Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord selling up

Options
  • 17-04-2014 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hey guys hoping someone here can help? me and my partner signed a lease with an auctioneer for a 12month contract last november. We were advised at the time that the house was up for sale but would be taken down off the market for the 12months that we were in that lease as the Landlord was happy that he would be getting 750e a month that would go against his mortgage and we would review it again next november if we decided to stay.we couldnt be happier where we are had never had any major issues. Fastforward 5and a half months later yesterday afternoon i get a fone call from the recepionist in the auctioneers asking me do i mind if somebody comes and views the house today at 3.30 as they are interested in buying it!!!!! im shocked as im unaware the house is back on the market,now ive to take the afternoon off work to be here and let them in and with that if they put in a bid and its accepted can we just be tossed out on our ear??im due a baby in 7weeks and could do without the stress of having to move
    any advice would be grateful guys thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Fastforward 5and a half months later yesterday afternoon i get a fone call from the recepionist in the auctioneers asking me do i mind if somebody comes and views the house today at 3.30 as they are interested in buying it!!!!! im shocked as im unaware the house is back on the market,now ive to take the afternoon off work to be here and let them in
    First off, check the usual house buying sites to see if the house is for sale. If you can't find it, it may be a case of someone looking for a house in your specific area.

Secondly, you decide when to do the viewings. In future, do it whilst you're not in work. 7pm or 8pm. Some people only do viewings on Saturdays at noon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Hey guys hoping someone here can help? me and my partner signed a lease with an auctioneer for a 12month contract last november. We were advised at the time that the house was up for sale but would be taken down off the market for the 12months that we were in that lease as the Landlord was happy that he would be getting 750e a month that would go against his mortgage and we would review it again next november if we decided to stay.we couldnt be happier where we are had never had any major issues. Fastforward 5and a half months later yesterday afternoon i get a fone call from the recepionist in the auctioneers asking me do i mind if somebody comes and views the house today at 3.30 as they are interested in buying it!!!!! im shocked as im unaware the house is back on the market,now ive to take the afternoon off work to be here and let them in and with that if they put in a bid and its accepted can we just be tossed out on our ear??im due a baby in 7weeks and could do without the stress of having to move
    any advice would be grateful guys thanks :)

If you have a fixed term lease then they cannot make you leave before the end of the lease term.

Wanting to sell the house cannot be used as a reason to terminate the lease - it could after the fixed term lease ended if you were on a part 4 tenancy.

You are not obliged to allow viewings, you shouldn't have to take time off etc to accommodate them. They are not allowed to have viewings without your knowledge either - you are entitled to quiet enjoyment of your home and the landlord/agent can only enter the house for scheduled inspections (at an agreed time and not for the purpose of viewings) or in an emergency.

I suggest talking to the landlord or agent, tell them you will not be moving out until the end of the lease and that you will not be allowing anymore viewings. If they try to claim that they have a right to hold viewings you should seek advice from threshold or the prtb.

Alternatively you could negotiate for money off your rent to allow viewings.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

nibtrix wrote: »
    I suggest talking to the landlord or agent, tell them you will not be moving out until the end of the lease and that you will not be allowing anymore viewings.
    I'd allow the viewings at a time that suits you, but maybe only once weekly. Mention that you won't be doing any viewings around the pregnancy, as the place won't be that tidy, and also because there'll probably be a smell of baby poop :pac:

I say this, as cooperation is a two way street. You help the LL, and should anything break down, I'd say he'd be more willing to help you quickly than if you blocked all viewings. There's no hard and fast rules over fixing things, and I've seen some bad LL's call a few weeks "reasonable time" to fix stuff, so it'd be an idea to stay on good terms with the LL, especially with the pregnancy approaching.

Advertisement