Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portuguese laurel dying ?

• 17-04-2014 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭

Planted a single Portuguese laurel last spring.
    Looks extremely unhealthy now especially the side which would have been more exposed to winds during the winter.
    I'll attach 2 pics and appreciate any advice

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

km79 wrote: »
    Planted a single Portuguese laurel last spring.
    Looks extremely unhealthy now especially the side which would have been more exposed to winds during the winter.
    I'll attach 2 pics and appreciate any advice

Looks like a lack of nutrients...the grass is pretty sick looking too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

I fed it last spring summer and late autumn . I am in the process of feeding them all again. Should I prune it back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 U2sir

Hi, Looks like it could be a bad attack of shot-hole fungus. I have it on a laurel hedge. Recommendd to spray with Bordeaux Mixture.(Copper sulphate mixture)

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=568

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Waste of time, better to replace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

Waste of time, better to replace.

Do you think so ? What would have caused it to die ?
    Had a close look tonight. Don't think its shot hole.
    There is new growth /buds on front half . Nothing really oh back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Good ground preparation (digging, fertilise well and remove any grass, weed, stone etc) is essential for most hedging but especially the likes of Port Laurel, which afterall is one of the finest available.

I plant plenty of PL (mainly Angustifolia) and last June 2013, I planted a new hedge in my own garden. Initially I watered the hedge every 3 days for the first month and forthnighly for 10 weeks as well providing regularly feed (mainly Chicken pellets). PL can take some time to settle down but this is also a critical phase and the plant requires plenty of water and nutrient, if not growth will stall, plant will become stressed and suffer.

The results speak for themselves, rich dark green and well foliated plants from top to bottom with uniform growth all round. Already this year there is an abundance of new and very visible growth (easy to notice as all new leaf is bright green) and most importantly the height has increased + 200mm. I have planted 1.2m plants in an elevated (+ 750mm) raised bed and my target height will be 2.5m within 3 years and I believe I am well on course.

I continue to water and feed my hedge monthly and apart from an occasional tidy clipping of wayward branches it requires no maintenance.

Advertisement