Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Check your Adelaide policy

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I would also have interpreted that along the same lines as the "not for hire or reward" clause regarding the carrying of car passengers. So you couldn't set up as a private courier, for example.

This is still a salutory reminder to read ALL the fine print in insurance documents, as soon as you get them (and are still within the cooling-off period).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Zebbedee wrote: »
    I have an AXA motorbike policy which also states for social, domestic and pleasure purposes only too. So I rang up today and asked if I was also covered for commuting and was told that I was covered as long as I wasn't using the bike during the course of my work.

what does social and domestic actually cover, whats the difference between social and pleasure?
    Private motor insurance is to cover the private individual for the use of their vehicle, not covering commuting is ridiculous or is a tool to give the insurance company a way out of making a payment. Its a reasonable thing to expect a person might have any usage of the vehicle so long as it doesnt include reward for hire or in the use of a business.
    Is that not sharp practice as Ive heard it mentioned recently on boards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,379 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Pleasure is something you do by yourself, social involves other people :)

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Have you ever tried sex, I hear its great !! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

In the context of private motor insurance it has always meant what you use the vehicle for privately, in the sense of not taking reward for a service while using it, the distinction was between private and business use. What you do with it in the privacy of your home is another thing altogether :eek:
    Social, pleasure, even domestic seems pretty clear to me, but what do they mean?
    domestic? well that could cover the running of a household, people need transport to get places connected with running the household, going to work to earn money is then surely a domestic related activity, anyway I will be checking to see as I am putting my bike back on the road.

Its not so much about them adding or removing a set of circumstances or a condition/s, but that it seems to be done somewhat quietly? add or remove circumstances of insurance by all means, I'll make my decision based on comparison of cover and cost.
    Its a heads up and I'll be paying it attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,379 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

KTRIC wrote: »
    Have you ever tried sex, I hear its great !! :rolleyes:

Do, or do not, there is no try.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

€35 or roughly 10% extra for me this year for the possibility of the riding the bike to work. €354 at the moment but I'll go elsewhere if I can get a similar multi-bike policy for similar money.

Boo-urns, Adelaide.

Advertisement