Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Not really a preview, more an article on why I think the Spurs will beat Miami. Haven't written for them in months, but have a look if your interested.http://www.punditarena.com/basketball/comahony/nba-finals-preview-san-antonio-spurs-miami-heat/

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

buyer95 wrote: »
    Not really a preview, more an article on why I think the Spurs will beat Miami. Haven't written for them in months, but have a look if your interested.http://www.punditarena.com/basketball/comahony/nba-finals-preview-san-antonio-spurs-miami-heat/

Would be interested inreading this....but the link isn't working...:(

Pacers V Heat (4-1)
    You have to go on form and for that reason I'm going for Miami (much as I hate them) in 5, they may even sweep.

San Antonio V OKC (4-2)
    I think each game will be tough and close, but ultimately I see the experience, consistency and all around team play of the Spurs taking this over the youth of OKC. As I'm predicting close games, I see the Pop factor having a say in some of these games. I know the Spurs were swept 4-0 by OKC during the regular season, but I don't think Pop will be limiting guys to 28mins per game if the game is tight! The only caveat on this call is Tony parker's health - haven't heard any update yet.

So a repeat of last year's Finals looks to be on the cards.

Both finalists correct and one score correct. In fairness helped by the Ibaka injury, and while the score was correct, 5 out of the 6 games were pretty much blowouts - something I didn't see coming.

That said, i think if Miami had gone for the jugular in game 5 and not thrown up like a hundred threes they'd have taken that 4-1.

Would be interested inreading this....but the link isn't working...:(

Should be working now.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Thought I'd post it here since there's a bit of a lull in conversation as we wait for the Finals to begin.
    All-NBA 1st Team:
    K. Durant
    L. James
    J. Noah
    C. Paul
    J. Harden

All-NBA 2nd Team:
    S. Curry
    B. Griffin
    K. Love
    D. Howard
    T. Parker

All-NBA 3rd Team:
    A. Jefferson
    P. George
    L. Aldridge
    G. Dragic
    D. Lillard

I need to check out his numbers for the season, but it annoys me that non factor on defense, flopping, overrated shooting guard in the 1st team. There's a great vid I watched the other day on the wall of defense that is Harden I'll post up later. Amusing thing is that he got two votes in the defensive category the other day it was announced.

Despite all my criticism of him in the past, Blake is unlucky not to make the 1st team also.

• Advertisement

Hard to put BG ahead of any of Durant, LeJon or Noah, but Harden ahead of Curry? It's a disgrace Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

How Harden got in the First, I'll never know. Steph should've gotten it.

According to reports, PG getting in the third team gets him $7 million from his contract. No Finals/Game 7 on home floor but Silver linings and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

The awards are devalued because the voters are idiots, most know little outside of their own team and what the national media also push. Cousins should at least be third team too. It's a popularity contest, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

moneyman wrote: »
    The awards are devalued because the voters are idiots, most know little outside of their own team and what the national media also push. Cousins should at least be third team too. It's a popularity contest, nothing more.

Yeah I tend to ignore all these awards. Noah won defensive player of the year this year, but it's kind of empty when the team doesn't have success.

Looked down through the list above, and only 2 of the 15 have rings. Hate to sound so old-fashioned, but that's the only award I care about.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Yeah I tend to ignore all these awards. Noah won defensive player of the year this year, but it's kind of empty when the team doesn't have success.

Looked down through the list above, and only 2 of the 15 have rings. Hate to sound so old-fashioned, but that's the only award I care about.

Kurt Rambis has more rings than Larry Bird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

My main gripe....where's Kobe?

Kurt Rambis has more rings than Larry Bird.

I'm assuming a basic level of intelligence that doesn't interpret it to mean Kurt Rambis is better than Larry Bird.

The great thing about rings is cuts through all the other bull****.

Like that ridiculous stat during the season about Durant overtaking Jordan by scoring 25 points in 40 consecutive games. I remember thinking at the time 'Jordan has 6 rings, Durant has 0'.

And when it came to the playoffs, what good was Durant's ability to score 25 points in 40 consecutive games?

(In fairness to Durant, he was the first to say the stat was meaningless.)

All the great players understand this. You think Magic knows what's important in basketball?

@MagicJohnson: "NBA Championship rings are all that matter; Jordan 6, Me 5, Bird 3, LeBron 2 and Dr. J 1."

Jordan, who had more individual stats than most?

Phil Jackson is as much about team basketball as anyone and called his book '11 Rings'.

It's a team game. The object is to win basketball games and championships. Rings measure that. They're 10 times more important than all the other crap combined.

It annoys me at times because there are so many individual awards and stats that people talk about, you'd think at times that winning championships was a side issue.

Predictions for the Conference finals:

East:

Heat-Pacers - 4-2 Heat win - Miami proved that they can dispatch of teams with ease in playoff mode but Indy have the home advantage now. To me, this really depends on which Pacers team shows up tbh. If it's the team that started the series against the Wizards, this series will be over quick. If it's the team that finished the series against the Wizards, then we're in for a great series. I'm going Miami in 6, based on Miami's experience factor and the fact I just don't think this up and down Pacers team can beat the Heat when it counts

West:

Spurs-Thunder - 4-2 Spurs win - Thunder have the youth factor, Spurs have the experience factor. Gonna go with Spurs in 6 (maybe 5). The way the Spurs are able to beat teams without much attention is a credit to them and I think they'll be too much for OKC.

#Cash! :cool::pac:

I'm assuming a basic level of intelligence that doesn't interpret it to mean Kurt Rambis is better than Larry Bird.

Like that ridiculous stat during the season about Durant overtaking Jordan by scoring 25 points in 40 consecutive games. I remember thinking at the time 'Jordan has 6 rings, Durant has 0'.

And when it came to the playoffs, what good was Durant's ability to score 25 points in 40 consecutive games?

All the great players understand this. You think Magic knows what's important in basketball?

@MagicJohnson: "NBA Championship rings are all that matter; Jordan 6, Me 5, Bird 3, LeBron 2 and Dr. J 1."

Phil Jackson is as much about team basketball as anyone and called his book '11 Rings'.

It's a team game. The object is to win basketball games and championships. Rings measure that. They're 10 times more important than all the other crap combined.

It annoys me at times because there are so many individual awards and stats that people talk about, you'd think at times that winning championships was a side issue.

Gee thanks for the nod at a basic level of intelligence.

Of course it's about a team game and winning. BUT my point is rings can't be the one and only measure of greatness. You can amass rings as a bench warmer on championship teams but you may play seconds in a series - does that make you a winner? Not in my eyes.

The Bird and Rambis comparison is legit in my eyes as Bird is a Top 5 All Time player in most people's eyes, Top 10 at worst in almost everybody else's. But by your argument (sic.) Rambis is better/more of a winner by virtue of the fact he has more rings. Which is just crap. If you were starting a team tomorrow and you had 1 pick to start with - Rambis or Bird, there's only one choice.

More examples? Juwan Howard over Charles Barkley. Adam Morrison over Karl Malone.

Ever heard of Dickey Simpkins, Mengke Bateer, Brian Cardinal, Scott Pollard, Gabe Pruitt or Sun Yue? All "got rings". John Stockton has none.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭BQQ

But by your argument (sic.) Rambis is better/more of a winner by virtue of the fact he has more rings. Which is just crap. If you were starting a team tomorrow and you had 1 pick to start with - Rambis or Bird, there's only one.

Ehhh, that's not really his argument though.

Obviously, no one stat can be used to decide one player is better than another least of all the number of rings they have.

However, winning should carry a little more weight.
    It's why I'd put an Isiah Thomas ahead of a Julius Irving for example

Of course it's about a team game and winning. BUT my point is rings can't be the one and only measure of greatness. You can amass rings as a bench warmer on championship teams but you may play seconds in a series - does that make you a winner? Not in my eyes.

The Bird and Rambis comparison is legit in my eyes as Bird is a Top 5 All Time player in most people's eyes, Top 10 at worst in almost everybody else's. But by your argument (sic.) Rambis is better/more of a winner by virtue of the fact he has more rings. Which is just crap. If you were starting a team tomorrow and you had 1 pick to start with - Rambis or Bird, there's only one choice.

More examples? Juwan Howard over Charles Barkley. Adam Morrison over Karl Malone.

Ever heard of Dickey Simpkins, Mengke Bateer, Brian Cardinal, Scott Pollard, Gabe Pruitt or Sun Yue? All "got rings". John Stockton has none.

No basketball since Sunday beginning to take its toll on the thread! Chill guys
    And infairness to Juwan Howard, that guy could play once. He had a season where he put up 22, 8 and 5 with th Bullets. Not suggesting he was anywhere near Chuck's level, but he doesn't deserve to be thrown in with the Adam Morrison's of this world!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Really can't put into words how disappointing it is that there's no game on at the weekend. Damn early morning starts have made me miss the majority of the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Myla Shallow Sunblock

if mj is using that argument theres only one player that ran out of fingers 20287a_lg.jpeg

i don't think you just have to look at the player some guys are better than others stats be damned

I just thought it was kind of a glib simplification of my argument. I'm obviously not saying more rings = better player. I assumed this was kind of a given. I'm talking about rings AND the player's contribution to them.

But rings are still the starting point. Is Barkley a great player? Sure. With no rings, is he in the conversation of greatest player of all time. No, no player without any rings can be in the conversation for greatest ever.

Anyway, general point is that I think there's way too much emphasis in the NBA coverage on these fairly meaningless individual awards and feats in a team sport. I think there are vested interests here. The media are interested in hyping players because it drives page-hits/viewership, and less-than-great players are interested in hyping themselves.

Unfortunately people follow what ESPN and the media says, and I think this is where the discussion gets distorted.

The proper players know most of this stuff is rubbish, I think that's why the ring stat appeals to them, even though it is somewhat simplistic, and there needs to be added context.

You don't need to be Magic or Jordan to get it. I mentioned how Durant gets it. When Noah was receiving MVP chants from the Bulls crowd this year (and I think he ended up finishing 3rd in the voting), he was asked about it:

"I don’t like it," he said. "No, I don’t like it."

Um, why?

"Because our MVP is not playing. We have one MVP, and that's Derrick Rose. And it’s not about MVPs, it’s about rings, and one day I hope that we can get one here."

Joakim Noah Doesn't Like MVP Chants, Says Derrick Rose Is Chicago Bulls MVP

A great example of stats over team is San Antonio. The most impressive stat for me this year is the fact that no San Antonio player averaged more than 28 mins a game this year. And yet they finished with the best record in the league.

But let's explore that a little more. All players on that team have bought in to the philosophy that they're sacrificing their own individual stats for the betterment of the team, which in an ego driven game like basketball is at the elite level is one of Pop's greatest achievements. If Timmy was the starter for a weak team and played 40mims per night, he'd easily add significant numbers to his scoring and rebounding numbers. Same with Parker on assists and points etc. and so on. It gets really significant in Timmy's case when you put that into a career context - how much individual glory (and stats) he's sacrificed over the years to win. Likewise, you have standout players on weak (and indeed strong) teams who put up impressive stats but you know they're gunners and/or not exactly team players.

I just hate the rings argument, I really do - and the Rambis*/Bird argument shuts that one down pretty quickly for most people. I know it was an example, but I don't think anyone thinks Chuck is the greatest ever though.

*Kurt Rambis also has more appearances on Sweet Valley High than Larry Bird. Check from about the 5:35 mark for some light relief and incredible acting. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

But totally agree on the individual awards being meaningless nowadays the way they have been manipulated by media/agents/players etc.

Holy crap, Sweet Valley High :pac:

I feel old now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

7 hours til the first game of the finals and my broadband still isn't back up after being promised it would be back by this morning. **** this for bad timing.

Fantastic interactive Finals preview up on Grantland from Goldsberry -

http://grantland.com/features/nba-finals-2014-miami-heat-san-antonio-spurs-shooters-lebron-james/

cover1152.jpg?w=750

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Predictions then lads?

Everything points to the Spurs. Home advantage, a road record of 30-11 compared to the Heat's 22-19, Spurs offense score 105.4 a game in the stronger west compared to the Heat's 102.2 in the horrendously bad east, they both concede 97, Spurs offensive and defensive rebounding stats are better, they have better roster depth, better 3 point shooting, and there's also the revenge factor from last year.

All that said, I can't escape thinking that the Heat will pull it off again. They have the best player in the series and on the planet, and it's tough to win a 7 game series when you don't have the best player in it on your team. Parker said he's unsure of how his ankle will hold up as he hasn't done anything at full speed since he was withdrawn against the Thunder, but I feel the Spurs need him at 100% to tick and it could be a small piece of luck like that for the Heat that may swing this series.

I'm going for the Heat in 7, with LeBron to go into beast mode, but if Parker's not 100% then I think the Heat take it more comfortably. Despite almost everything being in favour of the Spurs on the stats sheet, I can't look past the Heat (or more specifically, LeBron). I hope I'm wrong as I'd love to see the Spurs do it.

Enjoy it anyway lads, it will hopefully be a cracking series. :)

On another note, I've just realised that the format has gone to 2-2-1-1-1, much better IMO. If teams split the first two games in a Finals there's not really much home advantage then having to go on the road 3 games in a row during the old format. I like the 2-2-1-1-1 a lot better.

Heat in 7 for me

I want the Spurs to win it but I just can't see past the 3-peat for the Heat. Spurs have played the better basketball throughout the season and have home court in this but Miami with LeBron in playoff mode are just something else.

Spurs in 6.

San Antonio almost got it done last year, they are a little deeper, healthier and better this time around.

2 am tip off tonight

I'll say Spurs in 6. Difference from last year...home court, healthy Ginobili, healthy Parker (fingers crossed). A bit more depth, bit more experience from the younger players like Leonard and Green and they have a bit of practice in playing a similar team in the Thunder. Plus the fact that they were pretty unlucky not to win last year.

For Miami, Wade is healthier than he was last year, but I think they've lost some depth in terms of 3-point shooting.

I think the depth and options they have win it for the Spurs, they have more scope to change things around if something isn't working. Part of the reason Pop played different bench lineups in the regular season was to rest the older guys, and part was to try out different things so they'd be prepared to use them in the playoffs. So I think they'll be well prepared to make adjustments if plan A isn't working, like against the Thunder when Bonner replaced Splitter in the starting lineup.

• Advertisement

My feelings are already known on this(Spurs in 6) but its safe to say excitement is at fever pitch right now for me! Last years series was one of the best in years, heres hoping tonight is just as good.

Advertisement