Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Were going to overtime! Houston playing for the playoff lives, McHale for his job. Terrible layup miss by Lin there at the death. Bad mental mistake by Harden to take that dribble before calling time out, meaning they had to inbound in the backcourt.

The rookie Daniels(who I never heard of and had 2 DNP'S in the last 2 games) knocks down the 3 after a chaotic scramble where Rockets almost coughed up the ball. Rockets up 3, 11 seconds remaining

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Road warriors. Houston claw back a game. Rook hits the biggest shot of his life.

The Rockets stay alive, and it's another road win. Huge rebound from Pat Beverley on that final play by Portland.The birds are singing and the sun is up, I'm off to bed. The reality of being an irish nba fan and watching west coast playoff basketball.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Woohoo! What a ****ing win! Best performance of the season. Dunleavy, hasn't played many playoff games, but steps up, 8/10 from 3.

Loved Nene getting ejected....5/15 and 5 turnovers up to that point.

Jimmy hitting the clutch 3 at the end.

Sorry Chuck...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

padraig_f wrote: »
    Woohoo! What a ****ing win! Best performance of the season. Dunleavy, hasn't played many playoff games, but steps up, 8/10 from 3.

Loved Nene getting ejected....5/15 and 5 turnovers up to that point.

Jimmy hitting the clutch 3 at the end.

Sorry Chuck...

In fairness, if Nene wasn't stupid enough to get himself ejected we'd possibly be looking at that right now.

Wonder will he get a 1 game ban for the ejection? It would be very harsh and under the old David Stern "Let's fix it so the bigger media market team can win" rule he might have.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

It's great for the NBA that The Bulls and Rockets won last night. More Games, More viewers, More Money.

In fairness, if Nene wasn't stupid enough to get himself ejected we'd possibly be looking at that right now.

The Bulls were leading before that and Nene was 5-15 with 5 turnovers. He'd got a defensive stop on Noah earlier and starting showing him up, playing to the crowd. It was great karma.

And there's no 'if' because immaturity like that costs you in the playoffs. The Bulls held their cool in a tough atmosphere, the Wizards didn’t.
    Wonder will he get a 1 game ban for the ejection? It would be very harsh and under the old David Stern "Let's fix it so the bigger media market team can win" rule he might have.....

Not sure, but I don't think it would be harsh. He half head-butted Butler unprovoked and put him in a headlock. His punishment so far has been to miss the last 8 minutes of a game. The NBA has made a point of being harsh on players who instigate situations out of nothing. I think he'll get off lightly if he doesn't get a 1-game suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Massive win last night. First time Dunleavy had ever made more than 6 three pointers in a game, not a bad time to break that. Credit to Butler for keeping his composure after the clash with Nene and knocking down some big shots.

Hopefully Nene gets a suspension, but I'm not biased :pac: He was poor last night in any case, but if he does play the next game fingers crossed it's more that his shooting from distance is regressing to the norm as opposed to him just having an off night.

Interesting that Randy Wittman said it was his teams fault re: Noah v security guard also:
    Bulls C Joakim Noah got into a confrontation with a Wizards security official during the Bulls' shootaround Friday morning. Washington coach Randy Wittman said his team was to blame. "That's got to be something from our side that shouldn't happen," the coach said.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

How could you play for this cretin?

http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/racist-donald-sterling-girlfriend-v-stiviano-black-people-audio/227349
    Donald Sterling’s ugly racist side has been caught on tape, and the audio recording is not pretty.

According to TMZ, which received and posted the audio recording, Sterling was upset with his girlfriend V. Stiviano for posting a photo to Instagram of her with Magic Johnson on April 9.

Sterling, who has owned the Los Angeles Clippers since 1981, is heard asking Stiviano why she takes photos with minorities. He goes on to explain how he lives in a culture where there is a divide among races that he follows.

“It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you’re associating with black people,” Sterling is heard saying.

Some of his other disgusting comments include the following:

“You can sleep with [black people]. You can bring them in, you can do whatever you want. The little I ask you is not to promote it on that … and not to bring them to my games.

“I’m just saying, in your lousy f******* Instagrams, you don’t have to have yourself with, walking with black people.

“Don’t put him [Magic] on an Instagram for the world to have to see so they have to call me. And don’t bring [Magic Johnson] to my games.”

The irony, of course, is that Stiviano is Black and Mexican.

Sterling is a real estate mogul and has faced discipline and lawsuits from the Department of Justice over his alleged discrimination against Hispanics, Blacks and people with families when it came to renting out units. He also was sued by former Clippers GM Elgin Baylor for alleged discrimination. Baylor alleged that Sterling had a “plantation mentality.”

TMZ got a hold of Magic Johnson, who had this to say in response to Sterling:
    “It’s a shame that Donald Sterling feels that way about African-Americans,” Johnson said via TMZ. “He has a team full of amazing African-American basketball players that are working to bring a championship to Clippers fans. The Clippers also have a strong minority fan base.”

Sterling has also heckled his own players, which led to former Clippers point guard Baron Davis losing his love for the game.

• Advertisement

****ing hell.

Fox never fails to deliver. Downplaying racism while talking up the constitution and privacy laws.

This is probably fair from Doug Thonus:
    Will Nene get suspended?

For whatever reason, Nene decided he wanted to be Brendan Haywood/Kevin Garnett tough in this one and pick on a guy who's about 60-80 lbs lighter than he is. After Nene hits a layup he shoves Butler out of the way running back up the court. Then Butler gives him a much lighter push back with one hand just to say "I'm here".

Nene then turns around and goes head to head with Butler who doesn't back down. Both players stood their foreheads pressed together in moment where you know the "no punching" rule is flying through both their heads. Jimmy Butler appeared to be saying "let's go" to Nene, who then grabs Butler's head with one hand and then his other.

Butler for his part didn't really react much, a ref intercedes and Nene wound up like he was going to throw a punch which never happened. Nene was the instigator and escalator in this scuffle and was ejected for his douchery. I suspect he won't get suspended for a game because he got held back from throwing the punch, but the league will look at it, and I think there's a shot he will.

Butler would appear safe from any disciplinary action as his shove of Nene was light, with one hand, and the kind of thing that happens 100 times a game. Nene had all the real action after that. Starting, escalating once by going head to head, then escalating again by grabbing Butler with his hands. Still no punches thrown, my guess is he suits up next game but it could go either way.

I tend to agree, it's 50/50. If he is suspended, it will be for, as Thonus says, instigating and escalating a situation, which the NBA has been very hard on since the Malice at the Palace. This is why players get an automatic 1-game suspension for leaving the bench.

They clamp down hard on anyone that escalates things, because if they don't, players will take matters into their own hands (and Butler was very restrained not to react).

Paully D wrote: »

Listened to the TMZ audio. Disgraceful what this old racist prick said about Magic Johnson. He hates black people, What would guys like Doc Rivers, Chris Paul, Deandre Jordan think about this.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Fox never fails to deliver. Downplaying racism while talking up the constitution and privacy laws.

What did they say on fox. Post the video

How is this guy allowed to own a team? The guy is just scum. I remember when Baron Davis was on the Clippers used to occasionally turn up courtside at game and spout vitriol at him during games "I didn't even look forward to coming to the games, and if the owner [Donald Sterling] came to the game, I definitely was not gonna have a good game because it was just like, how do you play when the main heckler in the gym is the owner of the team, and he's telling you how much he hates you and calling out your name?"
    There are reams of things that he has said over the years that are just disgusting,
    Is she one of those black people that stink?" or when he asked his personal secretary(a woman btw) to find him a masseuse "who will, you know, let me put it in or who [will] suck on it."
    Donald Sterling is a terrible person who gets away with being a terrible person in an oh-so-image-conscious league for the simple reason that he owns a basketball team instead of plays for one.

What did they say on fox. Post the video

Look for one yourself.

Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo 27m
    NBA PR's Mike Bass on Donald Sterling: "We are in the process of conducting a full investigation into the audio recording obtained by TMZ.
    Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo 27m
    Mike Bass cont. "The remarks heard on the recording are disturbing and offensive, but at this time we have no further information."
    DeAndre Jordan ‏@deandrejordan 14m
    Just posted a photo http://instagram.com/p/nQr9tqPs3I/

Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo 3m
    NBA commissioner Adam Silver scheduled to arrive to Warriors-LAC Game 4 on Sunday just before tipoff and is not expected to speak to media.

Oh come on people, if this is the first time you've heard of this guy I'm amazed. Stories about him doing the rounds for years.

As to how could players play for an owner like that - seriously now lads stop the naivity - there are millions of reasons - start at a dollar for each one and increase according to your stardom.

I'm NOT for one second excusing the behaviour, but quit the holier than thou questioning of players. Doc, Paul and everyone else involved with the Clippers knew of the reputation before they signed - it's an open secret in the NBA.

Should he be allowed own a team? That's a different question.

To me, no.

But are the NBA going to buy him out or force him to sell? I'd be surprised if they do either. We'll get some wishy washy PR release and a tearful apology and it'll all be business as usual a few weeks later.

• Advertisement

Should he be allowed own a team? That's a different question.

To me, no.

But are the NBA going to buy him out or force him to sell? I'd be surprised if they do either. We'll get some wishy washy PR release and a tearful apology and it'll all be business as usual a few weeks later.

Couldn't he just sue the NBA for breach of franchise agreement?

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Couldn't he just sue the NBA for breach of franchise agreement?

I'd say I'd have a better chance of a threesome with Jennifer Lawrence and Emannuelle Beart tonight, in Dublin while my wife films it than the NBA forcing an owner to sell against his wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Nothing will happen to the owner. He'll pay his way out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

The Indiana Pacers Comedy roadshow up now....Hawk up by 1 halfway through the first.

CLIPPERS-BLACK-HISTORY-MONTH.jpg

Pacers shot 66.7 % in the 1Q, up 7.

Millsap straight up abusing the Pacers right now!

Millsap gone into full-on Beast Mode tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

might have been better off having this hot streak in the 2nd half, Pacers will hit back surely

Advertisement