Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Duathalon

Options
  • 17-04-2014 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

I am planning on doing my first short Duathalon, Is only a small local event.
    I was wondering what to wear as i have running gear and cycling gear. I assume i should wear the running gear for the whole event as i can run in my padded cycling shorts. the event is a run-cycle-run.
    Also with regard to shoes i was planning on just changing from running shoes to SPD-SL's and back again for the last run.
    Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Tri shorts would be the best choice but if you don't have any I'd go with run shorts for the whole thing. An hour on the bike with run shorts won't kill you but running in the wrong cycling shorts might leave you wishing you were dead.

Of course your bike shorts might be OK, you could test them beforehand and see how they feel.

As for shoes, just change them in transition or put flat pedals on the bike and wear your run shoes for the whole thing. Personally, I'd change shoes and so does nearly everybody else.

Most of all, enjoy it. They're bloody painful but I love them.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you want to change your shoes fast, put speed laces on them, and practice swapping over.
    In case you arent told, the rule for these races is helmet first, then bike. Dont touch your bike till your helmet is on, it ensures you dont forget.
    Try a practice ride in run shorts, and see how you manage. Also, as preparation, do a short run off the bike a few times. It will help you with that transition which can feel a bit weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I did my first (and second) duathlons recently and wore cycling gear. I race cx during the winter so had some idea of what running in it was like. I changed to spd-sl in transition and back to runners for the 2nd run. Enjoy it. Especially the transition from cycle - run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Thanks for the replies, I find it uncomfortable walking in my Cycling stuff never mind running in it. I think i will go with Shorts and HTFU with no padding on the bike. The distances are 3km Run / 18km Bike / 5km Run. Looking forward to it but not the last transition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

I done my first Duathlon last sunday, lennymc was there, I thoroughly enjoyed it, I had a tri suit which I bought for Gaelforce west, was a bit weary wearing it but once I got going I found it great think I gave €50 for it in CRC sale, I couldnt run in cycling shorts, but probably could have cycled in running shorts. The transition wa strange to say the least for my first time, I havent a clue what I was at for over a minute on my first transition, Enjoy it and Im sure youll be back for more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

My first duathlon is this weekend. I've only been running since Feb. and cycling since March/April but I'm looking forward to it. I had wondered about shorts too, it's 2.6k run - 17.4k cycle - 2.6k run. I don't think I could cycle in running shorts, I'm sore today after cycling in cycling shorts.

I'm not expecting a good time and I'm half expecting to fall when I try running after the bike but I suppose that's half the fun of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

RonanP77 wrote: »
    My first duathlon is this weekend. I've only been running since Feb. and cycling since March/April but I'm looking forward to it. I had wondered about shorts too, it's 2.6k run - 17.4k cycle - 2.6k run. I don't think I could cycle in running shorts, I'm sore today after cycling in cycling shorts.

I'm not expecting a good time and I'm half expecting to fall when I try running after the bike but I suppose that's half the fun of it.

You're not going to be on the bike that long so running shorts should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

pointer28 wrote: »
    You're not going to be on the bike that long so running shorts should be fine.

I think I'll get a gel cover for the seat, that might help. I'll do a short run tomorrow to test my calf before I think too much about the bike. I haven't run in two weeks because of it and haven't had a good run in 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Animella

Aldi have gel saddle covers at the moment for a fiver. Would you really be bothered changing shoes for the bike for your first duathlon? It is a short cycle so any time you gain with bike shoes could be lost changing them twice.

Whatever you do just do a few brick sessions and run straight after the bike. Your legs can feel like lead or like jelly when you try to run so definitely practice that. Good luck and enjoy!

Advertisement