in how long you have to wait before you can return to the US, if you have already been over there on a long holiday.

The popular wisdom is to stay out of the US, for at least as long as you were there, before you try to return again. If you don't, you run the risk of giving the impression that you may try to move there illegally & being denied entry. This is just rule of thumb though. There is no hard and set rule. It all depends on your personal circumstances and, what the Immigration office makes of them on the day. You should be ok, as your move to the US is all above board.

If a company is in the process of applying for a visa for you, you should contact them too. The visa they are getting for you may have criteria that set out the terms for any visits you make to the US, while you are waiting for it to come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 superheymaker

Great Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

ProudDUB wrote: »
    No, that is not true. There is no set rule in how long you have to wait before you can return to the US, if you have already been over there on a long holiday.

The popular wisdom is to stay out of the US, for at least as long as you were there, before you try to return again. If you don't, you run the risk of giving the impression that you may try to move there illegally & being denied entry. This is just rule of thumb though. There is no hard and set rule. It all depends on your personal circumstances and, what the Immigration office makes of them on the day. You should be ok, as your move to the US is all above board.

If a company is in the process of applying for a visa for you, you should contact them too. The visa they are getting for you may have criteria that set out the terms for any visits you make to the US, while you are waiting for it to come through.

I wouldn't be so sure to be honest. If it was a short trip maybe but a full 3 months? The fact that you're applying for a visa only let's them know that you want to move to the US, which gives them even more reason to believe that you might just stay.

I don't know what visa you're applying for but many of them do have specific requirements about traveling into or out of the US during the application process.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Also you say you're waiting for the visa - what exactly is it you're waiting for? I know we were hanging around for a while waiting for some lawyers to prep paperwork. When do you expect to be over there? What class of visa are you applying for? I'm not sure, but I think we were slightly restricted on going over before we were approved.

I would also advise against doing a three month trip. A couple of weeks, to where you're planning to move to, makes sense. But a long trip just looks dodgy, and they can be sticklers for that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

spideog7 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure to be honest. If it was a short trip maybe but a full 3 months? The fact that you're applying for a visa only let's them know that you want to move to the US, which gives them even more reason to believe that you might just stay.

If it is a work visa, the OP is not applying for it. The company that they work for, is applying for it. If the company thinks that the OP is worth all that time, money and effort, that kinda separates them from the bog standard Paddy going to the US on a hollier, who may and try and stay their illegally. Why would the OP try and go over illegally & risk all that that entails, if the ball is already rolling on getting him over there legally? That doesn't make any sense.

Going over for a holiday as long 3 months is always something that you have to put some though and effort into. You often have to prove that you have the funds to support yourself, without looking for work. As long as the OP pays attention to the kind of thing, I'd be surprised if the OP was denied entry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement