Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2014

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Raptors defense has been excellent in the final quarter. 2 minutes to play, Raptors up 4.

Series leveled at 2-2. With the win, the Raptors earn its first road playoff victory in nearly 13 years. Wish I bothered my hole to attend the game now, damn football.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Good watch.

I see Kobe said he wouldn't play for Sterling earlier on. Conveniently forgetting to mention that he was extremely close to doing so back in 2004. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭BQQ

Yes!

Delighted for the Raptors.
    Big game from Amir Johnson.

Edit: Chandler parsons came to play tonight. 19 pts halfway through the 2nd quarter.

Paully D wrote: »
    Would he? Would Jordan do that to Bill Russell if he was sitting in the stands for example? No chance IMO.

Not exactly comparing like with like.

Bill Russell is a kindly old man who doesn't say anything negative about other players.
    Lebron has never been anything but complimentary to Jordan, but anytime Jordan comments on Lebron it's some kind of diss.

I think he's entitled to give him a look, if he even was looking at MJ and not the Bobcats bench in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

What can the NBA actually, Do they have the power to force an owner to sell his team?

A fine is pretty much all they can do. Or some meaningless suspension (as in he won't be allowed attend a few games or some crap like that).

Read an interesting article over the weekend (can't remember the author - prob. Grantland) which basically said if you force him to sell (which the league can't do to be clear) you're essentially rewarding him for his behaviour as he'll pocket around $2 billion. 2 BILLION, for a team he bought for 12.5 million.

So yeah, that'll work....

You can't win in this if you're a Clippers player. On one hand you have the silent protest last night, on the other, they're still takling their paychecks this week I suspect......

And as I keep saying, if any Clippers player or management comes out and claims they didn't know of his reputation or behaviour before this incident they are talking the same level of crap as Mike Brown does when he's coaching.

BQQ wrote: »
    ROFL.

82CZXb.jpg

That's just the kind of thing MJ would do himself.
    If it was a clip from the 90s and Jordan was staring at the opposition bench everyone would be wetting themselves. :rolleyes:

Oh Jordan could do the psychological BS with the best of them BUT this incident was not about that - as well you know. What LeBron did was a punk move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Woj reporting that Magic and a consortium stepping in and trying to purchase the Clippers.
    Magic Johnson and his partners want to buy Clippers, sources tell Y! NBA, Sterling have their exit strategy. Column: http://yhoo.it/1mQJNuf

A fine is pretty much all they can do. Or some meaningless suspension (as in he won't be allowed attend a few games or some crap like that).

Read an interesting article over the weekend (can't remember the author - prob. Grantland) which basically said if you force him to sell (which the league can't do to be clear) you're essentially rewarding him for his behaviour as he'll pocket around $2 billion. 2 BILLION, for a team he bought for 12.5 million.

You can't win in this if you're a Clippers player. On one hand you have the silent protest last night, on the other, they're still takling their paychecks this week I suspect......

And as I keep saying, if any Clippers player or management comes out and claims they didn't know of his reputation or behaviour before this incident they are talking the same level of crap as Mike Brown does when he's coaching.

Which is to say a huge amount of crap!

buyer95 wrote: »
    Woj reporting that Magic and a consortium stepping in and trying to purchase the Clippers.

Ah you see here's where I have a problem with Magic's holier than thou approach to this. Believe it or not I was genuinely going to post on this - as to Magic coming in and "saving" the League (whilst heavily funded from elsewhere). It's all about money folks - and Magic likes money. Ultimately the League can't force Sterling to sell, and I doubt he'll go cheaply even if he does eventually sell.

Was just reading Sports Illustrated there and again, filled with an incredible amount of BS with former players saying "I'd walk now if I was on the current roster" - extremely unlikely actually were it your job.

Even Doc is ducking for cover - which I'm disappointed with tbh - saying he hasn't asked for a meeting with Sterling nor will he be.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

So If the NBA can't do nothing about it, Whats the point of all this "He shouldn't be an owner anymore" talk. They can't actually do anything

So If the NBA can't do nothing about it, Whats the point of all this "He shouldn't be an owner anymore" talk. They can't actually do anything

That was kinda my point. It's unlikely (I say unlikely as you never know) anything will come of this save for an appearance on Oprah for Sterling, an apology, some tears etc. and then we move on. A lot of guys are using this to make hay, whilse the underlying issues (which deserve serious debate) are likely not being helped by this incident.

I can't see a sale coming, just can't see it. The NBA is too profitable a business to give up on. He may pass control onto a family member or something, but a sale is unlikely unless it's for ker-azy money.

Blazers are a really unlikable team.

What the hell is Mo Williams doing goading the Rockets bench after the game?
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I find the Blazers refreshing tbh. Not sure what's unlikable about them.

have to be honest haven't watched much of the Blazers this year or in this series, but surpised to hear them being referred to as unlikeable.

Mo Williams being unlikeable I get however.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

have to be honest haven't watched much of the Blazers this year or in this series, but surpised to hear them being referred to as unlikeable.

Mo Williams being unlikeable I get however.

Funny enough, I like the Rockets. Parson is a fine player, and "The Beard" has been super too. Howard, for most part has been terrfic, his major flaw however, has been the free throws. Far too many games Houston could have won if Howard knocked them in. I doubt McHale will be kept on if Houston loose the first round, he can't.

Whatever about Blazers, from a betting wise, them and Philly made me a lot of money at the beginning of the year. Ah abit of goading, no harm sure. Aldrige and Lillard are likeable though, as too Batum.

Not exactly comparing like with like.

Bill Russell is a kindly old man who doesn't say anything negative about other players.
    Lebron has never been anything but complimentary to Jordan, but anytime Jordan comments on Lebron it's some kind of diss.

I think he's entitled to give him a look, if he even was looking at MJ and not the Bobcats bench in general.

Ya, Jordan has some ego. We get it, we know that he was great. To be fair, he remembers his team mates like Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman, and Charles Oakley (from his early days), but could he tone it down abit? His Hall of Fame Speech was an fine example of the kind of guy he is. Then again, fair play for having the balls to give an honest answer when asked about things.

As for Russell, ha, ever hear stories from Kenny Smith about Russell's time as coach of Sacremento. Ha, hilarious.Sure, Bill had his moments too. Whether he was joking or not, Bill, near the end of his playing career, was asked by Lakers to come and play for them (Wilt was still playing) more of less his response was how would Wilt feel being on the bench. Both Russ and Wilt were up in arms during the 1990's about Rodman being the best rebounder of all time, Russ pointing out that Wilt and him would have 25-30 by half time.

Sick of this Donald Sterling talk. The second question Steph Curry was asked in his post game interview was about that incident - 'How has it effected your team?'

:rolleyes: I'd say they don't give two ****es

Makes it worse, GSW coach, Jackson, stated that he would never work for Sterling, as if he would even get such a role, he needs to worry about his security in his current tenure, as the owners want championships now.

De Andre Jordan stated that they had a "silent protest". hmmm, throwing the game, perhaps? (obviously not, the more games, the more games in LA, more games in LA, more seats, more seats , more money for Sterling)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Myla Shallow Sunblock

Ya, Jordan has some ego. We get it, we know that he was great. To be fair, he remembers his team mates like Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman, and Charles Oakley (from his early days), but could he tone it down abit? His Hall of Fame Speech was an fine example of the kind of guy he is. Then again, fair play for having the balls to give an honest answer when asked about things.

As for Russell, ha, ever hear stories from Kenny Smith about Russell's time as coach of Sacremento. Ha, hilarious.Sure, Bill had his moments too. Whether he was joking or not, Bill, near the end of his playing career, was asked by Lakers to come and play for them (Wilt was still playing) more of less his response was how would Wilt feel being on the bench. Both Russ and Wilt were up in arms during the 1990's about Rodman being the best rebounder of all time, Russ pointing out that Wilt and him would have 25-30 by half time.

again though they was against players you where playing against not against a guy long retired i think thats the key you can trash talk your generation all you want but leave other generations alone

BmQFxDMCAAI9Qni.jpg

Ah, the San Francisco area, South Park were right, they are a bunch of smug tossers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Myla Shallow Sunblock

Ah, the San Francisco area, South Park were right, they are a bunch of smug tossers.

come on thats hilarious i dont see how it could be perceived as smug at all tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Funny enough, I like the Rockets. Parson is a fine player, and "The Beard" has been super too. Howard, for most part has been terrfic, his major flaw however, has been the free throws. Far too many games Houston could have won if Howard knocked them in. I doubt McHale will be kept on if Houston loose the first round, he can't.

Whatever about Blazers, from a betting wise, them and Philly made me a lot of money at the beginning of the year. Ah abit of goading, no harm sure. Aldrige and Lillard are likeable though, as too Batum.

Harden should be absolutely crucified for his completely lack of interest and effort on the defensive side of the ball. The Rockets' three losses in this series have been by a combined 11 points. If Harden was willing to expend even a tiny bit of effort on defense, I think the Rockets would have had a great shout of taking those games.

A good stat (from red94.net):
    Out of 160 players who have played at least 50 games and at least 25 minutes per game, James Harden ranks 159th in distance traveled per 48 minutes at 2.9 miles.

It is reported that Howard has spent a lot of time practicing his free throws, trying to get better at it, and apparently he shoots 80% from the line in practice, just for whatever reason it doesn't happen for him in games. But hey, at least the man has made an effort I suppose. The same cannot be said for Harden on D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Harden should be absolutely crucified for his completely lack of interest and effort on the defensive side of the ball. The Rockets' three losses in this series have been by a combined 11 points. If Harden was willing to expend even a tiny bit of effort on defense, I think the Rockets would have had a great shout of taking those games.

A good stat (from red94.net):

It is reported that Howard has spent a lot of time practicing his free throws, trying to get better at it, and apparently he shoots 80% from the line in practice, just for whatever reason it doesn't happen for him in games. But hey, at least the man has made an effort I suppose. The same cannot be said for Harden on D.
    James+Harden+Creepy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Yeah, speaking of unlikability, I find it hard to take to Harden. What annoys me most about watching him is how often he seems to be playing for the foul rather than trying to make the shot. Refs gave him some calls, but in crunch time weren't giving anything soft, and he couldn't get it done. Howard hasn't been a big favourite of mine, but he did his part last night, got some big blocks and made his free throws down the stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Thonus nails it as usual: Can the NBA please suspend Boozer for that flagrant foul?

And as he says in the comments, the most damning part is not physical limitations or whatever, but all the lazy stuff he does...lazy fouls, lazy turnovers, lazy defense.

I'm deflated after the loss, but still proud of the efforts of the players (the rest of them anyway).

Bottom line, there's a talent deficit...with Rose not playing, with Deng on the Cavs, and Boozer underperforming his big contact. That's $47m in salary (Rose $17m, Boozer $16m, Deng $14m), when the salary cap is $59m, and what you get for it is Boozer's production. So it's just too much to make up for the rest of the players.

Seems impossible to get back in the series now, but I still want to see them to win in Chicago and make the Wizards earn it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I thought it was a common foul. It wasn't excessive force, he just moved Gortat over the baseline to prevent the easy layup. Go to the the line for 2 and get on with the game.

Black Mamba has spoken.
    No. He should not continue owning the clippers. #nochance #noway #nohow

I thought it was amusing, as did most people I know.

Paully is bang on the money, re: Harden too.

Lin can be utterly frustrating tunover wise especially, also defensively, but at least he shows some effort at the defensive end. Harden on the other hand lives and dies at the free throw line, not much else. His game has not come on much over the past 2 seasons since leaving OKC for the money.

Just breaking Stateside, CarMax and State Farm are pulling their sponsorships of the Los Angeles Clippers. NO MORE STUPID CLIFF PAUL COMMERCIALS! \o/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Lucky they have Steph Curry on board so!

Advertisement