Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post Recovery

• 17-04-2014 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭

I do crossfit in the evenings and was looking for a good post-workout recovery drink, was recommended Phil Richards Anabolic Drive but cant find any in Ireland - does anyone know if its available here? I'm so fed up buying things in the uk these days i may as well have my wages paid directly to amazon at this stage!
    also does anyone have experience with PHD recovery 2:1, it may be a suitable substitute.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You don't need anything special, just eat your dinner or drink a whey shake.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ciaran219

i take a protein shake and bsn cellmass after a workout. but id also have a good large healthy meal. couple chicken breasts and veg with sweet potatoes or egg whites etc

• Registered Users Posts: 41 GerSmith

I take a 50/50 split of dextrose and maltodextrin (50g total) with about 25-30g protein (PHD whey which contains added BCAAs and Glutamine).

Traditionalists will recommend fast acting carbs PWO. I tend to agree based on the fact that I think it's important to draw from as many sources of nutrients as you can and I tend to ingest high GI carbs after training only. Over time you'll figure out what works best with your metabolic rate and diet set-up/goals. I think it can be hard to recommend something like this in a generic fashion. A lot of factors to be considered:

-Training output and workout type (will determine total glycogen replenishment requirements)
    -Diet goals (Daily calorie intake will determine how much you may take PWO)

I source the dextrose and maltodextrin seperately in 2.5kgs bags from myprotein and my sack of protein is bought here in IRL. Both last me a substantial amount of time.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

When I was bulking and had gratuitous amounts of calories to get through. I used to make a shake with 60g of whey and 60g of dextrose. feelsgoodman.jpg I saw various articles saying it was the bees knees's but as with all nutrient timing stuff I'd take it with a pinch of dextrose... eh?:pac:

Would my results have been any different if I ate 2 chicken fillets and a sweet potato an hour later? Who knows. The difference would have been so minuscule if there was any I'd say

The handiest thing about "Recovery Shakes" Is you can get down several hundred cals of your 4000+ in 30 seconds and thats one less meal you have to conquer

• Registered Users Posts: 41 GerSmith

conzy wrote: »

Would my results have been any different if I ate 2 chicken fillets and a sweet potato an hour later? Who knows. The difference would have been so minuscule if there was any I'd say

This is a really good point and one that provokes even further in depth discovery around requirements. You were specifically thinking about body composition (more particularly growth) when it came to diet.

What you take PWO can be heavily influenced by that. i.e. someone cutting is probably going to avoid a lot of these drinks in favour of the sweet potato and chicken but someone who's thinking 'performance only' and/or has a requirement for a certain output is likely to benefit as it delivers nutrients that aid this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

woggie wrote: »
    I do crossfit in the evenings and was looking for a good post-workout recovery drink

Chocolate milk.

Advertisement