Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

oil change interval?

• 16-04-2014 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

I'm going to see a bike over the weekend, it's an early 2012 but only has 2,800 km on it. It had it's first and only oil change @ 1,000 km..according to the service manual, it should be changed every 6,000km or 6 months..is it an issue that the bike may be running the same oil for nearly 2 years? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

Would worry me alright.. first few services are pretty important..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Wossack wrote: »
    Would worry me alright.. first few services are pretty important..

hmm, yeah..I know what your saying but thought since it's only covered 1,800km since its last oil change it should be fine...I'd be riding it home too(180 odd km) before I can do an oil change ...not sure what to do now

oh certainly wouldnt put me off, just consider it a good bargaining point

Wossack wrote: »
    oh certainly wouldnt put me off, just consider it a good bargaining point
    yer man wont budge on the price unfortunately..its an r1..not many fresh ones about at the moment..and I'm currently bikeless:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

It wouldn't worry me in the slightlest tbh.

I've always stuck to the mileage intervals and never the time/date on both cars and bikes.

But for my own peace of mind I service any vehicle I buy at the earliest opportunity, seriously it wouldn't cause me a moments doubt if the rest of the bike was clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'd buy it and service it straight away.
    1800km isn't enough time to really do any much damage.
    Acid does build up in oils but thats tiny mileage.

cheers lads. Was supposed to buy it on sat but the lad tells me he sold it today..

yea, to me!!

joking joking :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It wouldn't stop me from buying it if everything seemed nicely in order, but personally I'd never leave the oil in a yoke for more than twelve months regardless of mileage.

Advertisement