Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Check your Adelaide policy

• 17-04-2014 9:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭

Lads, this is purely my own fault for not reading every line of my policy documentation but i came across this in my policy.

Use: Use only for Social, Domestic and Pleasure purposes.

Excluding: Use by any person in connection with commuting to and from his/her place of business or employment.

I gave them a buzz and supposedly my policy has always been like that because it must of been what i request......Not a fooking hope i requested a policy that didn't cover commuting.

It was only 30 quid to add it on for the year but sweet jesus its a fair bit of luck i never had anything happen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

No way, mine says that as well, only got the insurance in Jan/Feb and no way I would have asked for that to be included!!
    They never even mentioned it during any of the calls or communication I had with them.

But yeah, like above, I should have read it line by line. Will need to add that to it today... from work.. which I got to on the bike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

Thsi is no ommision on their part it's delibarate. You want be able to prove that you asked for it in court and that's the point. A fullproof way to charge you for nothing. I record all my calls to insurance companies for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

szatan84 wrote: »
    Thsi is no ommision on their part it's delibarate. You want be able to prove that you asked for it in court and that's the point. A fullproof way to charge you for nothing. I record all my calls to insurance companies for that reason.

Would you have to inform them that they are being recorded in order to ever actually hold it against them??

Out of interest what do you use to record them??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

leppla wrote: »
    Would you have to inform them that they are being recorded in order to ever actually hold it against them??

Out of interest what do you use to record them??

Dont know if u have to inform them or not. They don't always let u know youre being recorded either so I consider it fair game.

There is plenty of software for smatphones for recording, just put call recorded into Google Play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

My policy reads:
    Use only for Social, domestic and pleasure purposes and by the Policyholder in person in connection with commuting to and from his/her permanent place of employment.

It's from last June though, so will scrutinize my renewal documentation in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Sure dont they always ask what is the bike/car is used for...and they say social, domestic and pleasure. Followed closely by how many miles a year you do? Its up to the policy holder to state if they are commuting to work is it not....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

I renewed my policy recently and I was specifically asked what the bikes was used for, commuting, pleasure etc... and it is also detailed in the policy documentation as well.

Regardless of what you asked or not asked for you should always check your policy wording as soon as you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

As far as I know the category used to be social domestic and commuting however recently they have taking commuting into it's own separate category. I suppose it's fair enough for ppl that don't commute as before they were paying for something that did not need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I looked over my policy documentation.
    In 2010 it had commuting. I renewed in 2011 and it didn't include it then or in 2012 or 2013.

So my policy did just change without me asking or them telling me.
    Yeah i should read the documentation, as should everyone.

But this just highlights for people that don't do it that they really should do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

all of my adelaide policies included commuting, and they always went out of their way at renewal time to remind me "this quote includes commuting"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Andy_Dublin

Mine has always stated including commuting. No change here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

szatan84 wrote: »
    Dont know if u have to inform them or not. They don't always let u know youre being recorded either so I consider it fair game.

There is plenty of software for smatphones for recording, just put call recorded into Google Play.

FWIW I'm faaaaairly certain you need to inform the party you're recording them otherwise you're just wasting your time if it ever came down to relying on said information recorded in the call and likewise, a company will never record you without informing you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

goodlad wrote: »
    I looked over my policy documentation.
    In 2010 it had commuting. I renewed in 2011 and it didn't include it then or in 2012 or 2013.

So my policy did just change without me asking or them telling me.
    Yeah i should read the documentation, as should everyone.

But this just highlights for people that don't do it that they really should do it.

Assuming you went through the normal renewal process, they are liable unless they can prove they specifically went out of their way to highlight the change to the policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Thanks for the heads up, just checked and i'm covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

My insurance a few years ago had the same issue but I spotted it. Thing was the documentation they sent me didn't have commuting but when I called them they said it was a mistake in their end but I was actually covered. I'm curious if it is standard practice to leave it out!

I check it every time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

And it appears that if my bike is robbed or damaged outside my gaff my fully comp policy doesn't mean dick!

8gJwhNM.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,379 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You are covered if the bike is garaged. Did they ask you if it was garaged when you looked for a quote?

Scrap the cap!

Yep and I said I didn't have a garage, I'll get on to them in the morning

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'll just check mine, however if you do have a crash and you happen to be on the way home from work, how are they going to know? You could just say you were going to shop etc...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Zascar wrote: »
    I'll just check mine, however if you do have a crash and you happen to be on the way home from work, how are they going to know? You could just say you were going to shop etc...?

I'm thinking the same, sure even if you are on the way to work and you have an accident can't you just say you're out for a spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

As far as I remember from renewal time, companies always ask if you'll use it for commuting. Now, someone who uses a car pretty much all the time to commute, and the bike 10 times a year when it's sunny would probably say "no". But technically you're not insured for those 10 journeys? Fairly ridiculous, but if a big claim came in, it wouldn't surprise me if the insurance company started to ask questions and didn't pay out.

Zascar wrote: »

If you didn't realise you were not covered to commute and you had an accident you wouldnt hide the fact that you were heading to work in any statement or information you give about the accident.

At claim time it would most likely be brought up and then you are over a fooking barrell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

And it appears that if my bike is robbed or damaged outside my gaff my fully comp policy doesn't mean dick!

8gJwhNM.png

I hope your bike is not worth more than 10k cos if it is they won't insure you unless you have a garage

^^^
    No its not, but I'm waiting on a reply from them clarifying their position ie why is that clause there when I explicitly told them from the outset that it will not be garaged but it will be off road.
    I'll post their reply when I get it

Jeaysus!! I'm happy i post about this both here and on Biker.
    There is a good few people that are finding weird stuff in their policy that they hadn't a clue about.

Is it that much of a surprise that Insurance companies are "VULTURES" lads.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hrcbob

Lads i have been chatting to the folks in adeliade insurance up and down for a while getting quotes on various bikes while considering my options before putting a bike back on the roads after a few years of absence,

From what i recall, i think it is their policy not to cover commuting for people taking out their first insurance,
    If its a case that you just renewed your insurance the following year without making any changes, then it is possible that that condition would remain as part of your insurance policy,

8gJwhNM.png

Adelaide just got back and have corrected the policy, seemingly there is an option to keep it in the driveway or keep it garaged. There was no difference in price, but you can bet your bottom dollar this would have been held against me if the bike was stroked.

Adelaide just got back and have corrected the policy, seemingly there is an option to keep it in the driveway or keep it garaged. There was no difference in price, but you can bet your bottom dollar this would have been held against me if the bike was stroked.

Thats exactly what they are looking for.....an oversight that they can use against you. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Jeebus: better check mine now too.

Pardon my LC (Leaving Cert, not RD LC !) English, but where commuting is not specifically EXCLUDED, then commuting is covered under the clause of 'social, domestic and pleasure' use. I mean, that's what 'domestic' is......

Can you imagine if they pulled that **** with car policies ??

Ins co's are a funny beast. I had a claim last year, and the net result is that I kept my NCB but, they still recorded the claim. I wasn't quick enough to agree that keeping my NCB should have excluded any reference to a claim. My bad.

However, when I renewed I asked for No Claims Protection this time - usually about €20 - but they told me that I could not buy it.

Apperently, on foot of a claim, you cannot buy NCB protection for 3 years after a claim.

Wtf not ? You think we're going to go out and deliberately fall off each year for the next 3 ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement