Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Lirange wrote: »
    If I were a Bulls fan I wouldn't want Carmelo. He's a huge talent and can address their offensive issues. However, he doesn't have it between the ears and lacks the intangibles of a winner. They'd probably win more games during the season but I wouldn't trust him down the stretch in crunch time in the playoffs against quality competition.

To busy to formulate a proper reply to this, but Melo to the Bulls would instantly make them favourites for the East next year. Crazy busy atm, this time tomorrow I'll write a proper riposte.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Lirange wrote: »
    If I were a Bulls fan I wouldn't want Carmelo. He's a huge talent and can address their offensive issues. However, he doesn't have it between the ears and lacks the intangibles of a winner. They'd probably win more games during the season but I wouldn't trust him down the stretch in crunch time in the playoffs against quality competition.

I like him, but I know he's a divisive figure and a lot of others don't. I do think there would be something of a risk to getting him, but I think it's a risk you have to take. 1 out of 30 teams win the championship, so you can't be conservative in your moves if you want to win one. You have to shoot for the stars. Melo represents the best chance I think to do that. It may not work out, but if it did, the ceiling would be high.

I was thinking about why the Bulls beat the Nets in the first round last year and failed to beat the Wizards this year. And the one thing I could think of was....Nate Robinson. Nate isn't an elite scorer by any stretch, but he could create his own shot with relative efficiency, and that's so valuable in the playoffs.

buyer95 referenced Bill Simmons saying how LaMarcus Aldridge was underrated with his long twos. And I think Melo's a bit the same. The advanced stats guys don't like him that much because he takes those mid-range 2s, and they say 3s and shots at the rim are more efficient. But I think looking at FG% and TS% is a bit too narrrow. In the playoffs when teams take away the 3s and the shots at the rim, those relatively high-percentage 2s that a player can create themselves are very valuable.

I just think he'd be a great fit for the Bulls as well. We saw at the end of games in this playoffs how tired the Bulls players were trying to create offense, because they had to work so hard for it, making cuts, running off screens etc. I think some of the Bulls players would love a breather on offense, and let Melo go to work.

It would take the pressure off Rose as well, play him off the ball a bit more, would reduce the chances of another injury. There's a risk there, it would change the dynamic of the team, but it's a risk I'd take.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

padraig_f wrote: »
    I like him, but I know he's a divisive figure and a lot of others don't. I do think there would be something of a risk to getting him, but I think it's a risk you have to take. 1 out of 30 teams win the championship, so you can't be conservative in your moves if you want to win one. You have to shoot for the stars. Melo represents the best chance I think to do that. It may not work out, but if it did, the ceiling would be high.

I was thinking about why the Bulls beat the Nets in the first round last year and failed to beat the Wizards this year. And the one thing I could think of was....Nate Robinson. Nate isn't an elite scorer by any stretch, but he could create his own shot with relative efficiency, and that's so valuable in the playoffs.

buyer95 referenced Bill Simmons saying how LaMarcus Aldridge was underrated with his long twos. And I think Melo's a bit the same. The advanced stats guys don't like him that much because he takes those mid-range 2s, and they say 3s and shots at the rim are more efficient. But I think looking at FG% and TS% is a bit too narrrow. In the playoffs when teams take away the 3s and the shots at the rim, those relatively high-percentage 2s that a player can create themselves are very valuable.

I just think he'd be a great fit for the Bulls as well. We saw at the end of games in this playoffs how tired the Bulls players were trying to create offense, because they had to work so hard for it, making cuts, running off screens etc. I think some of the Bulls players would love a breather on offense, and let Melo go to work.

It would take the pressure off Rose as well, play him off the ball a bit more, would reduce the chances of another injury. There's a risk there, it would change the dynamic of the team, but it's a risk I'd take.

Excellent post. I'd certainly be for the move too. Being a great defensive team is all well and good, but scoring 90 points per game just isn't going to get it done in the playoffs.

I don't think Melo will pass up the extra money he would make in New York though, unfortunately. I'm also not enthused by our front office when it comes to this as it's a fact that we traditionally don't tend to do much in free agency. Wallace and Boozer probably the biggest free agents we have signed in God knows how long and both didn't work out. If Melo does join, Reinsdorf hates paying the luxury tax, which he would probably need to do to keep a squad capable of competing for the title together, will it be a matter of getting Melo in but then messing up any chances we have by gutting the bench to compensate for his cost? Look at the tax bills for the Champions since 2003:

363fdce7ab4ed3c6881fba53c9d90462.png

There was no tax in 2005, and Miami won it in 2006 with Wade on a rookie deal playing like a superstar. Every other time though at least some money has been paid. Since 2008, it's been the type of money that Reinsdorf would baulk at.

I agree with you completely though, I'd love to get him. If it does happen though Reinsdorf needs to bite the bullet, start paying a decent bit of tax money, and keep a capable squad around Rose/Melo/Noah.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Kyle lowry having a great first half , de rozan not so much

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

If the Spurs got this Manu in last years Finals… (or a 100% fit Parker!) sigh.

• Advertisement

Think it's safe to say that it's game with a quarter left and a bit remaining.

Dirk is doing Dirk things in the fourth!

Raptors are superb tonight, lowry is just unplayable

Bmg4WuTCYAA4H1P.jpg:large

Burn.

Spurs lead the Mavs 3-2 in the series.

Do or die for Houston coming up now.

• Advertisement

What the hell are the Raptors up too.. o_0

22 point lead is down to 8 with 5 minutes left...................

Epic choking going on in Toronto!

Wtf is going on here:eek:

joe johnson is on fcuking fire

Lowry upping is payday with some clutch baskets. Raptors up 3 with 27 seconds left, Nets ball.

What a tool..

Derozan must be up there with the best at free throws

Oh dear.

Well, that was fun for anyone on Raptors -3 pre-game, eejits.

Raptors win, 3-2 up

3-2 raptors, should never have been so close though, 22 pts up going into the 4th and win by 2, shouldnt happen

Houston survive for another day. Blazers lead the series 3-2 now heading back to Portland.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 The Answer

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Oh dear.

Well, that was fun for anyone on Raptors -3 pre-game, eejits.

Raptors win, 3-2 up

Ade, I fell asleep when they were up 26. :( That's a sickener, but sure, you were due an average night eventually. Chin up!

The Answer wrote: »
    Ade, I fell asleep when they were up 26. :( That's a sickener, but sure, you were due an average night eventually. Chin up!

No amount of research can predict such implosions. New updated record I Tweeted earlier yesterday incase you missed it.

• Advertisement

BmjqLKlCIAMxdzf.jpg

Facepalm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

[/IMG]

Facepalm.

Ungrateful bastids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Funny , footy it's all the managers fault , here its the players fault . As wqs said if Durant is unreliable what is brooks ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Wow. Thunder wouldn't be sh1t with KD. I doubt they'ed even make the playoffs

Do or die for OKC, Warriors and Pacers tonight, you could say the same for each team's head coaches future as well if they fail to take their teams to a Game 7.

There is not one team in tonights games i would be confidant of winning, all 3 are hard to call tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Mr. Unreliable

Facepalm.

KD and Westbrook's reaction to this

http://watch.nba.com/nba/video/channels/playoffs/2014/05/01/20140501-durant-on-reliable.nba

Russ hit the nail on the head saying that last week they were calling him MVP and now it's Mr. Unreliable just like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Small town newspaper trying to get some attention by writing something controversial. Of course, even though it's stupid, it works.

I liked Durant's reaction though... "Coming from my paper back at home, that’s what they’re supposed to write. I didn’t come through for the team."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

buyer95 wrote: »
    To busy to formulate a proper reply to this, but Melo to the Bulls would instantly make them favourites for the East next year. Crazy busy atm, this time tomorrow I'll write a proper riposte.

Ok, finally checking back in with basketball, after a hectic 4 days. (College exams, last minute cramming.)

On Melo going to the Bulls, it would be a crushing blow as a Knicks fan. The Knicks traded away 4 rotation guys and a first rounder to get him, and to see him walking would be difficult to take. I for one am a big fan of Melo's game, he is without doubt one of the most gifted offensive player in the game. The legend that is Oscar Robertson recently shared his thoughts on Melo saying this. When Robertson, one of the great offensive players of all time says that he holds Melo in such high esteem, I think we should all sit up and take notice.

“No matter what he does in New York they’re going to criticize him, the people are going to criticize him, because you got guys on (the Knicks) that cannot play. You got guys that are hurt all the time.

You look at LeBron (James), LeBron’s got a great game and the kid down at Oklahoma, (Kevin) Durant’s got a great game — they can’t outshoot Carmelo. ... I’ve seen him in a lot of basketball games over the years and I’m telling you right now the kid, he just can get that shot away. Now he’s gotten smarter, he’s going to the basket a lot. But what gets me is that everyone thinks that everything that happens bad is his fault.”

Melo would be a great fit for the Bulls. Sure he does not excell defensively, but Chicago systems is team based, and I firmly believe that Thibs could get Melo playing at least passable defense. D.J friggin Augustin has played huge minutes at the point, a guy who is basically an albatross on the defensive end for God sake! The Bulls would be able to retain their defensive mindset with Melo. Woodie a so called defensive coach switched everything in New York which meant guys got lazy and continually passed the buck. That would not happen in Chicago.

Melo would be a game changer on the offensive end. He is the consumate scorer, and was dominant throughout the season, second in scoring only to likely MVP K.D. . Anthony carried a Knicks team that, at times, was completely inept offensively. Woodie is one of many proponents of the fabbled "clogged toilet" offense of which Scottie Brooks and Vogel are also honourary member(head nod to McHale here too.) The ball ended up in Anthony hands time and time again at the end of the shot clock as Felton point play caused the offensive to grind to a hault. Melo was forced as a result to try and be a one man offense and this meant he had no choice but to take bad shots at the of the clock. This season will be looked upon as a failure but it’s not because of Anthony’s lack of trying. He worked and worked until the Knicks were statistically eliminated. He put up close to 28 points a night, being the focus of every teams defensive plan, with every team knowing that he was likely to be the only real offensive threat. He also grabbed 8.1 rebounds a game, showing great hustle in that area throughout the season.

The Bulls had a very good season, with Thibs being as masterful as ever, but in the playoffs you need someone who can score consistently. Melo gives you that, he is someone you can go to when you really need a basket, a person who the Bulls have lacked in the playoffs. They did it by committee well during the season, but the playoffs is a different animal, in that defensive effort and intensity ratchet up. Melo can get to the ring easily with his strength advantage on most defenders, and has shot the three exceptionally well this season(40%) He also shoots the long two's at a good clip, shots which the metric guys turn away in horror at, but as Aldridge has proven, it is a look that is open in the playoffs. Defenses clamp down on open 3's and easy 2's, but they still leave guys open from the midrange.

Melo is a winner(although certain people would tell you otherwise), and has proven that in the past at Syracuse under Jim Boeheim. If Thibs sticks around I believe he could elevate Melo game to even greater heights. I honestly feel he is both misunderstood and underapreciated. Misunderstood in the sense that it is often said that he doesn't seem particularly bothered by losing pointing to him often smiling during and after games in which the knicks are getting soundly beaten. Chris Herring who is a Knicks beat writer(an excellent one at that, wel worth the follow on twitter for the links he posts to his articles,) has written about this in the past. He believes, as I do that smiling for him after a loss is a way of deflecting attention and a coping mechanism. The losing affected Melo probably more so than any of the players. When you have douchebags like JR Smith on your team who is the definition of a mercenary it has to be tough. What I'm getting at is don't be fooled by his outward demeanour into thinking that he doesn't particularly care about winning that much. Melo cares. And Melo would be a fantastic fit for the Bulls, especially if Rose can return and even be 80% the player that he was. As Padraig f pointed out, Rose could play off the ball a bit, not heaping so much pressure on him on the offensive end.

In saying all that I would be crushed if he did leave New York this summer.
    PS: He could end up in Houston. Now that would be interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

BREAKING: Frank Vogel blatantly trying to get fired.

BmlTbwvCYAAQM7z.jpg

Advertisement