Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem/ Router Combo Not Working

Options
  • 17-04-2014 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

I have efibre and bought an Asus RT-AC68U for better range/performance, as I have a fairly large house. I bought this modem to go with it http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003FZ3QSK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I recieved these both today and Im not getting a light for adsl on the modem. Is this modem compatible with efibre? It says on the front of the box for phone line connections.
    Ive been pulling my hair out all morning to try get this working!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You must configure the device correctly with your ISP settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

srsly78 wrote: »
    You must configure the device correctly with your ISP settings.

I tried I put in eircom@eircom.net and broadband1

What does the log file say? You should copy all the settings from the older router, not just the username+password.

Efiber uses VDSL, so not sure if an adsl2 router is compatible. Ask on eircom forum, probably unsupported.

What does the log file say? You should copy all the settings from the older router, not just the username+password.

Not sure what efiber actually is... ask on eircom forum. It is dsl right?

Thanks I'll give that go and let you know how I get on

I edited just as you replied. Efiber uses VDSL I think, and the router you linked does not support this.

Here is a megathread about the F1000 here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056966218

You might be able to enable bridge mode and connect your second router.

• Advertisement

I edited just as you replied. Efiber uses VDSL I think, and the router you linked does not support this.

Here is a megathread about the F1000 here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056966218

You might be able to enable bridge mode and connect your second router.

Thats a bumber, Ill have a look thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Doublelime

Your one lucky mofo because i had the same problem and I fixed it.
    Put your eircom modem into bridge mode and turn off dchp server.
    CConnect Asus to ethernet 1 port on Eircom. Put username and password into asus .
    I did it with gmt Vodafone modem so it could be different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Ronan14 wrote: »
    I have efibre and bought an Asus RT-AC68U for better range/performance, as I have a fairly large house. I bought this modem to go with it http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003FZ3QSK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I recieved these both today and Im not getting a light for adsl on the modem. Is this modem compatible with efibre? It says on the front of the box for phone line connections.
    Ive been pulling my hair out all morning to try get this working!

No, the modem you bought is not compatible with efibre, but you can bridge the Eircom one
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057186434/1/#post89858034

You'll then need to set the wan of the Asus to dial pppoe with the username and password

Thanks guys I managed to put the eircom modem into bridge mode and use the Asus with it! Although the range isn't what I expected from a router of its statute.

Range will depend on how you have wifi configured, and thickness of walls etc. Use class N 2.2ghz for best range. N 5ghz will give better speeds but worse range.

Best to have 2 wifi hotspots in house to give best coverage, connected via ethernet or powerline adapters.

• Advertisement

Range will depend on how you have wifi configured, and thickness of walls etc. Use class N 2.2ghz for best range. N 5ghz will give better speeds but worse range.

Best to have 2 wifi hotspots in house to give best coverage, connected via ethernet or powerline adapters.

Im using ac 2.4ghz and ac 5ghz so will the 2.4ghz have better range in this case?

Do all your clients support ac? Is the router using mixed mode? It's no good having an ac hotspot if the clients don't support this. AC wifi is quite new, so even newish devices like phones bought last year may not support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, this is especially true to get decent coverage on an upper floor.

Generally speaking most consumer wireless routers have omnidirectional antennae with 'doughnut' shaped radiation patterns centred around each antenna, so reception on the same floor is usually pretty good (any problems with thick walls or thermal insulation notwithstanding) but the signal above them is poorer. What's more, putting higher gain antennae on them in an attempt to improve reception on upper floors actually usually makes things worse, as these antennae usually have a radiation pattern that is just a much flatter doughnut, making the upstairs signal even worse.

http://www.l-com.com/content/Article.aspx?Type=L&ID=10155

Im not the most networking savvy person, Ide like to have a fast, reliable connection on both floors of my house (its fairly large and old). I thought this ac router would do this but It doesn't look like it. My laptop has wireless ac, then theres an xbox, two media centres and phones in the house. I would be open to all options, I could bring back the router and get a few n routers if thats what yere talking about.

Use 2 hotspots, 1 for ac, another for everything else. Then setup QoS properly so people hogging the network don't impact others. There is no easy solution to this, it requires some basic networking knowledge. So get a buddy to help.

What exact model router are you using for wifi? Expensive ones may be able to run 2 networks, but cheaper ones use "mixed mode" which just defaults to the lowest supported setting.

Use 2 hotspots, 1 for ac, another for everything else. Then setup QoS properly so people hogging the network don't impact others. There is no easy solution to this, it requires some basic networking knowledge. So get a buddy to help.

What exact model router are you using for wifi? Expensive ones may be able to run 2 networks, but cheaper ones use "mixed mode" which just defaults to the lowest supported setting.

As far as I know I can run two networks its an Asus RT-AC68U.

Don't believe the marketing hype. It will only work if configured correctly, and often these non-standard "turbo" wifi things will only give their "turbo speed" with specific wifi clients.

You would likely have better performance from e20 hotspots at either end of the house.

Get a buddy with some IT skills around to take a look, it's too difficult to diagnose remotely.

House layout and location of the wireless router can play a role too. Many wireless routers are placed along the outer walls of houses, so again with a typical omnidirectional antenna pattern, half of your output power is going to your next door neighbour rather than into your own house. You can sometimes achieve a bit of an improvement with home made parabolic reflectors to concentrate the signal in one direction, but it's very much a hit and miss affair.

Houses with thick walls, or even newer houses with foil backed insulation boards used in internal walls can cause havoc with wifi signals too.

Don't believe the marketing hype. It will only work if configured correctly, and often these non-standard "turbo" wifi things will only give their "turbo speed" with specific wifi clients.

You would likely have better performance from e20 hotspots at either end of the house.

Get a buddy with some IT skills around to take a look, it's too difficult to diagnose remotely.

Thanks for all the advice. Ill have to look into these hotspots!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Doublelime

Put mwv to the max at 100 and 200.But make sure the power supply is good or the the modem will drop connection a lot.

• Advertisement

Im using ac 2.4ghz and ac 5ghz so will the 2.4ghz have better range in this case?

Yes, about double the range. 5Ghz is usually poor outside the room the router is located

As far as I know I can run two networks its an Asus RT-AC68U.

What that means is virtual access points, no good in your case. This allows you do things like create a guest network on the same hardware, with no access to your devices.

No, portable hotspots are for mobile use.

Multiple hotspots correctly located give the best coverage.

F1000 (hotspot) <
    ethernet or powerline
    > Another hotspot at other side of house

If you live in a gigantic mansion then you want even more than 2!

Note no bridging involved. Also note you should just use cable if playing games or whatever, gives best connection. Finally - if there are multiple users you NEED to have QoS setup. Otherwise everyone will be lagged out once little johnny starts watching youtube.

I think you're confusing him with this hotspot talk, what he needs is an access point or a homeplug with built in access point. On mobile now so can't link one

As an example only (there are lots of manufacturers of this stuff), one of these, a starter kit consisting of one homeplug plus one wifi extender ...

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?categoryid=2244&model=TL-WPA4220KIT

.. and then as many of these as you need, depending on how big the house is ...

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?categoryid=2244&model=TL-WPA4220

If you can get Ethernet cabling to the locations where wifi is poor then something like this ...

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?categoryid=239&model=TL-WA801ND

I understand what your saying now. I could route an ethernet cable from my main eircom router to an access point somewhere else in the house.
    Homeplugs would be allot more appealing as there would be no wires but I had them before and the speed decreased when it was raining, is that a normal enough thing?

Older homeplugs were rubbish, newer ones are much improved. Get AV500 ones with gigabit ethernet ports. Don't plug other stuff in beside them.

• Advertisement

Older homeplugs were rubbish, newer ones are much improved. Get AV500 ones with gigabit ethernet ports. Don't plug other stuff in beside them.

Cheers I might give that a go actually.

Advertisement