Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2014

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Side note, it's kinda nice not having basketball last night and tonight. Good to have a breather :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Well lads, how I have missed ye! I bet ye thought I had died! I'm just back from 2 weeks in the Gaeltacht, were wifi and 3g were both non existent. I've been kept the loop by a friend who has been texting me the results, but I have seen zero of the actual action since the late first round. I have about 15 games sky-plussed, and I'm going to go look at some now and get up to speed with things again. Just looking at the match ups, I'm genuinely surprised that the Pacers have made it to the conference finals. Seeing them over the last 2 months of the season, and the first round of the playoffs made it seem impossible that they could make it. In any case, I feel very strongly that the winner will come out of the west, and if I was pushed I would give the nod to the spurs, barring any injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Side note, it's kinda nice not having basketball last night and tonight. Good to have a breather :pac:

Feck that. Midnight was approaching and I realised I had no games to watch. Not a nice feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

buyer95 wrote: »
    Well lads, how I have missed ye! I bet ye thought I had died! I'm just back from 2 weeks in the Gaeltacht, were wifi and 3g were both non existent. I've been kept the loop by a friend who has been texting me the results, but I have seen zero of the actual action since the late first round. I have about 15 games sky-plussed, and I'm going to go look at some now and get up to speed with things again. Just looking at the match ups, I'm genuinely surprised that the Pacers have made it to the conference finals. Seeing them over the last 2 months of the season, and the first round of the playoffs made it seem impossible that they could make it. In any case, I feel very strongly that the winner will come out of the west, and if I was pushed I would give the nod to the spurs, barring any injuries.

Your timing was good. The 2nd round was poor. By far the best series was Thunder-Clippers, but that was marred by controversy in game 5. I think the Thunder had the better overall talent, but had the Clippers won that game, it was at least going 7.

BT better be showing game 1 of the eastern conference finals tomorrow night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

buyer95 wrote: »
    BT better be showing game 1 of the eastern conference finals tomorrow night.

It's on the schedule on my Sky anyways:

BT Sport 2 -
    8 pm NBA Countdown
    8.30 pm Live Heat@Pacers

Feck that. Midnight was approaching and I realised I had no games to watch. Not a nice feeling.

Dude, the girlfriend will disagree with you (though she's been preoccupied by her uni finals and what not lately) :pac: I know it's been discussed quite a bit and is not for this thread, but I'd like to see a new format to the regular season. The current one is frankly ridiculous with the amount of games and travelling done, and for me personally, betting and watching the amount of games I do is disturbing :D

It's on the schedule on my Sky anyways:

BT Sport 2 -
    8 pm NBA Countdown
    8.30 pm Live Heat@Pacers

Has Sky Sports not taken it up at all this year?

Has Sky Sports not taken it up at all this year?

Nope, BT got the complete rights to it for the next few years. Tbh, while they've been a pain not showing most of the playoffs, we get stuff like TNT's halftime show and NBA Countdown, which is great as Sky did their own studio stuff instead of it

Really looking forward to tonight now

• Advertisement

Delighted it's an early game, and that we get NBA countdown with Simmons, Rose and Doug Collins. I see Mark Jackson has returned to espn also(I'm sure Ade will be delighted to hear that) and could be working tonights game. Can't see past a heat win.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

I think you've answered your own question, mate. They can just stroll throughout the regular season when playing in the East. Sure, they more or less gave up the top seed back in February, but for the Pacers spectacular implosion post All Star break they nearly found themselves top seed without playing anywhere near top gear all season except for handful of games I'd suggest.

I think for this reason playing a big impact, we might never see LeBron ever play in the West unfortunately. His body doesn't have to be pushed all too much and can be saved for the Playoffs. Sure, there's less defensive teams which would suit Miami down to the ground when it comes to their transition basketball, but there's a better level of talent out West undoubtedly.
    This is the possibility of a head-to-head matchup between probably the world's best player LeBron and the next young superstar, Paul George. Indiana last season surprised everyone by pushing the Heat to the brink before faltering as the Heat took a second straight crown. Miami might not have the defensive reputation of the Pacers, but they've played well enough so far and should be good enough.

ChicagoJoe wrote: »
    This is the possibility of a head-to-head matchup between probably the world's best player LeBron and the next young superstar, Paul George. Indiana last season surprised everyone by pushing the Heat to the brink before faltering as the Heat took a second straight crown. Miami might not have the defensive reputation of the Pacers, but they've played well enough so far and should be good enough.

But for the the Hawks (Game 4 and 6) and Wizards (Game 2 and 4) choking late on in a couple of games, the Pacers would be out. They've played well a few times at max, shooting way above their averages this season and for most their opening two rounds. Out of 13 games so far in the Playoffs, I've been impressed defensively twice with them. The big thing for Miami is the three ball, which has been quite poor so far despite the occasional big shot from players on their team. If it's falling and Bosh attacks Hibbert who still looks suspect defensively despite finding his shot at the other end than this series won't go past 5 games. Antic and Gortat showed what can be done and Bosh is better than both of them.

George can guard LeBron all he wants like year, but unlike last year, he'll need to be an offensive juggernaut too considering the Pacers inconsistencies. LeBron won't mind dishing assists. The blueprint to beating the Pacers is there for Miami. Atlanta nearly had them. Washington nearly had them. Inexperience cost them both.

I do hope the Pacers win this series for OKC/Spurs sake (though seeing either beat Miami would be that bit more delicious), and I have them (Pacers) down for winning Game 1 in saying all that above. It's about them they grew a pair and played well at both ends of the court. I think they'll split the opening two games down in Indiana.

Miami can play lockdown defense with the best of them btw when they want.

Nope, BT got the complete rights to it for the next few years. Tbh, while they've been a pain not showing most of the playoffs, we get stuff like TNT's halftime show and NBA Countdown, which is great as Sky did their own studio stuff instead of it

I honestly loathed Sky's coverage. Their pundits, especially the host did my head in. In saying that, it was nice having more live coverage options. Nothing will compare to the guys on TNT. I think I might be the only one here who doesn't like ESPN too! Collins is good, but Rose and Simmonds aren't great TV. Brilliant on Grantland, but not TV, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Dude, the girlfriend will disagree with you (though she's been preoccupied by her uni finals and what not lately) :pac: I know it's been discussed quite a bit and is not for this thread, but I'd like to see a new format to the regular season. The current one is frankly ridiculous with the amount of games and travelling done, and for me personally, betting and watching the amount of games I do is disturbing :D

We'll get a petition going before the start of next season for you :D

Interesting to see what OKC's most potent line up in the Playoffs so far is.

"His knee is kind of messed up so I got to be extra aggressive and…make his knee flare up." - Lance Stephenson talking about Dwyane Wade

I don't like D Wade for a number of reasons, but Stephenson really is a Born Ready Idiot.

"His knee is kind of messed up so I got to be extra aggressive and…make his knee flare up." - Lance Stephenson talking about Dwyane Wade

I don't like D Wade for a number of reasons, but Stephenson really is a Born Ready Idiot.

Cue massive game 1 from Wade

Ibaka out for rest of season. Massive blow for OKC

Since the cheerleader only posts when his team wins, I'll take up the mantle. Let's go Pacers *points gun to mouth*. Blue collar, Nuri swagger.

• Advertisement

Here we go, Eastern Conference Finals Game 1 starts now!

The Preacher is in the building, guys. So exciting.

Oh this is gonna be a fun series!

Pacers lead 17-10 at the first timeout, Miami have 4 turnovers already

Nice of the supposed great Indiana fans to show up for once.

'The No Bynum, no Turner Effect', yo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

need to stop this Miami momentum now.

LeBron is starting to heat up...... get it?.....heat...... :(

Jones should be suspended for that drive on Hibbert :pac:

Pacers going through Hibbert early, they like the size matchup, but finding him too far from the basket at the moment.

• Advertisement

I know I've said similar before, but Born Ready Jesus and JR Smith must be related. Hilarious.

Advertisement