Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2014

Options
1616263646567»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Paully D wrote: »
    The only team I feel would be a good, realistic move for him at this stage would be the Clippers. Huge market, a great coach and very good pieces on their roster at their peak, but alas they have far too much money tied up in other players to do it and Donald Sterling doesn't seem to be going down easily.

I mentioned the Clippers a while back as a dark horse, and I think it makes a lot of sense. If you look at his motivations when he left Cleveland, Miami didn't have a great history, good fans or whatever. Why did he go there? Cos he thought it'd be fun to play with his buddy Wade. That was the main motivation I think.

He's good friends with Chris Paul, and it'd be fun to play with him. Doc Rivers is known as a players coach, LA is a good place to live if you're a celebrity.

As for the feasibility of it....I think if Lebron says he wants to play for your team, you can facilitate it. Blake Griffin's traded no problem if necessary.

And maybe playing in the Western Conference is a draw too, even though it's tougher, it's a different challenge.

If I'm Lebron at this point, I'd bolt to the Clippers. You only get one career, it's short. The Heat will probably play on the loyalty card with him, but he's no special loyalty there. He won them 2 championships, there won't be recriminations if he goes.

I still think he's favourite to stay in Miami, but that's what I'd probably do if I was in his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I think it could depend on what Wade and Bosh decide; if they opt in for final year of contract, I can see LeBron opting out and leaving to somewhere where he can form another great team.

LeBron will be staying if they either all opt-in, or all opt-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Being honest, I didn't quite realise just how bad D-Wade's defence was during the Finals. Always a shame to see such a good player become a shell of himself through injuries, no matter who they play for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

Re-watched Game 6 last night, superb performances across the board for the Spurs - even TP chipped in with 16 once he figured out where the basket was. What a team - players go there and get better than anyone could have imagined they'd ever be. If that win didn't get you, then I'm afraid that you may well be dead inside.

f324156fb9034711ad4855f713df00bf.gif

As for the Heat, can't get away from the conclusion that it's still Wade's team and he's shot. No sympathy, tbh, but that's another story. Leads to some interesting permutations - I don't see Wade opting, because where's he going to get another superstar contract? Bosh is probably dependent on what the other two do.

And then there's Larbon. Someone mentioned loyalty? Someone else mentioned biggest brand in basketball, and that's more what's going to determine things, imho.

Is Larbon Inc. going to decide that the Heat brand now tarnished? I mean, for any other team after 4 finals and 2 rings that would be ridiculous talk, but the Heat and the Brand Bran are ridiculous projects. Knicks in 2015 has been suggested, and it makes a certain amount of sense to me. Not seeing Melo going the other way this summer being workable, tbh. But, if I were betting, my money would be on all three staying.

Then there's the legacy. Jalen Rose said before the finals that He was going to have His signature game in these finals. And he did. Isiah did his ankle and took over. Jordan had a flu game, hell Dirk had a flu game ... Bran had his cramp game? Of course it's not his fault (he did ham it up, but), however this is not the stuff of which a G.O.A.T. career is made. And I don't think it's an unfair comparison, seeing as he consistently puts himself in the conversation ... not one Mount Rushmore, not two...

I mean, He was obviously excellent in the finals, but was looking truly great in the first quarter of Game 6. For a minute or two I nearly believed we were going to see a career defining game followed by the greatest turn around in NBA history. But, again, he just didn't have the force of personality to make the game his. He just doesn't have that thing. Maybe he'll learn it, maybe he won't. But the Heat need Wade for that, and he's now a shadow of himself.

Piece in Grantland saying that anyone who denies Larbon's epochal greatness is essentially braindead ... which goes on to describe Him as "the greatest player we’ve seen since Jordan" as if it's somehow a given. Meanwhile, Timmah has anchored 5 championship teams in 3 decades, 2 MVP, 3 FMVP, Kobe three-peat, Shaq's dominance, etc...

Ultimately, He's treated Himself (and been treated by the NBA industry) as if he's had a Magic times Bird times Kobe career already. He still might, but it's not there yet. And when the script has been set for true greatness, he's fluffed his lines. Best as of today, yes. But I think it's legitimate to doubt His greatness at this point, more so than to presume it. Lot of work yet to climb Mount Rushmore.

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90888681#post90888681

Fantastic piece by Grantland on T.P and Boris Diaw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

benway wrote: »
    Re-watched Game 6 last night, superb performances across the board for the Spurs - even TP chipped in with 16 once he figured out where the basket was. What a team - players go there and get better than anyone could have imagined they'd ever be. If that win didn't get you, then I'm afraid that you may well be dead inside.

f324156fb9034711ad4855f713df00bf.gif

As for the Heat, can't get away from the conclusion that it's still Wade's team and he's shot. No sympathy, tbh, but that's another story. Leads to some interesting permutations - I don't see Wade opting, because where's he going to get another superstar contract? Bosh is probably dependent on what the other two do.

And then there's Larbon. Someone mentioned loyalty? Someone else mentioned biggest brand in basketball, and that's more what's going to determine things, imho.

Is Larbon Inc. going to decide that the Heat brand now tarnished? I mean, for any other team after 4 finals and 2 rings that would be ridiculous talk, but the Heat and the Brand Bran are ridiculous projects. Knicks in 2015 has been suggested, and it makes a certain amount of sense to me. Not seeing Melo going the other way this summer being workable, tbh. But, if I were betting, my money would be on all three staying.

Then there's the legacy. Jalen Rose said before the finals that He was going to have His signature game in these finals. And he did. Isiah did his ankle and took over. Jordan had a flu game, hell Dirk had a flu game ... Bran had his cramp game? Of course it's not his fault (he did ham it up, but), however this is not the stuff of which a G.O.A.T. career is made. And I don't think it's an unfair comparison, seeing as he consistently puts himself in the conversation ... not one Mount Rushmore, not two...

I mean, He was obviously excellent in the finals, but was looking truly great in the first quarter of Game 6. For a minute or two I nearly believed we were going to see a career defining game followed by the greatest turn around in NBA history. But, again, he just didn't have the force of personality to make the game his. He just doesn't have that thing. Maybe he'll learn it, maybe he won't. But the Heat need Wade for that, and he's now a shadow of himself.

Piece in Grantland saying that anyone who denies Larbon's epochal greatness is essentially braindead ... which goes on to describe Him as "the greatest player we’ve seen since Jordan" as if it's somehow a given. Meanwhile, Timmah has anchored 5 championship teams in 3 decades, 2 MVP, 3 FMVP, Kobe three-peat, Shaq's dominance, etc...

Ultimately, He's treated Himself (and been treated by the NBA industry) as if he's had a Magic times Bird times Kobe career already. He still might, but it's not there yet. And when the script has been set for true greatness, he's fluffed his lines. Best as of today, yes. But I think it's legitimate to doubt His greatness at this point, more so than to presume it. Lot of work yet to climb Mount Rushmore.

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

Much as I hate to agree with the first take team one of them had a good line about lebron......it went something along the lines of transcendent talent but lacking the killer instinct that separates Jordan and Kobe from the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Myla Shallow Sunblock

ec18 wrote: »
    Much as I hate to agree with the first take team one of them had a good line about lebron......it went something along the lines of transcendent talent but lacking the killer instinct that separates Jordan and Kobe from the rest.

to be fair thats hardly a revaluation on there part its widely accepted. iv seen him get that look in his eyes once or twice in late games and obliterate teams (one game against the celtics when he was with the cave springs to mind in particular) but hes not had it very often.

to be fair to them this finals in particular they must have been wrecked this year i was listening to the mike and mike podcast this morning and they where saying when (i think it was golic) he was covering the bulls during there first 3 peat when they won the 3rd finals there was less joy and more a sense of relief it was over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭BQQ

benway wrote: »
    Re-watched Game 6 last night, superb performances across the board for the Spurs - even TP chipped in with 16 once he figured out where the basket was.

Game 6 :eek:

On the Miami situation, I've changed my mind after hearing the various parties interviewed.
    The vibes seem to be that they will stay together assuming Pat Riley can put a new supporting cast around them.

I'd love to get Trevor Ariza in, but not sure if he'd be keen on making less money for a shot at winning. Wiz had a good year too.
    I guess the big question is: do they let Chalmers go?
    Assuming they do, who is out there to replace him?

to be fair thats hardly a revaluation on there part its widely accepted. iv seen him get that look in his eyes once or twice in late games and obliterate teams (one game against the celtics when he was with the cave springs to mind in particular) but hes not had it very often.

to be fair to them this finals in particular they must have been wrecked this year i was listening to the mike and mike podcast this morning and they where saying when (i think it was golic) he was covering the bulls during there first 3 peat when they won the 3rd finals there was less joy and more a sense of relief it was over

Could you give me a link to that podcast, sounds interesting.

buyer95 wrote: »
    Could you give me a link to that podcast, sounds interesting.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/feeds/itunes/podCast?id=2445552

i like mike and mike there like first take....... but you know for adults. :D

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

BQQ wrote: »
    Game 6 :eek:

On the Miami situation, I've changed my mind after hearing the various parties interviewed.
    The vibes seem to be that they will stay together assuming Pat Riley can put a new supporting cast around them.

I'd love to get Trevor Ariza in, but not sure if he'd be keen on making less money for a shot at winning. Wiz had a good year too.
    I guess the big question is: do they let Chalmers go?
    Assuming they do, who is out there to replace him?

Commiserations dude, you're probably the only Heat fan I'd say that for :pac: At least you don't go into hiding after tough losses, so that deserves respect.

I'd say it's 70-30 in my mind LeBron will stay for at least one more season, that depends entirely on this summers recruitment plan.

As for Chalmers, well, my dislike of him is well known at this stage, BUT, I kinda feel for him in the sense he was never given the chance to develop his game. Same applies to Norris Cole too. All due to LeBron ball. I'd get a legit veteran point guard and replace him with Chalmers, let Cole have his chance to develop his game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/feeds/itunes/podCast?id=2445552

i like mike and mike there like first take....... but you know for adults. :D

First Take is okay, so long as you don't take it seriously. It's like watching Dunphy and Brady at it on RTE. Brady occasionally makes an eloquent point, but for the most part, both are fools, like Smith and that so and so, Bayless.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    First Take is okay, so long as you don't take it seriously. It's like watching Dunphy and Brady at it on RTE. Brady occasionally makes an eloquent point, but for the most part, both are fools, like Smith and that so and so, Bayless.

ya id agree with you there i do listen to it occasionally but its far from my first choice podcast.

btw mike and mike had someone on yesterday as well (a miami based reporter for espy that has ties with the team) that said straight out if they opt out that means there going to stay anything else and lebron is likely gone

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Butters, I can possibly sort you out with the full game if you really want to view it?

Ta Ade, only seeing this now. Am I too late? PM me if you would?

Ta Ade, only seeing this now. Am I too late? PM me if you would?

I'll Tweet you it once I get it. Fairly sure a mate uploaded it, but I'll have to double check. Just to make sure, HD quality you want, yeah?

Pop trolling Lebron during the victory parade might be the funniest thing I've ever seen. How many titles do Pop and Timmy now have? Not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, FIVE!

Brilliant!

Boredom setting in without any NBA games to watch. I was watching a few postgame interviews from after game 5, and after I watched Timmy's one, his interview after they lost popped up in recommended videos. I must say I have never seen a guy as beaten up over anything sports related, it just makes me love the guy more when you see what it means. The money isn't his motivation, it never was. He loves the game and plays to win. The fact that he somehow managed to re-motivate to go again this year and win it all after losing in such a tragic manner last year says it all. Both these vids worth the watch.

"Game 7 is gonna always haunt me."

"For whatever reasons, this is sweeter than any other."

I love his answer to the question about "what the is the lesson for any player who people think is done, is past his prime, about resilience you could impart?" Timmy-"Don't listen to the media!"

PS: Some pretty big stuff are alleged in the comments below the 2nd video pertaining to Duncan's messy divorce from his wife. While the wording is rather unfortunate, particularly those pertaining to her being a skank, after some digging it appears what is alleged is very true. Duncan's wife hit him with divorce papers during the NBA Finals last year, after according to multiple sources Duncan believed that she was having an affair with her personal trainer. His worst fears were proven to be true after hiring a personal detective.

Timmy had wished to park all that and deal with an amicable divorce after the playoffs. His wife then blindsided him with divorce papers and a date to appear in court, which fell just before game 4 of the NBA Finals. I'm actually shocked about this. I don't know how I missed this last year...

Finally I'll end this post with this media interview with Pop before game 7.

"What is the best part of doing this if it is torture?" Pop- "Thats why I always say coaches are sick puppies."

Advertisement