Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another lawn and topsoil question.

• 17-04-2014 10:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

The small garden in the photo is uneven and grass quality is poor due to insufficient topsoil. I have been advised to get 2 tonnes of good quality topsoil and just dump it over the existing area. Then seed it.

My question is: should the lawn be dug up and/or rotovated first? The handyman who advised me says that the existing grass will 'push through' but I'm not sure I believe him.

What should be done? Many thanks.

48B56B21-20A4-4C26-AA25-71E5DF924086.jpg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

I dont reckon you need anything like that amount. A few bags of compost and a few of sand should do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

chopper6 wrote: »
    I dont reckon you need anything like that amount. A few bags of compost and a few of sand should do the trick.

Regular building sand is it? Happen to have some spare that I was trying to give away. How does it work....first sand then compost? No topsoil?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

gebbel wrote: »
    Regular building sand is it? Happen to have some spare that I was trying to give away. How does it work....first sand then compost? No topsoil?

It has to be lime free so you'd need to check.

Mix it with teh compost and sow the grass seed on top of it. Water it well to make sure it gets off to a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

It doesn't look too bad to me. I would rake over the bald spots, work some compost in and sow into that.

Advertisement