Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will you wear an Easter Lily ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Jawgap wrote: »
    Yep......and for most civil minded people.

"civil minded" my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Another thread which shows how out of touch boards is with the rest of the Irish population. There will be no where near 30% of people wearing the Lily on Easter Monday

The resident republican loons will likely see the poll as indicative of a site overrun by 'West Brits'.

Certainly more comforting to spin it that way, rather than countenance the thought their tired oul' ballsology is simply so far at odds with the majority of folks hereabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

Nodin wrote: »
    ...for you.

For most people actually, there are very few people who would support those who engaged in killing kids in Warrington, murdering Australian tourists in Holland, blowing up working people in Guilford and Birmingham, etc.
    I would never do anything that could be mistaken as having anything other than utter contempt for those who engaged in what you so pathetically describe as "the recent armed struggle".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Yamanoto wrote: »
    The resident republican loons will likely see the poll as indicative of a site overrun by 'West Brits'.

Certainly more comforting to spin it that way, rather than countenance the thought their tired oul' ballsology is simply so far at odds with the majority of folks hereabouts.

"ballsology" Are you Michael O Leary of Ryanair?

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    "ballsology" Are you Michael O Leary of Ryanair?

:pac:

michaeloleary_0-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Jawgap wrote: »
    .....and that's where the wheels come off....

I did - hence the questions. No accounts. No trustees. No details of what's raised or how it's spent.

Plus the questions aren't awkward - most charities publish, at least, annual reports giving this info and it's readily accessible. Do the NGA? And if not, why not?

So you read the words "private limited company" and just decided to steam ahead anyway. Good man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Bambi wrote: »
    So you read the words "private limited company" and just decided to steam ahead anyway. Good man

Sorry, where does it say that? I never mentioned it.

There's a "registered no." which I assumed to be a charity registration no. But they don't appear on either the Revenue Commissioner's list (RoI) or the Charity Commission's (UK) list.

I suppose it could be a Company Registration no. - I never thought of that, I just assumed it was a charity.........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭que pasa

For most people actually, there are very few people who would support those who engaged in killing kids in Warrington, murdering Australian tourists in Holland, blowing up working people in Guilford and Birmingham, etc.
    I would never do anything that could be mistaken as having anything other than utter contempt for those who engaged in what you so pathetically describe as "the recent armed struggle".

But I'm sure you would the first person sporting a poppy come remembrance day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

NGA is a private company according to the CRO.....

Anyone know why it's not a charity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

It is an interesting statistic though. 30% of people on this site say they will wear an Easter lily badge while we know from previous years the actual percentage of the adult population who actually wear one will be < 1% which begs two interesting questions related to boards demographics.

1. Are there a greater % of politically active republicans on boards and if so why?

Or

2. Are we experiencing a lot of selection bias where people who don't care (and hence won't wear a badge) are also not interested in voting in this poll. Inflating the yes side beyond what would be expected.

Or

3. Is boards largely populated by younger people who don't remember the horrors of the troubles and are therefore more likely to be dismissive of the crimes carried out by republican groups. Though this is unlikely to be true as it would suggest participation rates for the lily are increasing over time which goes against conventional wisdom on the matter.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    It is an interesting statistic though. 30% of people on this site say they will wear an Easter lily badge while we know from previous years the actual percentage of the adult population who actually wear one will be < 1% which begs two interesting questions related to boards demographics.

1. Are there are greater % of politically active people on boards and if so why?

Or

2. Are we experiencing a lot of selection bias where people who don't care (and hence won't wear a badge) are also not interested in voting in this poll. Inflating the yes side beyond what would be expected.

Have you ever considered that there might be a lot of northern posters here who don't share the same modern southern view of republicanism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

que pasa wrote: »
    Have you ever considered that there might be a lot of northern posters here who don't share the same modern southern view of republicanism?

Is the Easter Lily commonly worn in the North?

Hmm possibly but that would suggest the northern voters would out number the southern voters which without sample bias should not be the case.

But I'm sure you would the first person sporting a poppy come remembrance day.

No, I don't support either really.
    But I'm happy to note that even fewer of my fellow citizens wear the Lily of shame than wear the poppy.

Yes it is
    No, I don't support either really.
    But I'm happy to note that even fewer of my fellow citizens wear the Lily of shame than wear the poppy.

I think it is the case of a country with a serious identity problem which embarrassingly shameful

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

'West Brits' has been mentioned twice in this thread... by you and a fellow sufferer of anti-Republican neurosis. I count that as two bona fide 'loons' (your words) who've posted in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Karl Stein wrote: »
    'loons'

I presume its not birds we are talking about here?

I presume its not birds we are talking about here?

I'm not sure what you mean, Sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I'm not sure what you mean, Sir.

I do birding, loons are a group of aquatic birds found in many parts of North America and northern Eurasia. All living species of loons are members of the genus Gavia, family Gaviidae and order Gaviiformes.

I do birding, loons are a group of aquatic birds found in many parts of North America and northern Eurasia. All living species of loons are members of the genus Gavia, family Gaviidae and order Gaviiformes.

I'll comfortably admit I have nothing approaching your expertise in that field. :)

I've learned a new word.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

In republican/nationalists areas - yes.

Sinn Fein are also the main political party in these areas too. Ever growing support base in the south also.

No difference between an Irish person wearing a lily and a British person wearing a poppy. Both should be respected.

SPM1959 wrote: »
    No difference between an Irish person wearing a lily and a British person wearing a poppy. Both should be respected.
    More like neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Scaglietti

More like neither.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

The 1916 Easter Rising will be commemorated by a military ceremony at the GPO on O'Connell Street in Dublin today.

The event will be led by President Michael D Higgins, Taoiseach Enda Kenny and the Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence Alan Shatter.

The ceremony, which will involve prayers of remembrance, a reading of the Proclamation and the laying of a wreath by President Higgins, will conclude with a fly-past by the Air Corps.

The event, which gets underway at 12pm, will be covered live on RTÉ News Now.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0420/609919-easter-rising/

Maybe some people here should watch listen and learn...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Is there a flower to commemorate those who refused to fight? I'd consider wearing that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Is there a flower to commemorate those who refused to fight? I'd consider wearing that one.

Eoin McNeill and his county volunteers, they were like the population of the inner city, disgusted with the antics of the fantasist Pearce and his gang of oddballs.

The white poppy symbolizes pacifists and conscientious objectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

There was a collection today at mass for Irelands patriot dead I noticed

No I'm from a strong nationalist area and have actually never seen one worn in my life but there does be big ones up on telephone posts sometimes

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

orangesoda wrote: »
    For them? How does that work exactly?

For them? How does that work exactly?

must be for grave maintenance or something, i don't know

jebus, wait until wee Willie Fraiser hears about this!:D

...by you and a fellow sufferer of anti-Republican neurosis.

Now THAT is a badge of honour I could happily pin to my lapel.

jebus, wait until wee Willie Fraiser hears about this!:D

Is that the guy from the Red hand commandos? Who cares what he thinks.

Scaglietti wrote: »
    Is that the guy from the Red hand commandos? Who cares what he thinks.

Maybe you mean the terrorist group 'The Red Branch Knights' the name was stolen from Irish mythology

Maybe you mean the terrorist group 'The Red Branch Knights' the name was stolen from Irish mythology

No the terrorist group Red hand commandos the group that killed 13 people 12 of which where civilians before they're ceasefire. Maybe he was a member of both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

They did a piece on todays Marion Finucane show which concentrated on the opening shots of the 1916 Rising; Casualty No1 was an unarmed policeman who was shot dead outside Dublin Castle, victim No2 was a drunk off duty soldier who was already staggering along the street when shot dead, the 3rd victim was a man who while out for a walk with wife refused to help the rebels build their barricade, so they shot him dead, victim No4 was an old man who was trying to reclaim his wooden pushcart from a barricade, so they shot him too . . .

The full programme will be on the RTE radio player later today (last segnment before the midday news).

LordSutch wrote: »
    They did a piece on todays Marion Finucane show which concentrated on the opening shots of the 1916 Rising; Casualty No1 was an unarmed policeman who was shot dead outside Dublin Castle, victim No2 was a drunk off duty soldier who was already staggering along the street when shot dead, the 3rd victim was a man who while out for a walk with wife refused to help the rebels build their barricade, so they shot him dead, victim No4 was an old man who was trying to reclaim his wooden pushcart from a barricade, so they shot him too . . .

The full programme will be on the RTE radio player later today (last segnment before the midday news).
    Obviously these people were enemies of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Obviously these people were enemies of Ireland.

Perhaps the rebels felt 'if your not with us your agin us'?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

ah yes, RTE commemorating the rising as only they can. Probably get uncle gay to do a eulogy on Captain Bowen-Colthurs after.

No I'm from a strong nationalist area and have actually never seen one worn in my life but there does be big ones up on telephone posts sometimes

I really find that hard to believe. Where do you live?
    Not one person in your life..

SPM1959 wrote: »
    I really find that hard to believe. Where do you live?
    Not one person in your life..

south derry, not that i have noticed anyway, maybe more popular in the cities

Oh those great brave patriot heros!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Can never understand the guilt attached to the 1916 rising, both America and France for example take great pride in commemorating their revolutions. None of this "oh but granny fanny never got her post when they captured the GPO" nonsense.

Do you reckon the American and French revolutions were without any tragedies and civilian deaths?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Oh those great brave patriot heros!:rolleyes:

Aye.. at least the Brits and unionists were well above shooting unarmed civilians /s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Andrew_Doran

Daniel O'Connell was a pacifist and was anti-violent. He even called off protests when asked to do so by Westminster (to avoid bloodshed) but he was still arrested & jailed regardless.

If a peaceful leader could be arrested then what chance did a peaceful route have?

Daniel O'Connell was imprisoned in 1844, a completely different time than 1916.

Change the numbers to 1944 and 2016 to visualise the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Scotborn76

Not origionally from Ireland but if I was asked to, out of respect for your history and to keep the peace, would do so.
    Hope thats ok.

wazky wrote: »
    Can never understand the guilt attached to the 1916 rising, both America and France for example take great pride in commemorating their revolutions. None of this "oh but granny fanny never got her post when they captured the GPO" nonsense.

Do you reckon the American and French revolutions were without any tragedies and civilian deaths?

That's the thing isn't it. This state only exists to support Northern Ireland's existence. Why else would there be a need to jail republicans for the past 90 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Pastor Toastman

....the British empire didnt give away countries because they were "too annoying" .

The age of empire was coming to an end. The "blood sacrifice" fantasists had to strike before they became completely irrelevant. You know, rekindle the hatred & the modern world be damned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement