Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LastPass

Options
  • 17-04-2014 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭

In recent times more and more companies are getting hacked and accounts getting compromised. In an ideal situation you should have a good long password mixed with lower case higher case and numbers. Every account you have should have a different password. But realistically remembering all these passwords isn't going to work as result most would keep some accounts using the same password.

So my question is LastPass what are the Pro's / Con's and general feedback.
    Would you recommend it?
    is there security concerns associated with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Weren't the lastpass servers hacked a few years back??

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

I would definitely recommend it. However for extra security I've added two factory security to my LastPass account by adding a YubiKey token. I got the one that supports NFC so it works with my phone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I use Keepass for the same functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

I use Keepass for the same functionality.

Same here.
    Open source and free, so no chance of NSA ordered backdoors and subsequent gag orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Laviski wrote: »
    In recent times more and more companies are getting hacked and accounts getting compromised. In an ideal situation you should have a good long password mixed with lower case higher case and numbers. Every account you have should have a different password. But realistically remembering all these passwords isn't going to work as result most would keep some accounts using the same password.

So my question is LastPass what are the Pro's / Con's and general feedback.
    Would you recommend it?
    is there security concerns associated with it?

Im using it for a while now so heres no views

1) It works great for password makes you life much easier
    2) Password generation means a unique password for every site
    3) Cross platform so works on my iphone pc and mac
    4) Its secure, the way it works is you passwords are stored with them but there severs never have access to the data only you. So say there hacked and all the data is taken i mean everything. So what your password are all encrypted so and they never had the key.

They way I view the company is, there entire business model is security so one **** up on the web and everyone will know and that's them gone so I assume they take this all very seriously.

**Lastpass fanboy out**

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Dont think I could ever trust any piece of software with my bank passwords

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

Purpose of the thread is to determine risk. Accounts like your bank acc paypal and email account, i would have no intention having any product saving those passwords. Personally would wish all accounts provide some form of 2step verification.

Nothing is ever 100% and paswords that are easy to remember is a bad password. Also using same password for multiple accounts.

Lastpass states they save the password encrypted on their servers and the decryption happens on your pc , so the vunerable point would be there which, would make any other password manager useless as well. Im just lookin at it and just asking people's opinion about it and the risk they have identified with it. No intention of having all eggs in one basket

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

I use Last Pass and have done for a few years now. I'm happy with how it works and I'm as confident as anyone can be of the security of my passwords. I find it easy to manage and like the master password and the ability to access from other computers/devices.
    However, I never allow it to store my banking or PayPal passwords - these are kept in my head along with the master password (I can just about manage those!). To be sure to be sure is the only way where access to money is involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

I love Lastpass, had no issues and you can setup 2 step authentication if you wish... I used Google Authenticator as my 2 step app which adds a whole other layer of security to it.

Advertisement