Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to Shannon Industrial Estate from Limerick City

Options
  • 17-04-2014 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hey not sure if this is in the right forum but just wondering about travelling to the Shannon Industrial Estate from Limerick City. I know its possible on the 343 bus but thinking the weekly ticket of 42 euro is going to add up. Was considering the possibility of cycling there if that is even possible. According to Google Maps it would take 1hr 14mins. I wouldn't mind that but would be concerned that there might be some roads not suitable for bikes.

Anybody ever tried doing that?

Cheers,
    Fintan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

never tried it - but its dual-carriageway (M18/N18) all the way out from Limerick to Shannon don't know what the law is regarding cycling though

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

podge79 wrote: »
    never tried it - but its dual-carriageway (M18/N18) all the way out from Limerick to Shannon don't know what the law is regarding cycling though

You can't cycle on an actual motorway, but if the OP heads out the old Ennis road from Caherdavin sort of direction and joins the N18 just beyond Meelick it's regular dual-carriageway all the way to the airport. It's legal, but a lonely oul' furrow to plough on a bicycle! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

If it is going to be a permanent position it might be worth seeing if your employer is part of the tax saver ticket scheme.
    http://www.taxsaver.ie/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

€42 for a weekly ticket? :eek: That's scandalous! No wonder public transport in this country is ignored. It costs me €35 a week for petrol to do Limerick to Shannon and that's in a 13 year old car.

It is possible to cycle on the dual carriage way, as it's not a motorway and I see people cycling on it every day. I don't know how many of them are actually commuting all the way between Limerick and Shannon though!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

I'm working in Shannon and a lot of people in my office cycle to/from work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It is dual carriageway from Limerick to Shannon, (N18) the motorway only starts from after the exit into Shannon town just beyond the Hurler's Cross, on towards Ennis (M18). It is illegal to cycle on the motorway section.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

I work in Shannon Ind estate (Westpark) and travel from Limerick everyday. Where abouts in the City are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

You'd be taking your life in your hands in this country on a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

I work in plassey and live in shannon and am now in awe of anyone who would cycle that far, there and back everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I think a better option would be to look for a car share, there are people commuting by car from all parts of the city to Shannon. Would be considerably cheaper than €43 a month and faster too.

Perhaps ask people around the office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

1huge1 wrote: »
    I think a better option would be to look for a car share, there are people commuting by car from all parts of the city to Shannon. Would be considerably cheaper than €43 a month and faster too.

Perhaps ask people around the office.

+1 for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

To answer your oriignal question. The road is suitable for cycling. There is a pull-in lane on both sides of the dual carriageway.

You have to go thorugh Limerick city as the tunnel road does not allow bicycles. The section into Shannon industrial estate will probably be very busy in the mornings, as many people live in Limerick and commute to Shannon.

I dont work in Shannon but have regularly cycled on the dual carriageway. Its a long enough cycle but I suspect there would be a hardcore group that commute by bicycle so you may have company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Yes don't cycle through the tunnel its illegal.

Advertisement