Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling in sick?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I kept forgetting to request it off, I'm busy with studying for my masters too and it just kept slipping my mind. Stressed worrying about it now she'll kill me if I don't go

How is any of that your employer's fault? (S)He's the one that'll be at a serious loss if you pull your sickie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

I kept forgetting to request it off, I'm busy with studying for my masters too and it just kept slipping my mind. Stressed worrying about it now she'll kill me if I don't go

She'll get over it, unfortunately when it comes to earning, your employer has the power not your missus!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

As soon as you found out about the wedding you should have arranged to swap shifts, it's still not too late to try.

As others have pointed out it's a small country and I wouldn't be surprised if someone you know through work is at the wedding or you bump into them around the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

My work doesn't allow anybody to request this week off on holidays.
    I am scheduled in on my own in my department on the Saturday and there is nobody to cover me.

Someone obviously has the days off, unfortunately it's not you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Hi i work for a well known retailer and I'm suppose to be working tomorrow and Saturday but I can't because My girlfriends best mate is getting married and there is no way I can't go. My work doesn't allow anybody to request this week off on holidays because it's one if the busiest weeks/weekends of the year so I was unsure if I requested the two days off whether they would have allowed me to take them. I am scheduled in on my own in my department on the Saturday and there is nobody to cover me. I have a newish manager too who I have had a few run ins with and he doesn't like me at all. He is highly regarded in the company. Would my employers be able to punish me in some way for calling in sick like moving me to another department or reducing my hours further?..I only work part time hours and have not been in since Tuesday

Why have you not been in since Tuesday? Not scheduled to work? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭aaronosiochain

I think you should go to the wedding. Dont listen to these "judgy mac judgersons"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

I think you should go to the wedding. Dont listen to these "judgy mac judgersons"

Well said. These people drive me mad. it is their attitude that astounds me - I understand they are correct but you'd swear he was off to commit murder.

Don't bother your arse going into work and attend the wedding. The retailer will survive without you (I'd say they couldn't less about you - most employers don't). I doubt your job is that important.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What a very grown-up attitude.

His employer is the only "judgy mac juderson" who matters, and (s)he'd be completely entitled to be very pissed off indeed, and take whatever action they deem appropriate as a consequence to being lied to and left in the lurch on a busy trading weekend.

As long as he goes to the wedding with his eyes wide open to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Well said. These people drive me mad. it is their attitude that astounds me - I understand they are correct but you'd swear he was off to commit murder.

Don't bother your arse going into work and attend the wedding. The retailer will survive without you (I'd say they couldn't less about you - most employers don't). I doubt your job is that important.

In all fairness, he could have told them months ago and it wouldn't be an issue.

We are very busy in July, a lot of people out etc. I told my employer in January I need a week of in July, no problem. I know that is a lot of notice but I wasn't waiting around for hassle at the last minute. Jeez, how hard is it to be upfront about things?

maguic24 wrote: »
    In all fairness, he could have told them months ago and it wouldn't be an issue.

We are very busy in July, a lot of people out etc. I told my employer in January I need a week of in July, no problem. I know that is a lot of notice but I wasn't waiting around for hassle at the last minute. Jeez, how hard is it to be upfront about things?

Agreed but big deal???!! Hardly crime of the century - some people need to get off their high horse. I agree he could have handled it differently but the tone of some of the answers is ridiculous.

Let's just say tis Tesco's for example. I have a strong feeling Tesco's will sruvive him calling in sick - Tesco's couldn't give a hoot about him. Tesco's has been around before him and will be there after he's gone.

Belt away and enjoy the wedding :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I can't go to the afters if I go to work, the wedding is in the south and I'm living in the west of Ireland that's why I need the two days off. I have not been out sick all year either

You're being selfish -I work in a small shop with only 4 or 5 staff and if holidays are taken already or not available then I do without the day off.

Can you not ask someone to swap the shift with you?

If you have to work and are willing to pull a sicky fair enough, but to be as brazen as to ask on a public forum how best to commit fraud, makes me wonder how much you care about earning a crust to be honest. Seems very short sighted.

Alas, Irish employment law means that unless you admit faking it, they won't be able to prove gross misconduct and thus can't sack you for it unless you've already received a verbal and two written warnings. :mad:

sdeire wrote: »
    You're being selfish -I work in a small shop with only 4 or 5 staff and if holidays are taken already or not available then I do without the day off.

Can you not ask someone to swap the shift with you?

If you have to work and are willing to pull a sicky fair enough, but to be as brazen as to ask on a public forum how best to commit fraud, makes me wonder how much you care about earning a crust to be honest. Seems very short sighted.

Alas, Irish employment law means that unless you admit faking it, they won't be able to prove gross misconduct and thus can't sack you for it unless you've already received a verbal and two written warnings. :mad:

Yes he deserves to be sacked due to opening up this forum. Mother of God.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Let's just say tis Tesco's for example. I have a strong feeling Tesco's will sruvive him calling in sick - Tesco's couldn't give a hoot about him. Tesco's has been around before him and will be there after he's gone.

He might be gone sooner than he likes though; there's no harm in people pointing that out.

The "high horse" card wouldn't be used if the OP was complaining about them leaving him in the lurch.

The OP has asked what the chances are of it biting him in the ass; people are telling him that he's not acting professionally, so it could well happen. I don't see much wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I didn't say he deserves to be sacked for pulling one sicky, I doubt there's a person here that hasn't done it once or twice. His attitude in public about it is a different thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Agreed but big deal???!! Hardly crime of the century - some people need to get off their high horse. I agree he could have handled it differently but the tone of some of the answers is ridiculous.

Belt away and enjoy the wedding :)

Don't forget your phone.

Lots of pic's for your F/B page, and plenty of tag's on your friends.

Then maybe a YouTube video, of you dancing, into the small hours

That will impress your Employer no end when some of your work colleagues you are leaving in the lurch, show them round the workplace next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

No stupid, he deserves to be sacked for feigning illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

You right that sentence as if that's a bad thing.:confused:

While I don't agree with what the OP is doing, it's not going to be the end of the world (or his employer) if he calls in sick.
    Is it irresponsible and childish? Yes.
    Is he, or his employer, going to care in a few months time? Probably not.
    Hell, he's probably not going to be working there in a year or two's time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

In fairness, if his employer does see this thread, it probably won't be too hard to see what's happened when S Murphy, aged 26 calls in sick tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That's not really set in stone though. There are recommendations and certain rules that must be followed (right to appeal etc), but that's not one of them.

If for example they could prove it, but it wasn't gross misconduct, they can go straight to a written warning, but would need to be able to back themselves up if it ever got to the labour court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Lifes too short mate, go to the wedding,deal with the consequences after

Enjoy the wedding, make sure you cover your tracks and I'd say Tesco's will survive and still be standing on Monday.

Don't ever forget a compnay like that will leave you go in hearbeat.

Just cover your tracks.

The old Facebook, Twitter thing does make it a bit difficult these days in all fairness!

Enjoy the wedding, make sure you cover your tracks and I'd say Tesco's will survive and still be standing on Monday.

Don't ever forget a compnay like that will leave you go in hearbeat.

Just cover your tracks.

The old Facebook, Twitter thing does make it a bit difficult these days in all fairness!

Yip, no doubt they will, and ya know, they won't miss the OP when he's gone. There will be no shortage if people to take his job. Everyone's a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

God damn corporate bigwigs always trying to keep the little man down.

Enjoy the wedding!

davo10 wrote: »
    Yip, no doubt they will, and ya know, they won't miss the OP when he's gone. There will be no shortage if people to take his job. Everyone's a winner.

You seem to be taking this personally - relax about it.

You seem to be taking this personally - relax about it.

Look, if the guy wants to go to the wedding, no prob, off he goes. But if he claims he is sick and gets caught out, job gone. So telling him to go on, enjoy yourself, don't worry, is fine if he doesn't need the job/income. If he does, then he should not complain if he loses it. He wants both, go to wedding and keep job.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Smurphy1988

davo10 wrote: »

Jeez relax judge Judy, maybe you could take my job. Tescos love the brown nose type 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

gouche wrote: »
    You right that sentence as if that's a bad thing.:confused:

While I don't agree with what the OP is doing, it's not going to be the end of the world (or his employer) if he calls in sick.
    Is it irresponsible and childish? Yes.
    Is he, or his employer, going to care in a few months time? Probably not.
    Hell, he's probably not going to be working there in a year or two's time.

The OP has a manager that they don't get on with and are leaving them in the lunch on a busy trading weekend. I'd say it'll be remembered and if he's not disciplined he won't be any near the top for any plumb jobs, like his current roll which he's worried about being moved from

I really doubt a company the size of Tesco would have a department with 1 employee scheduled to work a long weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Del2005 wrote: »
    I really doubt a company the size of Tesco would have a department with 1 employee scheduled to work a long weekend.

Exactly, so it isnt a company of that size at all. Listen OP, you are the one who knows if you are leaving people in the lurch here and how they will react if you do that. If you are the only person in this department, what happens to that department when you dont turn up? If the answer to that is anything other than mild discomfort, expect to be put under scrutiny and if your story is any way shakey, expect your manager to remember it, because let's face it, if you were in his position, wouldnt you? That is just the reality of it. It might be nice to listen to the people who are making the company sound like a big multinational and that your move is insignificant, but if you are the only person in a department that simply isnt the case. I would say there is a fairly decent chance you could lose your job if you were caught, so you need to decide if that is a big deal for you. Best case scenario it comes to nothing too serious and you learn to be a bit more organised in the future, because let's face it, if this was done to you by one of your work colleges I doubt you would be too impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Smurphy1988

Exactly, so it isnt a company of that size at all. Listen OP, you are the one who knows if you are leaving people in the lurch here and how they will react if you do that. If you are the only person in this department, what happens to that department when you dont turn up? If the answer to that is anything other than mild discomfort, expect to be put under scrutiny and if your story is any way shakey, expect your manager to remember it, because let's face it, if you were in his position, wouldnt you? That is just the reality of it. It might be nice to listen to the people who are making the company sound like a big multinational and that your move is insignificant, but if you are the only person in a department that simply isnt the case. I would say there is a fairly decent chance you could lose your job if you were caught, so you need to decide if that is a big deal for you. Best case scenario it comes to nothing too serious and you learn to be a bit more organised in the future, because let's face it, if this was done to you by one of your work colleges I doubt you would be too impressed.

I agree Iv acknowledged I should have been more organised. However there is nothing I can do now and I do not get paid enough for it to be anything other than mild discomfort

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement