Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Qs.

• 17-04-2014 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Taken From Text and Text 6 pg 10.

I need help in Q.8 and Q.11(If anyone has that book can you explain me how to do this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bar32

Just sub in a^2 and a into the functions
    Next line would read
    (a^2 + 5) - 3(a +5) + 2

a^2 + 5 -3a -15 +2

a^2 -3a -8

Hope this is right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

bar32 wrote: »
    Just sub in a^2 and a into the functions
    Next line would read
    (a^2 + 5) - 3(a +5) + 2

a^2 + 5 -3a -15 +2

a^2 -3a -8

Hope this is right

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Hi guys,

Could anyone explain how to do Q8 (c) in the 2014 sample paper? It's the one with Padraig and his pension scheme. I never know which formula to use for these financial maths questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

robman60 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Could anyone explain how to do Q8 (c) in the 2014 sample paper? It's the one with Padraig and his pension scheme. I never know which formula to use for these financial maths questions.

I just used sum of a geometric series, says it in the question :D be careful though as its the start of every year year 1 is to the power of 0!!
    If you meant d part (iii) you can also use geometric series using ans from part (ii)

Anyone care to help with 2014 sample q9 b (ii) ?

I just used sum of a geometric series, says it in the question :D be careful though as its the start of every year year 1 is to the power of 0!!
    If you meant d part (iii) you can also use geometric series using ans from part (ii)

Anyone care to help with 2014 sample q9 b (ii) ?

Well I tried that and the answer is supposed to be €358710 but that's not what I'm getting! It's the Sn=a(1-r^n) / 1-r equation right?

I'll reciprocate the favour and tell you that for 9(b)ii you must integrate the velocity for the equation up to 5 seconds and sub in 5 into the integrated equation to get the distance travelled.

Remember:
    differentiate distance to get velocity, differentiate velocity to get acceleration. Then integrate if you want the opposite.

• Advertisement

Well I tried that and the answer is supposed to be €358710 but that's not what I'm getting! It's the Sn=a(1-r^n) / 1-r equation right?

I'll reciprocate the favour and tell you that for 9(b)ii you must integrate the velocity for the equation up to 5 seconds and sub in 5 into the integrated equation to get the distance travelled.

Remember:
    differentiate distance to get velocity, differentiate velocity to get acceleration. Then integrate if you want the opposite.

Yep , that's the formula, you should have s25= 20000 (1-(1/1.03)^25) all over 1-1/1.03 and it comes out as €358710.84

Yeah, I integrated but got a funny value for c and then I put in 5 and wasn't getting the right ans... :/ probably a stupid mistake on my part... is there a solution for these papers anywhere??

Got all the Qs. Thanks guys

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I need help in Q.8 and Q.11(If anyone has that book can you explain me how to do this

Q11)

i) You sub in 21cm and 14cm for height and radius to get a value for V.

ii)If [latex]h = r[/latex] and they want the formula in terms of [latex]r[/latex] and [latex]\pi[/latex], replace [latex]h[/latex] with [latex]r[/latex] to get [latex]\frac{1}{3} \pi r^3[/latex]

iii) Radius is twice the height. So [latex]2h = r[/latex].
    They want it in terms of [latex]h[/latex] so sub in [latex]2h[/latex] for [latex]r[/latex].

[latex]\frac{1}{3} \pi (2h)^2(h)[/latex]

[latex]\frac{1}{3} \pi 4h^2(h)[/latex]

[latex]\frac{4}{3} \pi h^3[/latex]

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Q11)

i) You sub in 21cm and 14cm for height and radius to get a value for V.

ii)If h = r and they want the formula in terms of r and [latex]\pi[/latex], replace h with r to get [latex]\frac{1}{3} \pi r^3[/latex]

iii) Radius is twice the height. So [latex]2h = r[/latex].
    They want it in terms for [latex]h[/latex] so sub in [latex]2h[/latex] for [latex]r[/latex].

[latex]\frac{1}{3} \pi (2h)^2(h)[/latex]

[latex]\frac{1}{3} \pi 4h^2(h)[/latex]

[latex]\frac{4}{3} \pi h^3[/latex]

Thank you

Sorry OP to clog up your thread but does anyone else have major timing issues with maths?? I find it difficult to get the contexts and applications section of the paper done within any sort of a time limit :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Sorry OP to clog up your thread but does anyone else have major timing issues with maths?? I find it difficult to get the contexts and applications section of the paper done within any sort of a time limit :/

Honestly, I would say you will just have to wing it a fair bit when it comes to it, the papers for project maths are thick like that, just have to try and get through other sections very quickly to leave yourself enough time for longer sections, and i know that must sound like really crap way to look at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭accountname

Yep completely agree with you. Just took me about 2 hours atleast to get my head around section B of 2012 Paper 1, and that was with solutions! Somehow got everything done in the Mocks but I can't see myself finishing everything on the big day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

...on the big day.

What day? Am I missing something? Ah, yes - the big day! Only forty-seven small days left till the big one!

Actually I do not mind if People post here.
    I think this is a better way.
    We should just post all our questions and help each other in one thread rather then always creating threads for just 1 or 2 qs.

I was shocked in the mocks with how tight it was. You're given sufficient time if you know how to do everything. It doesn't leave much thinking time though.

I was shocked in the mocks with how tight it was. You're given sufficient time if you know how to do everything. It doesn't leave much thinking time though.
    Same I flew through questions 1-6 but the last 3/2 actually require reading/thinking/reasoning, in the mock I panicked with some of them that I'm sure I would have gotten if not for the time pressure! Of course you need to know how to do everything but they don't even ask you a straight forward question in the last sections!!

Good plan, we can have a question help thread here so :)

Okay, sorry to bump old threads but i decided it was better than clogging up tho forum with a new one.

Having trouble with the educate papers. I'm on sample 4 paper 1 question 8, part c ( find log(a) and log(b) from your graph)
    how the hell do you even do that?? i have the educate solutions but i don't understand where it's coming from :(

Advertisement