Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling in sick?

Options
  • 17-04-2014 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi i work for a well known retailer and I'm suppose to be working tomorrow and Saturday but I can't because My girlfriends best mate is getting married and there is no way I can't go. My work doesn't allow anybody to request this week off on holidays because it's one if the busiest weeks/weekends of the year so I was unsure if I requested the two days off whether they would have allowed me to take them. I am scheduled in on my own in my department on the Saturday and there is nobody to cover me. I have a newish manager too who I have had a few run ins with and he doesn't like me at all. He is highly regarded in the company. Would my employers be able to punish me in some way for calling in sick like moving me to another department or reducing my hours further?..I only work part time hours and have not been in since Tuesday

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Hi i work for a well known retailer and I'm suppose to be working tomorrow and Saturday but I can't because My girlfriends best mate is getting married and there is no way I can't go. My work doesn't allow anybody to request this week off on holidays because it's one if the busiest weeks/weekends of the year so I was unsure if I requested the two days off whether they would have allowed me to take them. I am scheduled in on my own in my department on the Saturday and there is nobody to cover me. I have a newish manager too who I have had a few run ins with and he doesn't like me at all. He is highly regarded in the company. Would my employers be able to punish me in some way for calling in sick like moving me to another department or reducing my hours further?..I only work part time hours and have not been in since Tuesday

Punish you? Claiming you are sick when you aren't? They will fire you and rightly so if you don't provide a cert. Go to the afters, many of the invitees will be in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You don't need a cert unless you have been off for 2+ days.

OP: yes they can reduce your hours assuming that is allowable by your contract. If they think you are taking the proverbial they will manage you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Smurphy1988

davo10 wrote: »
    Punish you? Claiming you are sick when you aren't? They will fire you and rightly so if you don't provide a cert. Go to the afters, many of the invitees will be in the same boat.

I can't go to the afters if I go to work, the wedding is in the south and I'm living in the west of Ireland that's why I need the two days off. I have not been out sick all year either

You don't need a cert unless you have been off for 6+ days.

OP: yes they can reduce your hours assuming that is allowable by your contract. If they think you are taking the proverbial they will manage you out.

Can they manage you out though without any proof?

You don't need a cert unless you have been off for 6+ days.

Could you provide a link for your 6+ days statement please.

Employers can request certification for any absences due to illness for example 2 consecutive days.

• Advertisement

Pretty much, yes. If they think an employee is malingering they wont just let it slide.

Employers can request certification for any absences due to illness for example 2 consecutive days.

It's 3 days before you need a cert anyways

Right sorry, got confused with the payment window - its 2+ consecutive days that you'll need a sick cert for.It should be noted though that you can get a sick cert easily.

Pretty much, yes. If they think an employee is malingering they wont just let it slide.

But anybody can get sick at any time surely

You have to prove to your employer that you were ill and unable to work (cert) not the other way round. If your contract states your need a cert and you don't produce one, you are absent without leave and out the door.

• Advertisement

You have to prove to your employer that you were ill and unable to work (cert) not the other way round. If your contract states your need a cert and you don't produce one, you are absent without leave and out the door.

I know I don't need a cert when iv been out for 2 days I'm pretty sure it's 3

though that you can get a sick cert easily.

Ah, no you can't, you have to be ill, attend a GP, pay for the visit and convince a GP to sign you off.

It's 3 days before you need a cert anyways

Wrong, check your contract, some employers require it if two consecutive days are taken, most say three but there is no rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'd rewind to this bit.

You can not go. You just don't want to not go.

Diddling your employers, and leaving your department (by your own admission) unmanned or in a jock, with almost no notice on a BH weekend, is seriously bad form.

Yes, but you are not sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

If you call in sick and attend the wedding and someone at the wedding decides to upload a few pics on Facebook, then someone at work sees these photos..........

You see where this is going?!!

Best to be straight about the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Ah, no you can't, you have to be ill, attend a GP, pay for the visit and convince a GP to sign you off.

I am pretty sure there are enough doctors out there who will be happy to take your word that you were sick a few days ago and collect a few quid for signing a note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Red_Dwarf

How Long has it been that you knew about the Wedding?

Im sorry to say but you are contracted to work for that company and if you call in sick, they can take many actions against you including dismissal if they prove otherwise. The chances are they cant but you never know.

Its really your call what you do but remember there could be consequences for your decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Just pull an all nighter go to the doc say your having trouble sleeping with stress from work and need a few days off to just try and catch up on sleep and relax

In theory this is what you have to do, in reality it is not.

Yes, but you are not sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭coldcake

Does this really belong in Work Problems? Sounds like somebody wants advice on how to deceive their employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

If you wanted the time off work you should have booked it off or arranged for cover. If it's your girl friend's best friend getting wed you obviously would need to go but you would have also known about the wedding well in advance and RSVP'd to go to it.

What is going to happen your department if you just don't show up for work?

If you do call in sick and go to the wedding, there's a good chance you could be found out. What if someone else see's you in a photo on facebook, you don't know who could be connected to anyone else going to the wedding or knowing someone at the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

I think you shouldn't go to the wedding. Work comes first. You should have requested the days off two months ago when you received the wedding invite. I know you say that they don't grant leave over this weekend, but if you had brought the invite in and shown that you were genuine then it would have been a different scenario I'm sure.

When my brother was working in the local supermarket he requested my sister's wedding day off and was refused due to it being the week before Christmas. However, as soon as he said what it was for, and how he genuinely could not work that Saturday, they had no problem whatsoever.

Honesty is appreciated by employers.

Eoin wrote: »
    I am pretty sure there are enough doctors out there who will be happy to take your word that you were sick a few days ago and collect a few quid for signing a note.

You would be wrong Eoin, Medical Council have cracked down heavily on this since Prime Time reporter went around Dublin feigning illness and collecting sick notes. If employers suspect a particular GP is doing what you say, they refuse to accept sick certs from that GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

OP sorry can't give you any backing here.

You knew well in advance that this wedding was coming up, once you knew you should have booked your days off. Most employers will be very flexible when they know there is an event on the horizon, but they have no reason to be with a week or less notice. I think you're being a bit childish TBH. We all have to work, get time off etc; failing to see why you should be any different to the rest of us.

Why didn't you book the time off on time?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You would be wrong Eoin, Medical Council have cracked down heavily on this since Prime Time reporter went around Dublin feigning illness and collecting sick notes. If employers suspect a particular GP is doing what you say, they refuse to accept sick certs from that GP.

That's actually what I think I was basing it on - I'm glad to hear they're clamping down on it.

The practise is still widespread.

RachaelVO wrote: »
    OP sorry can't give you any backing here.

You knew well in advance that this wedding was coming up, once you knew you should have booked your days off. Most employers will be very flexible when they know there is an event on the horizon, but they have no reason to be with a week or less notice. I think you're being a bit childish TBH. We all have to work, get time off etc; failing to see why you should be any different to the rest of us.

Why didn't you book the time off on time?

I kept forgetting to request it off, I'm busy with studying for my masters too and it just kept slipping my mind. Stressed worrying about it now she'll kill me if I don't go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Weigh up attending the wedding and having a happy girlfriend for a night or being unemployed and job hunting on top of the stress of your Masters.

• Advertisement

I kept forgetting to request it off, I'm busy with studying for my masters too and it just kept slipping my mind. Stressed worrying about it now she'll kill me if I don't go

So go and risk losing your job or don't and she kills you. Just ask her what she thinks, then you can make it her problem \:D/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement