Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2014

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

CHOKE!

16.7 left and it's a 1 point game!

Brooklyn ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

C'mon Raptors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Raptors ball!! 6 seconds left. Down by 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

Pierce's block wins it for the Nets!

• Advertisement

Nets win it, what a finish that was

The Truth prevails. Brooklyn win and face Miami.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Damn unlucky Toronto! Pierce in the right place there

• Registered Users Posts: 15 gendrol75

Sigh ... just came up short. Fantastic fourth quarter though. Best of luck Nets against Miami.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Missed the game as my internet is refusing to do any streaming tonight. Seen a stat on Twitter though, cumulative score over the 8 games - Nets 1,070 points/Raptors 1,070 points. You literally couldn't get a closer series.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    Missed the game as my internet is refusing to do any streaming tonight. Seen a stat on Twitter though, cumulative score over the 8 games - Nets 1,070 points/Raptors 1,070 points. You literally couldn't get a closer series.

Fitting that it went down to the last possession, fantastic series to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Exciting finish in Toronto, would've been nice to see the Raptors win a series, but I think the Nets will give Miami a better test in the next round.

Last shot looked a bit too predictable what they were gonna do, but Lowry's been a great player for them this season.

DeRozan had the flu, Casey says in the post-game presser.

Spurs Big 3 are killing the Mavs right now.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    DeRozan had the flu, Casey says in the post-game presser.

18 points and 6 assists with the flu?? Jesus, that is some effort

Spurs win 119-96

Round 2 is now set:

East:
    Wizards-Pacers - Game 1: Monday at Midnight/7 EST on TNT
    Nets-Heat - Game 1: Tuesday at Midnight/7 EST on TNT

West:
    Blazers-Spurs - Game 1: Tuesday at 2.30 a.m./9.30 EST on TNT
    Clippers-Thunder - Game 1: Monday at 2.30 a.m./9.30 p.m. EST on TNT

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I think Nets/Heat could be a very close series. Allot depends on the fitness of key players. If Pierce and KG play to a level that they can, Brooklyn could run them close, maybe win the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Fcuk it, was out last night, just realised raptors are gone:(

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I think Nets/Heat could be a very close series. Allot depends on the fitness of key players. If Pierce and KG play to a level that they can, Brooklyn could run them close, maybe win the series.

The main intangible for me in this series will be the refs. The Nets have the edge in regular season play and present horrible matchups for the Heat all over the floor. Throw in the Ex-Celtics' hatred of the Heat and it could get chippy too. The NBA however (I assume) would prefer the Heat story to continue….so expect Joey Crawford to be at the helm for some big games (esp. in Miami if the Heat are facing elimination) - read into that what you may. :roll eyes:

If it's a fair fight, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Nets win.

• Advertisement

My Predictions for Round 2:

East:

Heat-Nets - 4-2 Heat win - The Nets are the only team to sweep the Heat 4-0 in the season (the Heat were pretty much going through the motions for most of the season) but playoff basketball is a different story. It'll be interesting to see how close this series really is but I think the Heat are just too good for the Nets

Wizards-Pacers - 4-3 Wizards - Heart say Wizards, head says Pacers. This will be a closer series than what it looks like and I honestly think we could get a Game 7. Pacers are still struggling as a team while the Wizards closed the Bulls out early. Pacers showed signs of what they can do in Game 7 vs. ATL (Hawks just chucked up shots for fun though) but Game 1 will be interesting to see how the Wizards play after the break they've had.

West:

Spurs-Blazers - 4-1 Spurs - Blazers will pick up a win but I think the Spurs will be too good for the Blazers in this series.

Thunder-Clippers - 4-2 Thunder - The closer of the 2 series out West imo. Clippers seems to be rejuvenated after the Sterling fiasco ended while the Thunder struggled against the Grizz. I just think the Thunder has enough to take the series but it'll be close

You really are one for making brave calls.

Regular season games aren't defining like you were making out for the first three months, but it's not like the Nets - Miami regular season series was close or Nets won any of the games let alone the series. Oh wait..

Looking forward to tonight. See one of the dogs winning straight up.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Indiana Pacers vs. Atlanta Hawks [4 - 3] Indiana to scrape through. Called that one pretty well!
    Miami Heat vs. Charlotte Bobcats [4 - 1] Heat ultimately too strong though it will be closer than 4-1 suggests Thought Charlotte might steal a game but alas, no.
    Toronto Raptors vs. Brooklyn Nets [3 - 4] Experience will count in this one despite valiant effort from Toronto. Bang on.
    Chicago Bulls vs. Washington Wizards [4 - 1] Bulls FAR too strong for the Wiz. Ignore regular season head to head (which the Wiz won) - this is playoff basketball and it's a different game. Hands up, I did not see this coming.

West Playoff Matchups:

San Antonio Spurs vs. Dallas Mavericks [4 - 0] Spurs machine goes on and on and on......Genuinely surprised how well Dallas played at times. Right victor, wrong scoreline
    Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Memphis Grizzlies [4 - 1] Think Memphis will win one game, maye even too, but OKC too quick and too good to lose over a series. Right victor, wrong scoreline.
    Los Angeles Clippers vs. Golden State Warriors [4 - 1] Bogut out changes this all ends up. Clips to steam roll them :(Shame for the Warriors as losing Bogut really cost them against the Clipps bigs. Right victor, wrong scoreline.
    Houston Rockets vs. Portland Trailblazers [4 - 3] Toughest one to call in many regards (hence calling it 4-3 to hoem team) but this could easily go either way. Always said this was a coin toss.

Most likely upset? Atlanta over Indiana.

Comments in blue. In fairness, I think this has been the best/closest 1st round in NBA history. I called 6 out of 8 victors correctly, but with just 2 exact results.

Series odds..
    Pacers -185 vs Wizards +160
    Thunder -200 vs Clippers +170
    Heat -500 vs Nets +390
    Spurs -365 vs Blazers +295

I guess roughly translates to:
    Pacers in 7
    Thunder in 7
    Heat in 5
    Spurs in 6

I bet so much on the Wizards yesterday, I should probably find a 'Wizards fan' tag for my sig.

My Round 1 recap
    East Playoff Matchups:

Indiana Pacers vs. Atlanta Hawks - 4 - 2 Pacers win - Despite their troubles, the Pacers should have enough to dispatch of the Hawks - Right team and 1 game out
    Miami Heat vs. Charlotte Bobcats - 4 - 1 Heat win - Bobcats will win a game, Heat will win the series - Right team, felt kind on Charlotte giving them a game
    Toronto Raptors vs. Brooklyn Nets - 3 - 4 Nets - The toughest game in the East to call. I really want the Raptors to win but I'm going with experience and a Nets win in 7 - Called it!
    Chicago Bulls vs. Washington Wizards - 4 - 3 Bulls - Another game I can see going to a game 7. Bulls should win this but I'm not counting out the Wizards - Did not see this coming at all

West Playoff Matchups:

San Antonio Spurs vs. Dallas Mavericks - 4 - 0 - Spurs blowout the Mavs.... next! - Yeah......... Right team won it but way off on the series count, apologies to the Mavs
    Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Memphis Grizzlies - 4 - 0 - Can't see nothing but a Thunder win here - look up and replace Mavs with Grizz
    Los Angeles Clippers vs. Golden State Warriors - 4 - 2 - Clippers win in 6. Bogut out is a massive loss to the Warriors - Right team, a game out
    Houston Rockets vs. Portland Trailblazers - 4 - 3 - The tie of the 1st rounders. A 50/50 contest but I'm going with the Rockets getting it in 7 - Wrong team, right games

Hit and miss selection :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

East Playoff Matchups:

Indiana Pacers vs. Atlanta Hawks [4 - 2]
    Miami Heat vs. Charlotte Bobcats [2- 4] cause why the feck not?
    Toronto Raptors vs. Brooklyn Nets [4 - 2]
    Chicago Bulls vs. Washington Wizards [4 - 1]

West Playoff Matchups:

San Antonio Spurs vs. Dallas Mavericks [4 - 2]
    Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Memphis Grizzlies [4 - 1]
    Los Angeles Clippers vs. Golden State Warriors [4 - 0]
    Houston Rockets vs. Portland Trailblazers [3 - 4]

Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Semi final predictions:

East:

Pacers 4-2 Wizards. A lot depending on the Pacers carrying their form from Game 7 from the Hawks series, but if they do, they'll protect home court and steal one on the road.

Nets 2-4 Heat. The Nets will cause the Heat problems, but not enough.

West:

Trail Blazers 1-4 Spurs. I think the Spurs will take it to another level in this series.

Clippers 3-4 OKC. KD+Russ > CP3+Blake. Simple as.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Indiana Pacers vs. Atlanta Hawks (4-2)

Despite their struggles over the past couple of months, can't look past the Pacers. Historically, the Pacers have struggled against the Hawks, especially so in Atlanta. So I can see it playing out like their match up last year.

Miami Heat vs. Charlotte Bobcats (4-1)

Big Al has given Miami fits all season, he's undoubtedly the key to this extending to more than a clean sweep against the Bobcats. I think as a whole, the Bobcats while inexperienced won't find the half court game of playoff basketball too much of an issue compared to some of the other fresh faces this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Charlotte win a couple of games given Miami's injury issues and form (there has been some tanking in there in the last few games I know that) being a bit all over the place this season, especially that of the role players it seems. One thing I've noticed when watching Charlotte games is their lack of 3 ball options. When they are cold, they're ice cold. This needs to be addressed in the off season.

Toronto Raptors vs. Brooklyn Nets (3-4)

This is hard to call. Brooklyn has been damn impressive since the turn of the year. Their style of play is geared for the playoffs, and all that experience in their line up is massive, even if Kidd as a coach lacks it. I can see this going to seven games if I'm honest, and if it does, it's a coin toss, but Brooklyn after last year's shambles MUST step up a few notches from that.

Chicago Bulls vs. Washington Wizards (4-2)

Personal wise, this is a bad match up for the Bulls, but Noah looks like a man on a mission and with Thibs, you have one of the elite coaches in the game today. Like with the other three games in the east, as a fan, I'll be rooting for the dogs at any rate.

San Antonio Spurs vs. Dallas Mavericks (4-0)

Love you Dirk, but I can't see this going more than 5 games. Not a good match up for the Mavs whatsoever. At least we get to see Dirk vs. Duncan in a playoff series one perhaps final time.

Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Memphis Grizzlies (4-1)

Revenge spot. Westbrook plays this time around.

Memphis are in form though.

Los Angeles Clippers vs. Golden State Warriors (4-2)

Bogut's injury is + The son of a preacher man's idiocy vs Doc Rivers experience, Griffin playing in the form of his life and CP3 will surely show up this time around.. surely(!), I'm no Clippers fan, but I can't see past the them. The Splash Bros will have to go supernova throughout the series to stand a chance I feel.

Houston Rockets vs. Portland Trailblazers (4-3)

I feel this is by far the hardest game to call I must admit. Genuine coin flip.

Only got the Nets series win entirely right, but sure, it's all about the wallet for me.

• Advertisement

Indiana Pacers vs. Washington Wizards (4-0, surely, SURELY?! .... 3-4)

I say this more in hope than expectation admittedly. Given some people's bitterness throughout the past 8 or so months, a Wizards sweep will be more than ideal, but not realistic. Ariza vs George should be a fun battle as Ariza has done a job on George before and can hang with him defensively at least. Like in Chicago, Washington will need to win one of the opening two games. If they don't, I'd worry for them. For a new team (context) and young team, not sure if the 5 day rest will be truly beneficial. Could see some rust, but hopefully not.

Miami Heat vs. Brooklyn Nets (4-2)

I don't stress about the regular season games too much, and for those who do, their games were fiercely contested for the most part, even if the Nets swept them. They were fortunate Big Al went down in Game 1 and played in pain for the rest of the Charlotte series, but I think Miami turn it up another notch now though. If D-Will wakes up, it could go to a Game 7. He was a black hole for Brooklny except for one, maybe two games against the Raptors.

San Antonio Spurs vs. Portland Trail Blazers (4-3)

Duncan is going to have his hands full in this one. I remember watching pretty much all of this series during the regular season and I was so impressed with the Blazers.

Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Los Angeles Clippers (4-1)

I probably accounted for the revenge factor a bit too much against the Grizz, but I genuinely believe OKC will win this comfortably. Matt Barnes on KD? :pac: Westbrook is CP3's nightmare, couple that with his hamstring injury and well, it doesn't look good. Ibaka vs. Griffin will be fascinating as always. The X Factor here is DeAndre Jordan though. Clippers had free will in the paint against Golden State. Say what you will about Perkins, but him and Adams, they'll actually protect it.

Advertisement