Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2014

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Korrayls wrote: »
    OKC have 2 consistent scorers (Ibaka would make it 2.5)
    Spurs have about 5/6 consistent scorers

Scott Brooks takes the blame as usual. Amount of open looks OKC got in 1st quarter, sefelosha and collison in particular.
    Again....Scott Brooks takes the blame. Scapegoat.

OKC might have more consistent scorers if their plays were something other than isos! Why doesn't Jones get any game time? Why does Lamb get minimal game time? Also, Jackson is well capable of putting up 15 points most nights.

Even Oklahoman people are coming around to the idea that Brooks isn't getting the best out of this team, but you seemingly want to defend the guy. For the past 4 seasons it's been mostly Durant and Westbrook bailing him out on a nightly basis. I've watched a ridiculous amount of OKC games over the past 3-4 seasons, how has OKC's game not become more rounded, more team based instead of the iso-centric crap we see on a nightly basis? He might be a good man manager, much like Mark Jackson, but other than that...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

OKC have 2 consistent scorers (Ibaka would make it 2.5)
    Spurs have about 5/6 consistent scorers

Scott Brooks takes the blame as usual. Amount of open looks OKC got in 1st quarter, sefelosha and collison in particular.
    Again....Scott Brooks takes the blame. Scapegoat.

If an NBA coach can't put in place a viable offense with the best scorer and one of the best guys at getting to the rim in the game then he has to take the blame. All too often the play is "put the ball in Durant's hands and clear out." Durant and Westbrook play “your turn, my turn" offense far too much. In the next game look out for Durant standing at the elbow with his hand in the air for 14 seconds while Westbrook tries and fails to enter him the ball and then takes a pull-up jumper, and come back and tell me how many times you see that happening. For an offense to work there has to be more than one option on any given play. Watch the Spurs, they run "horns" exceptionally well, which has multiple options. T.P can get into the lane off it, or Duncan after rolling can be hit in the low post, the corner three is often there off this play too. They run a variation of horns were Parker goes to his left off one screen and then goes right off the other guy which gets him into the lane for an easy foul line jumper. They have great weak side low post action, usually for Timmy or Diaw. The Spurs offense is a joy to watch, OKC's is pure torture for a basketball lover, especially with the talent at Scottie's disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Korrayls

Im sorry but I think the alternative scoring options besides durant and westbrrok are just pure piss. them young players will develop but against san antonio feeding and lions are the two words that spring to mind. sam presti has to take some responsibilty here also, the trades of recent years, getting rid of harden, perkins for jeff green who really could have developed into a great player, playing decent stuff at boston. also something tells me westbrook isnt the most tactically disciplined of players, tends to run his own plays alot of the time, similar to reggie jackson. time will tell, okc still a very young team lets not forget, adams will be beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Im sorry but I think the alternative scoring options besides durant and westbrrok are just pure piss. them young players will develop but against san antonio feeding and lions are the two words that spring to mind. sam presti has to take some responsibilty here also, the trades of recent years, getting rid of harden, perkins for jeff green who really could have developed into a great player, playing decent stuff at boston. also something tells me westbrook isnt the most tactically disciplined of players, tends to run his own plays alot of the time, similar to reggie jackson. time will tell, okc still a very young team lets not forget, adams will be beast.

You can only use the "young team" excuse for so long though. They're not kids any more, in relative terms their younger guys still all have around 5 and 6 years experience in the NBA. More than enough and given how short most players coming into the league last then they could, in all honesty, be classed as veterans at this stage. The window to win is very short in the NBA and they've essentially got two years to do something before Durant becomes a free agent. If they haven't at least got to more Finals by 2016, then Durant's off and that's it for the "young team".

Westbrook certainly isn't the most disciplined of players I agree, he drives me crazy as a neutral sometimes, but the head coach needs to be able to channel that. I'd suggest a Pop, Thibs, Carlisle, type head coach would have them all playing much better.

I won't pretend to be as tactically aware as some of the other guys on here when it comes to play calling, but even to me it is clear that the Thunder lack any real sort of direction or structure. Their plays are reminiscent of what the Bulls used to do before Jackson came in and gave them the structure and direction that Brooks can't seem to give the Thunder - just giving the ball to Jordan (see Durant and Westbrook) and hoping for the best.

man if you watch the 1st quarter, okc running very nice plays, but the problem was spurs were just happy to see guys like sefelosha and collison on the end of them. if you watch all the best teams, most 1st quarters is about adopting a rhythm while not relying on your best player to score.
    okc issue is Serge Ibaka is their 3rd scorer - Scott brooks isnt at fault for that - the guys in the backround who made a balls of the harden trade are, okc are an organisation with very little, I can understand perkins trade but the harden one, I just do not get because that as you say completely ruined their chances of kicking on and winning a championship since their loss to miami a couple years ago.

• Advertisement

I've said it multiple times now, this issue far extends past Ibaka, these playoffs and this season as a whole. You seem to think I (or perhaps we) believe it's to do with just one particular recent game.

I'm very open to changing my mind on something, but when it comes to Brooks and the Thunder, who I would LOVE to see them win a Championship, even though it still sickens me that Seattle lost their team, I can't change my opinion that's been based on watching this team for a number of seasons on a near nightly basis.

Draft Winner is on right now before Game 2 of the Pacers - Heat for those who don't know.

Stuck some money on the Celtics and Lakers winning it for a laugh.

OKC still reaping the benefits in this draft as part of the harden deal with the 1267th pick.

I do agree with freshening things up at coaching level for OKC, I just don't think its down to Scott Brooks as much as you lads. Who would you bring in instead?

I just legit burst out laughing here.

NBA REALLY wants LeBron back in Cleveland :pac:

• Advertisement

I do agree with freshening things up at coaching level for OKC, I just don't think its down to Scott Brooks as much as you lads. Who would you bring in instead?

He certainly isn't the only issue, but he's a massive issue nonetheless and when things aren't going smoothly, the coach ultimately will take a lot of the blame. I just do not think this team has developed as much

I was half hoping for OKC's sake that an early exit would result in Brooks being replaced by Stan Van Gundy, but that ship has sailed.

I suppose any over the top, but genuine supporting posts for the Heat won't be reported tonight, heh, though some will surprise me (not really) :)

Square it up Miami.

I just want to see Stephenson foul out at some stage and push a lady down the stairs. game on, should be good. first 3 is good, surely a repeat isnt on the cards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Pacers rolling early. Born Ready!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Myla Shallow Sunblock

Pacers rolling early. Born Ready!

wtf does that mean

I just want to see Stephenson foul out at some stage and push a lady down the stairs. game on, should be good. first 3 is good, surely a repeat isnt on the cards.

Careful now, you'll be reported by their fanbase for saying means things. You can however take delight in a player suffering a second career threatening injury.

LeBron's defense has been well below his standards the past few games, except for the odd moment here or there.

wtf does that mean

"The 8th Grader"

"SirLancelot"

wtf does that mean

Just think of how Justin Bieber and One Direction fans act.

The Rasaul Butler story is great.

• Advertisement

Scola just sit down. Refs favoring Miami

One poor call = Refs favouring Miami. Let's ignore the the three soft fouls earlier in the game and numerous ones in Game 1 for Indiana. Hurray.

edit - deary me, Bosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

LeFlop shows his head again.

Well done Van Gundy.

"The 8th Grader"

"SirLancelot"

its like you have tourettes :confused:

Thats not going to cut it George, Not at this level

piss poor defending from the heat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Wow!

Lance with 0.1. Beautiful

• Advertisement

Heat playing like crap and yet, they're up 4 at the half.

Advertisement