Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Yogurt Containers

Options
  • 17-04-2014 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi, sorry if this is in the incorrect place.

I am on the verge of launching a new yogurt product. i am 95% of the way there, however i am having big difficulty in finding a supplier for empty yogurt containers and lids.

Would anybody have a clue as to where i can find them? The only place i can find so far is alibaba but would like to get them in the Republic of Ireland. Should i contact the IDA and ask them? Appreciate any advice thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭thebannerboy

Thanks for that Peterdalkey, great help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭myIdea

Off-topic...

Similar request please...

I'm looking to buy a similar item to these http://www.cascadedesigns.com/en/platypus/bottles-and-storage/category
    ....not for drinking purposes but to hold liquid and have a seal-able cap of some kind.

myIdea wrote: »
    Off-topic...

Similar request please...

I'm looking to buy a similar item to these http://www.cascadedesigns.com/en/platypus/bottles-and-storage/category
    ....not for drinking purposes but to hold liquid and have a seal-able cap of some kind.

like these? http://www.daklapack.co.uk/laminated-packaging/stand-up-pouches-spout/

Hey Peter Dalkey i final;ly got a reply from Quinn but they only make the plastic sheets that are used to then make yogrt containers. They dont make the actual yogurt containers. Do you happen to know of anywhere else i can get them?

• Advertisement

Hey Peter Dalkey i final;ly got a reply from Quinn but they only make the plastic sheets that are used to then make yogrt containers. They dont make the actual yogurt containers. Do you happen to know of anywhere else i can get them?

most of the yogurt producers would use fully integrated form-fill-seal lines. best shot would be http://www.avoncourt.com in cork or unlikely Holfeld Plastics in Arklow.

No neither were any good unfortunately. Im almost ready to start producing my product but no good without containers to put the yogurt in. Hopefully somebody else might have an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

I have seen yogurt sold in little glass pots with a screw top lid and then a paper label seal over the top.
    Or if you were doing a large size pot would the tamperproof deli pots work?

Looks like you are no longer looking for yogurt pots! rather for food containers, what size? do they need to be hermetically sealed? If so how will you seal them? have you sourced lidding material? are you into big volume or country craft market type volumes? have you spoken to existing suppliers into your target market?

makeandcreate - i have seen the glass ones but am eager to stick with the plastic ones. I am going to be selling my new type yogurt for 99c initially

• Advertisement

Peterdalkey i am still looking for yogurt containers, the same ones that Yoplai do their yogurts in, 125g and i am also looking to source the lids. I will need to be able to seal them but not sure how. Do i need to purchase some sort of machine for this? The only other place that i can think of is Alibaba but i dont know if that is a scam website or not. Not looking for a big volume at first but will order between 500 - 1000 in my first order. What will i do?

Existing suppliers? Could i ring them and ask where they get theirs from? Would they be likely to tell me?

the big players buy in sheet in rolls form, print, form the shape, auto-fill the yoghurt and then seal the lids all inline on a huge machine!!

call up or ask some of the country market vendors for advice. You are not going to be able to replicate Yoplait and the like!!

makeandcreate - i have seen the glass ones but am eager to stick with the plastic ones. I am going to be selling my new type yogurt for 99c initially

Initially? I think once you set a price it's very hard to then raise the price as you have set the perceived value of the yogurt to the customer.
    I think I'd be looking at something that sets me apart - a nutritional claim, a location or an ingredient and go as high end as I could, especially when the volume is so low. At 99cents there can't be much to be made on 500 units?
    Otherwise - I worked a lot of years ago in a jam factory in Wales and basically we potted every different brand for all the different companies - do Glanbia or somewhere like that offer such a service?
    I like Glenisk yogurts - they've really developed the brand in the last few years & really found a niche for themselves (one of the guys was on dragons den recently having moved into a different food product market) maybe a company like that would help?
    Good Luck with it. Oh and I've had no problems with Alibaba or ali express and I've ordered stuff from 99 cents to 1,000 euro. But do remember to factor in customs and duty on the shipping cost as well as the price of products.

makeandcreate - Thats a good point regarding the price, i will think it over.

I think I'd be looking at something that sets me apart - a nutritional claim, a location or an ingredient and go as high end as I could, especially when the volume is so low. At 99cents there can't be much to be made on 500 units?

I have done exactly this, it is a very high nutritional and i have pointed out the exact USP on the front of the label. :) I am also making a very decent mark up. But that is with makeing them at my own hands, not paying staff etc.

I would hope to outsource the actual manufacturing of the yogurt once i had some orders. Could i just ask your opinon on something, my background is actually in IT so i am learning a lot of this as i go along. What sort of price wold you want to offer the yogurt to the supermarkets for? Im guessing 50 cent and that is what i am going to go with. Is that an acceptable sort of price?

In the meantime does anybody else know where i can source the yogurt containers? I dont wish to make the website public until i have them

Thanks

You are a very long way from being ready to seek a listing with any supermarket chain, based on the info here to date! You have no market intelligence on wholesale product pricing, no source or costings on basic packaging! Do you have a proper fully worked business plan, with actual costed production, distribution/returns costings/mechanisms etc. What about Branding/Advertising/marketing plans and funding for same. There are lots of food safety compliance issues to be dealt with before you can even think of bringing your product to market.

I went swimming last night and I've broken my mp3 player and as I splashed along my mind wandered to your yoghurt. Someone posted a link here to a really interesting Ted Talk about McDonalds and selling milkshakes and one of the things it did was assign the idea that instead of thinking you know why people buy - let's say yogurt - think of it in terms of what job that yoghurt does for the people.
    When I thought about it yoghurt actually does different jobs for different reasons.
    I buy small petit filou type yoghurts for the kids - these I pick whatever is on offer or own brand usually. They are to fill lunch boxes or after lunches and the millions of other kids that seem to turn up at meal times and are more often than not then scraped from the inside of bags and boxes uneaten and squashed just enough to let the contents escape. So they compete with cheap crisps, fresh fruit, fruit pots, jellies, cheesestrings etc for this "job".
    Then I buy the Muller corners and Muller lites - the kids and my OH like these - I admit I rarely buy at "full" price but feel this is overly inflated to allow for constant offers. Around 25% off will get me to buy. They are competing with other sweet treats - doughnuts, cakes, biscuits and other yoghurts for this "job"
    For everyday I buy Glenisk organic full fat yoghurt - this I have with a lot of things - salad dressings, stir fry, curry, soup and then I sweeten it instead of cream for on fresh fruit. It's a backbone in my fridge. Pay whatever it costs - have tried cheaper/other brands much prefer this one. It competes with other yoghurt brands, cream and creme fraiche for this "job".
    Finally - I buy those luxury yoghurts in fancy pots with pretty labels - that's because they make me feel like I am treating myself - so they are competing with cakes and pastries and other sweets for this job - NOT other yoghurts. I don't regard price point at all in this case.
    So I rarely buy yoghurt for yoghurts sake if you know what I mean. As an idea it has made me think about what I am trying to offer to the market and who my competitors are.

I am not sure about the supermarket price - I know that they deal on lower margins on some products it's not a straight double your money situation but with a new product they will probably want sale or return. Also it's not that easy getting a foot in the door - shelf space is valuable & yoghurt is a competitive sector. Do you have any contacts about approaching a chain?
    At 50 cents into the shop on small quantities I'd expect you to be looking at more than 30 cents for packaging per unit but I'm not an expert - I'm basing this on looking to source containers for craft products, more often than not they exceeded the cost of the product itself.
    I think you need to find a small Irish producer and then go ask them how they started. I'd also think more about a non traditional approach for packaging - crisps came in bags until Pringles - that certainly worked for them.

I can't find the Ted Talk link - maybe someone else will remember it. Worth a watch.

Advertisement