Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company doctor wont leave me back to work

Options
  • 16-04-2014 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,
    looking for some advice please. brief outline, out of work for a few years with depression. Insurance comp has now refused to continue payments after two of their consultants said I was fit to work. I'm willing and confident enough to go back but company doc says i'm not. Says insurance consultants only say what insurance comp wants. No money coming into the house now for two
    months. Any advice on how to get back to work would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

thegatee wrote: »
    Hi all,
    looking for some advice please. brief outline, out of work for a few years with depression. Insurance comp has now refused to continue payments after two of their consultants said I was fit to work. I'm willing and confident enough to go back but company doc says i'm not. Says insurance consultants only say what insurance comp wants. No money coming into the house now for two
    months. Any advice on how to get back to work would be greatly appreciated.

What does your own GP say?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 thegatee

Only just came to a head today. my doc seems uninterested. didnt even bother to send a letter during appeals process

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Write to insurance company asking for their their appeals process. Tell them you're prepared to go legal if they ignore medical advice. You are (at least) entitled to an independent 3rd opinion.

Also, change your GP. If he s/he can't be bothered, why should you?

Ive been down that road. Next official step is to go to the ombudsman. My solicitor has told me that the ombudsman is toothless and just agrees in the main with insurance companys decision anyway. But i really do actually feel ready to return to work. Its just Im being stopped by the company doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, if you've been out for "a few years" then it's highly unlikely that the company has held the job open for you.

Would you consider just looking for another job elsewhere?

• Advertisement

They have been paying my vhi and i know during company briefins on numbers and the like that im acknowledged as an employee who is just out sick. There is a contractor currently in my position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

They have been paying my vhi and i know during company briefins on numbers and the like that im acknowledged as an employee who is just out sick. There is a contractor currently in my position.

From a health & safety perspective, your employer is in a jam, if they go against medical advice and let you return to work, and then you become ill again, they are in trouble. You need all Doctors to agree including your own, a different GP will not be familiar with your medical history and therefore is likely to refer you back to your GP (new GP will also be putting neck on the line if he/she certifies you ready to return, he/she will also be concerned as to why your existing GP, who is more informed of your illness, is refusing to certify you). You feel ready but you need the Doctors to agree, this is for your own health protection and for the company's liability protection.

Thanks for the clarity of tha answer davo. I think I was a bit naive to be honest. I got all the we will support you lines from my company. Now it takes weeks for answers and entering month three without wages. I will have to chase the GP and my own consultants I think. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Thanks for the clarity of tha answer davo. I think I was a bit naive to be honest. I got all the we will support you lines from my company. Now it takes weeks for answers and entering month three without wages. I will have to chase the GP and my own consultants I think. Thanks again.
    Take the doctors advice.
    He or she says you are too ill to work for this company.
    The insurance company says you are not too ill to work in general.
    Get a new job.
    After two years in fairness, that contractor deserves the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

...entering month three without wages. I will have to chase the GP and my own consultants I think. Thanks again.

Indeed. Your GP should be providing certificates that let you sign for Illness Benefit, if s/he does not think you are clear to work.

• Advertisement

Thanks again davo.
    My doctors have all agreed i am ok to return. Company are now talking in terms of a return date and I have been told by docs it will be a great help in my recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Best of luck with it.

Take it slowly - you're not going to be able it do it all at once - you'll need a bit of time to settle back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Just want to wish you all the best with the return.

Advertisement